AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was marked down to $1099 at Best Buy here in Pittsburgh. I remember this set was $1600+ when it came out. The picture is gorgeous(after calibrating with DVE). I am going to rearrange the bedroom to get the screen closer to me. I am now sitting roughly 9 feet away. If i could get rid of the wife and put the tv in her place, that would be great, but ain't happening.

My question is, anything i should know about this set. Tricks, setbacks, etc..

thanks

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorkis
It was marked down to $1099 at Best Buy here in Pittsburgh. I remember this set was $1600+ when it came out. The picture is gorgeous(after calibrating with DVE). I am going to rearrange the bedroom to get the screen closer to me. I am now sitting roughly 9 feet away. If i could get rid of the wife and put the tv in her place, that would be great, but ain't happening.

thanks
Did you have trouble getting it into your room?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
Did you have trouble getting it into your room?
I got the KV34HS420 and had absolutely no trouble getting it's girth into my bedroom. A 30"er should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
I got the KV34HS420 and had absolutely no trouble getting it's girth into my bedroom. A 30"er should be a piece of cake.
Sweet.. I really want a XBR model.. My mobile home was built in 72, so the door ways are a bit narrow...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am from Pgh also and just bought this TV on Sunday. My issue is that it takes about 10 seconds to come on. Is this normal?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronorkis

thanks
Where did you get it for $1099? I was just at BB in North Hills and it was $1199.

--Ray

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
My issue is that it takes about 10 seconds to come on. Is this normal?
Mine takes 13 seconds. Was told this is normal I bought the tv at Sears Outlet in Bridgeville for $800. It was scratched on the side, but you can't see the scratches. I was at Best Buy in Bethel Park on Saturday and it cost $1199.

The picture is just beautiful, even in SD. When my wife makes comments on how nice the picture is, I know its nice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Care to share your picture and connection settings? I have the 34XS, and while I've managed to get a decent SD picture from my Motorola DCT-2500 cable box using S-Video, I would love to have a "beautiful" SD picture :)

(Of course, DVD on this set is freakin' UNREAL!)

Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
More often than not, the primary reason a CRT - HDTV doesn't show good SD TV is because your provider isn't pumping in a good signal. Double-check to make sure your signal is strong first. Then go to HDTV settings.

I've checked out various display technologies, and DLP is the only one that comes close to CRT and people still complaining about headaches, rainbows, poor vertical viewing angle, fan noise, bulbs burning; so, I'm happy with my Sony KD-XS which in HD almost makes things look 3-D.

Best Buy has an open box KD-XS955 for $1200 in Marlboro, MA and it is in great condition. I wish I had seen it before buying my new one at Circuit City for $1700. Be careful with CC open boxes cuz 1/2 the time they are trying to dump merchandise they know manufacturers won't take back. I've been very displeased with CC "service" and won't use them again.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptonydog
More often than not, the primary reason a CRT - HDTV doesn't show good SD TV is because your provider isn't pumping in a good signal. Double-check to make sure your signal is strong first. Then go to HDTV settings.

I've checked out various display technologies, and DLP is the only one that comes close to CRT and people still complaining about headaches, rainbows, poor vertical viewing angle, fan noise, bulbs burning; so, I'm happy with my Sony KD-XS which in HD almost makes things look 3-D.

Best Buy has an open box KD-XS955 for $1200 in Marlboro, MA and it is in great condition. I wish I had seen it before buying my new one at Circuit City for $1700. Be careful with CC open boxes cuz 1/2 the time they are trying to dump merchandise they know manufacturers won't take back. I've been very displeased with CC "service" and won't use them again.
Our X955 at BB is overly dark, & seems to be on it's last leg.. Never gets fed a good feed.. Just analog crap..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
Care to share your picture and connection settings? I have the 34XS
I dont have a picture, but my cable connection is directly into the tv. I have a new home with updated cables, so I assume that is helping the picture also.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
calibrate your display is the best thing to do

it will help SD content more than you would think

and if your cable box has component output use it instead of svideo or composite

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.