AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Good: ****ing awesome and ****ing fun. This game is going to be huge.

The Bad: The voice acting is some of the worst I've heard in recent years for a video game (and it's not even laughable bad--it's just bad). However, if this is a turn off for you then you would be missing the point of the game. Just don't even put that much stock into the quality of the it or the story. It's not important. You can't expect that stuff to be even passability good. Its awful, and that's just fine by me. This game doesnt need any of that to be valid though. In GTA, sure, it was great because it was such a grounded and story driven video game, but JC2 basically dumps you into a channel of islands with a parachute, a gapple hook and some guns and says 'have at it kid'.

That's it.

This game is--at its heart--a game. It's a hand full of a Jacks. It's a bat, a baseball and a glove. It's a set of Legos to make with what you will. I havent even played the full game and I can tell you that it's not a video game with a narrative that's going to be compelling in any way, and I couldnt care less about why I'm there, or who needs liberated.

I just want to go crazy in that game. I want to grapple onto airplanes, hijack them, fly up to the highest point in the game, jump out, free fall at 90MPH until the last 100 feet, pull out my guns and blow a bunch of **** up underneath me while I rack up chaos points while wearing my cheesy-ass leathers and slicked back hair. That's all I expect out of this game and you should too.

The controls are a little wonky at first, but by the second time I played the demo it was fine.

Very excited for this game!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
In a way, it sounds like Noby Noby Boy: more like a toy that you play with, than a game that you play. Except, of course, that Noby Noby Boy lost its appeal pretty quickly.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
It's more like a hybrid of Farcry and GTA. There's an open world, missions and side missions; but the amount of flexibility in completing them is insane.

One video showed an objective where someone had to take out a crane. You could do it the tested and true method and fight your way through ground forces, and plant a bomb. Or do what the Dev did; hijack a helicopter, tether a tanker truck to it, and use it as large wrecking ball inferno.

This game looks pretty sweet from what I've found so far. The gravy will be in the story missions through. The question is how repeitive does it become.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
God, I had so much fun playing the demo. Even if the story missions suck, it really doesn't matter. Looks like a return to the things that made GTA3 and Vice City so much fun.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Not sure how I feel about this, even after playing the demo a few times. It's like Mercenaries with better graphics and a few neat gimmicks (parachute, grappling hook, on-vehicle combat), but it all feels kind of empty to me. Does the full game have co-op like Mercenaries 2 did...?

- Jer

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've played the demo twice now, I cannot figure out if it is even as good as Mercs 2. In Mercs you had all the vehicles and weapons, but you also had co-op and special attacks like artillery, bunker busters, etc. If the story missions are bad in JC2 the whole game will crumble, parachute or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts