AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hooked it up tonight and attached my 500GB Hitachi Deskstar loaded with pics and Videos. All my videos have no sound which I'll try to fix tomorrow by going into the options and disabling the audio Off option for multiple channels but the thing the manual did not address is that approx every 10-15 seconds my videos go into fast forward for maybe 2 or 3 seconds. This happens with VOB video files copied straight from recorded DVD's or files that have been merged to a single VOB or re coded to MPG's . they play fine in my computer with NERO, Windows media player or anyn other player I've ever used but not on the WDTV. Is this a known issue and how can it be fixed?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
60 views and no wisdom out there? Does this thing gotta go back? I got the audio going but even after copying a video file to a USB Jump Drive the FF problem is still there and actually worse so it's not a HDD compatability issue. I'm trying to recode something in the included Arc soft S/W now but transcoding all my videos to AVI is not an option.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Views w/ no responses are probably due to the same response I had when I read this.....'That doesn't sound right.' It looks like Bluewhale has the same inclination as I do to do a firmware upgrade. If that doesn't work, I'd send it back. If you try to play different movies/videos and this keeps happening, it may be somehow broken. Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys, I'm running the newest firmware D/L'd off the web last night. I transcoded a VOB file to MPG maintaining the same video size and frame rate and it played OK. I called WD Tech support and got a guy who didn't even know what a VOB file was! After putting me on hold for about 5 minutes he said the advertised VOB compatability referred to the types of files the Arc soft S/W could convert. Tell me it isn't so! This thing has to play VOB's!

Latest update, The WDTV does the same thing with ISO files created in NERO 7.5. I ordered this from newegg, I think I'll get a RMA from them and send this one back.

·
Registered
452 Posts
FYI...It does play VOB files. However, I have had issues w/ the FF and REW functions jumping all over the place. Because of that, I have started using MakeMKV to bundle the movie in an MKV container. This results in a single file that will FF & REW effectively and the chapters are maintained.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TDog1

Do you have the same problems with ISO files? Mine jumps on them too. How lomg does it take to convert to MKV? I don't have the most powerful system here, 3.0Ghz Athlon XP so re-coding not really an option.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, I picked up MakeMKV and it works great! It takes about the same time create the MKV file from a DVD that it takes to do a direct file transfer from DVD to HDD on my system. Kinda a pain in the A$$ to have to re-copy 200+ movies to the HDD but if they will all play with no problems its worth it in the long run IMHO. Now if I can just get my AVS Video remaker registration to take I can trim the ends and I'm good to go!

P.S. VOB merge seems to work with MKV files too, you just have to change the extension to MKV in the save dialog box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts