AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Run and don't walk to get Fox's demo DVD from Best Buy. Appears the be the highest quality PQ and SQ yet offered on DVD. Have only watched parts so far but extremely detailed pictures with no apparent EE. Will post later after had more time to evaluate.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At The main menu you have the following selections.

Picture (the Best in Picture Quality)

Sound (the Best in Sound Quality)

Features (the Best in Feature Quality)

Menus (the Best in Menu Quality)

Coming Attractions

DVD for Beginners

THX

Picture contains clips from: From Hell, The Hustler, Ice Age, M.A.S.H. (Restoration comparison), Moulin Rouge, Planet of the Apes, and The X-Files season 6 (1.33 and 1.78 comparisons)

Audio contains clips from: Behind Enemy Lines, From Hell, Moulin Rouge, and Planet of the Apes.

Features contains clips with pop screens from: Planet of the Apes, Moulin Rouge, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3, The Simpson's Season 2, Ice Age, 24 Season promo

Coming Attractions contains Trailers from: Daredevil, Like Mike, Phone Booth, Solaris (remake), Unfaithful,

DVD for beginners is loaded with useful info and aspect ratio comparisons (through I have only skimmed it)

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Woodward
What Demo Disc number is this? I have #1 but I have never really even looked at it.

Planet of the Apes' clips are so superior in quality to make it's muddy EE laden DVD all but unwatchable. Even the Moulin Rouge's clips seem to look better than the DVD (if that is possible).

The quality contained on this DVD is almost beyond belief, and has to be close to the limit of NTSC technology.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_M
What type of purchase is required?
I purchased MIIB and Ice Age (possibly required).

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
William it sounds like a SPAM disc with a few sprinkles of how to's. I for one subcribe to Pay channels to rid of spam, and you pay money to read it, no insult just a observation. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Any Fox title purchase will land you the free demo DVD.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
976 Posts
I should have gone on the checkout line a few times, because this demo disc is worth it just for the dvd case. BB had it on Tuesday when I was shopping, but I'd venture that they ran out after everyone realized that it was more or less free.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It was suppose to free at Best Buy. I demanded and got my penny back. You have to purchase Ice Age and get it for free. I told them that $0.01 is not free.

clopez

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I got it for .01 - no purchase, nothing. Was going to buy Ice Age, but asked how much the disc was if I don't buy it - 1 cent. Bought and paid for...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I wasn't terribly impressed by the quality of the movie clips off this DVD. The Ice Age clips were good, but that's to be expected from a digital -> digital transfer. I did appreciate the THX calibration tests. While they're quite basic, they'll do until I decide to spring for Avia or the S&V DVD. Still, can't beat it for $0.01.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I won't be near a best buy for a while (in Germany "Expert" or "Saturn" stores are the closest to a BB, and they are a weak, weak subsitute.

So I just used "Buy it now" on Ebay for the Fox Demo 2, .50 + $3.50 S&H.

there are a few still there (BB doesn't list the disc on their website BTW)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1981804943

Just a heads up to others looking for this who cant just swing by BB....

Kurt

·
Registered
977 Posts
This disc is nothing more than a glorified ad for Fox...if you see it in Best Buy then grab it, but its not worth going out of your way for.

Howie

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital Howie
This disc is nothing more than a glorified ad for Fox...if you see it in Best Buy then grab it, but its not worth going out of your way for.

Howie
It contains highly detailed clips that exhibit no EE, mosquito noise, or MPEG compression artifacts. I only recommend for PQ reference proposes, not content. ;)

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
woulnd't the clips on the DVD be the same as the dvds the clips are for? Would they really take the time to tweak the clips for this new demo dvd over the actual dvd releases they came from?

curious.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
woulnd't the clips on the DVD be the same as the dvds the clips are for? Would they really take the time to tweak the clips for this new demo dvd over the actual dvd releases they came from?

curious.
NO! Example: POTA's DVD contains lots of EE that is not present on the demo DVD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.