AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seller said the speakers were in very good working condition, So foolishly I didn’t check the speakers over the seller he even showed me the speakers but it didn’t register that they were missing dust caps untill I looked at one that did have one. Will this effect the sound? Or is it merely a dust cap? The L&R and Center have no dust cap entirely and it must have been removed

EDIT: Just tested them all the tweeters dont work.....

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Automotive design
Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Automotive tire Circle
Gas Camera accessory Circle Audio equipment Auto part

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
What brand/model are they? Replacements might be available, but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
This is why I would never buy anything used without trying it out first. If you paid cash, you're at the mercy of the seller. If you wrote a check, can you cancel it through your bank before it gets cashed?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Those look like they are the actual diaphragms, not dust caps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought a lot of used audio stuff (speakers, amplifier, processor) from my local Craiglist listing and I always make sure to test the product before purchase. If I can't test the product, even just plug in to make sure it turns on, I'll walk away. One time, a seller agreed that I can test out his speakers, when I got there he said his baby was sleeping so he would not let me test the speakers...I walked out right away.
Good luck with getting the money back as it will be very tricky!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Buying used always test. Also, while there are many sellers out there that try to pull a fast one on you, some legitimately may not have tested speaker fully. Hard to believe this seller didnt notice a tweeter being damaged like that, but then again neither did you upon buying the item. When you buy a product used, its typically as is - and unfortunately unless the seller wants to be nice, you've completed the sale and the speakers are now yours. Chalk it up as a lesson learned to fully inspect, and test prior to purchase. I had one guy who was selling a car subwoofer, but said he didn't have an amp anymore to test it with. I said no problem, I have one hooked up to my car to test. Needless to say, I threw him off guard and he stopped communication - that told me there was an issue with the speaker he didnt want to be revealed.

tweeters look easily replacable. What model speakers are these? You live and learn, but no need to stress or throw the whole setup out. First check with the manufacturer. if they don't have replacements, take one tweeter out ( looks like 4 screws ) and measure diameter, then Check parts express - while it might not be an exact match, you could possibly get an upgrade in the speaker depending on what tweeter you go with. Worst case scenario, you find a tweeter the correct diameter, but might have to make new screw holes to fit it in. Nothing to get worried about - looking like at most youll be out $20-50 for each replacement tweeters cost, but will also have a substantial upgrade depending on what you go with.

we can probably steer you on what tweeter to get replacement wise if we know the speaker model.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Might just be a loose wire. Pull the tweeter and take a look. If you paid < $100, not worth the cost or effort to fix IMO. Even if you find a tweeter that fits, you may have other problems like a bad crossover or the crossover not being at a good frequency for your new tweeter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unscrew them out of the cabinet and check for model #, specs etc. Call mfr if still in business. Plenty of speaker driver sellers around or at least there were like madisound, parts express, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Might just be a loose wire. Pull the tweeter and take a look. If you paid < $100, not worth the cost or effort to fix IMO. Even if you find a tweeter that fits, you may have other problems like a bad crossover or the crossover not being at a good frequency for your new tweeter.
really depends on the OP's speaker model. Easy to match a new tweeter to the manufacturer's, unless you are dealing with a very high end berillium type setup. Very easy to test a crossover too. Heck, might be able to find a pair of trash speakers as donors for the tweeter replacements.

·
Registered
88 Posts
you can clearly see this is not a loose wire issue. EVEN if there is a loose wire, the diaphragm of the tweeters are damaged. they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Seller said the speakers were in very good working condition, So foolishly I didn’t check the speakers over the seller he even showed me the speakers but it didn’t register that they were missing dust caps untill I looked at one that did have one. Will this effect the sound? Or is it merely a dust cap? The L&R and Center have no dust cap entirely and it must have been removed

EDIT: Just tested them all the tweeters dont work.....

View attachment 3178452 View attachment 3178453 View attachment 3178454
Pretty screwed unless the seller is willing to take them back and give you your money back.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you're pretty screwed unless you can get the seller to take 'em back and give you back your money.
called him, he said he never noticed the dust caps missing and said the tweeters were working fine when he had them what an absolute load of ****. Won’t refund me

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buying used always test. Also, while there are many sellers out there that try to pull a fast one on you, some legitimately may not have tested speaker fully. Hard to believe this seller didnt notice a tweeter being damaged like that, but then again neither did you upon buying the item. When you buy a product used, its typically as is - and unfortunately unless the seller wants to be nice, you've completed the sale and the speakers are now yours. Chalk it up as a lesson learned to fully inspect, and test prior to purchase. I had one guy who was selling a car subwoofer, but said he didn't have an amp anymore to test it with. I said no problem, I have one hooked up to my car to test. Needless to say, I threw him off guard and he stopped communication - that told me there was an issue with the speaker he didnt want to be revealed.

tweeters look easily replacable. What model speakers are these? You live and learn, but no need to stress or throw the whole setup out. First check with the manufacturer. if they don't have replacements, take one tweeter out ( looks like 4 screws ) and measure diameter, then Check parts express - while it might not be an exact match, you could possibly get an upgrade in the speaker depending on what tweeter you go with. Worst case scenario, you find a tweeter the correct diameter, but might have to make new screw holes to fit it in. Nothing to get worried about - looking like at most youll be out $20-50 for each replacement tweeters cost, but will also have a substantial upgrade depending on what you go with.

we can probably steer you on what tweeter to get replacement wise if we know the speaker model.

thank you for some hope. I was really disheartened after spending close to $300 for this whole setup and the guy describe it as “excellent condition” what annoyed me was the seller tried blaming me and said the tweeters we’re working fine when he had them. So no refund.

yes thanks what tweeters would be a good upgrade? The speakers are Yamaha NS-525F. Apparently great speakers for there day

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
called him, he said he never noticed the dust caps missing and said the tweeters were working fine when he had them what an absolute load of ****. Won’t refund me
Yeah, he's totally lying. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for the speakers. $300 is a hard pill to swallow. As others have mentioned, maybe you can replace the tweeters for a nominal amount of money, and still get some use out of them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, he's totally lying. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for the speakers.
$300 for the set. Gutted. He genuinely believed they were working fine though and is blaming me for the tweeters not working. My guess is he never even noticed.

these are the speakers anyway guys if you could please recommend an upgraded tweeter for all speakers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to parts-express.com. They have a bunch of replacement parts. You'll have to do your research as to what kind of tweeter will make a good replacement. You can also ask the guys at parts express. They are pretty knowledgeable.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts