AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Link

64bit, nvidia CUDA support, dx10.1, lots of nifty stuff. Demo comes out on Thurs. I guess we'll know how good the game is then.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Amazon is offering a $15 video game credit for pre-ordering this game. The game requires Steam activation, so there really is no point in ordering directly through Steam at a likely price tag of $50.

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed the $15 credit, but you can pick the game up for $40 straight from CD-Wow. I'm going to see how the demo is first.

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nvidia obviously still has money to shell out on recent games, makes you wonder why ATI doesn't as often?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I do wonder what it is about the culture that often keeps AMD/ATI engineers from being deployed to aid game development in a specific way. It seems that NVIDIA is quite aggressive, as any company should be. Also, I'm sure the game developers appreciate the assistance from the perspective of furthering quality assurance.

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
 Demo is up on Steam.

Played around with it. It has a 30min limit but don't let that stop you, it's lots of fun. The graphics are great, and it runs really well. Just blow everything up. You really need a 360 gamepad to experience this one the best.

The release will be a Steamworks title, so you can buy it cheaper through retail channels and once you install it it's part of your Steam account.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I had a blast with the demo. I actually think a mouse and keyboard works better than the 360 controller, mostly because the aiming of the weapons and grappling hook is much better.

The game is loads of fun. Objectives like taking the giant statue down demonstrate the high fun factor. Audio is nice and dynamic, and the visuals impress. As usual, ambient occlusion is often a killer on the frame rate and can look odd at times.

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/18251098

I had a blast with the demo. I actually think a mouse and keyboard works better than the 360 controller, mostly because the aiming of the weapons and grappling hook is much better.

You can go into control settings and change the level of accuracy with the controller.

I had no problems running every single setting maxed on my [email protected]/8GB/GTX 295 (16xAA/16xFSAA/FSAO ON, etc). It ran absolutely smooth for me.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I know, but it doesn't seem right to me regardless.

For those who like vsync, make sure to use D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering. The game was at a near constant 30fps for me without it, but almost always at 60fps with it enabled. Ambient occlusion now has much less of an impact.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I find myself sightseeing quite a bit in this demo. Jumping out of helicopters or grappling onto high places can be exhilarating.

Oh, and it doesn't much more fun that riding high-speed on a motorcycle while in a shootout and then performing a really high stunt jump with a parachute landing. What a rush!

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely a day 1 purchase for me. It's amazing to me how many people are complaining about the PC version around the net. I actually think they did quite a good job.

BTW: Shoot a gas cannister, then grapple yourself to the top of it.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I already pre-ordered my copy.

It will probably get average reviews, but it will undoubtedly be one of my favorite "sandbox" games if the other areas are even nearly as fun as the demo.

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assume you ordered it @ Amazon? I'm thinking about CD-Wow. You don't get the GC but it only costs $40.99 straight up.

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's how to play the demo with unlimited time:

Quote:
In order to properly freeze the timer (not quite the same value as the one tested earlier in this thread, mind you), do the following (CheatEngine is needed, google it):

1) Start Just Cause 2, trigger the timer by jumping off the platform. Open the PDA by pressing F1 (or 'Back' if you're using an Xbox 360 controller) and check what the timer says. Memorize it, or write it down.

2) Alt-tab out and start CheatEngine. In CheatEngine, browse the processes and select JustCause2.exe. Choose 'Unknown initial value' from the 'Scan type' drop-down list, '4 Bytes', and hit the 'First Scan' button.

3) Go in-game again, un-pause and let some time go by.

4) Again, open the PDA and check how many seconds have gone by. Alt-tab back to CheatEngine and search for a new value, this time a 'Value increased by...' (or, as listed by the program, 'Increased value by...'), and enter the appropriate value (the time in seconds that passed) in the 'Value:' box. Hit 'Next Scan'.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you find the correct value, usually an address starting with '1A5'.

6) When found, double-click it to add it to the box below. Freeze it and play for as long as you want.

I tried it, it works.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
The more I play this demo, the more I realize just how brilliant the gameplay mechanics are. There are often many fun ways to complete tasks, and the black market weapon system is great.

Technically, the developers did a tremendous job with resource management. I still can't believe how well the game runs with such a large scale of high quality textures and very far draw distance.

To think that there is so much more land mass to explore.

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Once you have unlimited time you get to play quite a few missions on that one island. I had a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts