AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love it!

has a line out to my Stereo - stations range from 209 kbs WMA/MP3/Realaudio/Ogg down to 16 kbs.

most are 96-128 kbs.

I receive 16,000 stations from all over the world - hell I don't even need a wireless router (though if your nieghbor don't have one to piggyback on you will need to buy one ;-/.).

Grace uses the Reciva company's service - they have an allience with Pandora so I've created 4 Pandora stations that will play folks like Neko Case, Domestic Science Club, Puppini Sisters etc.. (you know stuff that the radio industry refuses to play!! artists that one never learns of if confined to the prison of mainstream radio programing). Also have an agreement with Live365 stations as well. - full access to ther VIP stations through the Grace radio.

for a reasonable 1.5 frankins one gets a lifetime of free and diverse hifi quality radio programing from all over the world ;-).

- AVS needs a WiFi Radio section IMO.

- its the future of radio, not HD IMHO.

have a great day all.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went to the Reciva site to check out the stations they have and was very impressed. Not only were my favorite CBS & Clear Channel stations from L.A. included but also a station I used to work for (KSWG) was there as well.

Indeed this is the future of radio with AM stations sounding better than AM-HD or FM-HD (when they run in threes) could deliver. And I serously doubt I could pick up 94.1 HD3 in Dover, Delaware much less KNX AM-HD.

Yet another reason to hang out in Starbucks.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I am starting to research what wifi internet radio I want to buy. Does anybody know how far from a wifi router that these will typically work? I don't need super long range, but might it work 200 feet from a router?

·
Registered
333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo /forum/post/16851882

I love it!.... I receive 16,000 stations from all over the world.....Grace uses the Reciva company's service ...... for a reasonable 1.5 frankins one gets a lifetime of free and diverse hifi quality radio.....

- AVS needs a WiFi Radio section IMO........ .

sounds great...i've been looking for an internet radio for a while now....but is it really a lifetime of free radio? i see a potential major problem here >

what happens if RECIVA goes away?....or starts charging money?....or otherwise just stops supporting this GRACE brand radio for whatever reason? how will u be able to add/change/edit existing or new stations to the radio without RECIVA?

the same thing applies to all the other brands of internet radio currently being sold......they all seem to be 'slaved' to RECIVA or PANDORA or one (and only one) of the few similar sites available.....

am i wrong about this major potential problem? can u enter new stations easily without RECIVA/PANDORA/whoever on any of the currently available internet radios? if not, thats a real problem....i dont want to spend money on a radio that might soon become unusable....

and yes, AVS does need a dedicated section for internet radio! or is there one that i missed in my search here?

does anyone know of another forum that has an internet radio area for these kind of discussions?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have both Roku Soundbridge M1001 and the Aluratek (AIRMM01F) units and love them. The SoundBridge is the cat's meow, but the Aluratek is a great value and works very well. Some may not like the styling. (There's a new design that looks much nicer, though I am OK with the "retro" look myself.)

I'm not too worried about the server sites. If they were ever abandoned, I think user-driven replacements of some kind would pop up. The interface for most of these units is fairly simple and there are engineers who know all the specs and who would share the info (i suspect) if the companies abandoned the market.

Anyway, some risk, but low, and meanwhile lots of fun and good listening to be had!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.