AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two years ago, I bought a Panasonic AE900U. As odd as it is, I got a big screen TV soon after and have never hooked up my projector.

I've just been lazy about it and never picked out a screen, but that's a thread for the screen forum.

I'm just wondering, I haven't followed them, how out of date is my then-bargain price $1700 projector now? I'm thinking of finally getting a screen.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Unless you can afford to throw that $1700 out the window, get a screen ASAP and enjoy. The current 1080p PJs are better and next years crop will be announced in a couple of months (they should be even better).

Your other alternative is to sell your AE900 right now. Then either forget using a front PJ, or get serious about using one. Your procrastination is costing you money.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig234 /forum/post/14272791

Two years ago, I bought a Panasonic AE900U. As odd as it is, I got a big screen TV soon after and have never hooked up my projector.

I've just been lazy about it and never picked out a screen, but that's a thread for the screen forum.

I'm just wondering, I haven't followed them, how out of date is my then-bargain price $1700 projector now? I'm thinking of finally getting a screen.

You bring an all new meaning to "digital is disposable".

I'll side with Clause on this one. Even better, make a screen. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We continue to enjoy our 900U.

We also have a large HT TV which is great for casual viewing but no dinky tv (compared to true BIG wall screen ALL tvs are dinky) can compete with the WOW or big screen home theater.

You don't need anything better than your 720p 900U which in an appropriately dark and set up room with a compatible projector will do a very good job with Home Theater.

Spend less than $100 for a decent up converting DVD player with HDMI output to your projector and you standard definition dvd movies will look very near HD and the 900Us resolution is very good for the highly compressed HD content now being distributed by cable and sat companies.

YIKES - get going with your projector - a 10 ft diagonal (or bigger) Home Theater image is already in your house and just waiting to be plugged in to shame your dinky tv.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
So you haven't even turned it on and shined it on a white wall?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone /forum/post/14273661

So you haven't even turned it on and shined it on a white wall?

Correct, analysis paralysis about picking a screen and laziness about figuring out how to hook it all up, I guess.

Thanks for the messages, and the fun one about the dinky tv
I don't have a suitable white wall now (the wall I'm planning to use has that old cheapo dark wood paneling, to the howls of friends who hate it), but I'll have to pick a screen and a way to get it hooked up.

I don't see the point in selling it for a big loss, or in spending a lot for the improvement from 720p to 1080p. I probably just need to use it.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig234 /forum/post/14275608

Correct, analysis paralysis about picking a screen and laziness about figuring out how to hook it all up, I guess.

Thanks for the messages, and the fun one about the dinky tv
I don't have a suitable white wall now (the wall I'm planning to use has that old cheapo dark wood paneling, to the howls of friends who hate it), but I'll have to pick a screen and a way to get it hooked up.

I don't see the point in selling it for a big loss, or in spending a lot for the improvement from 720p to 1080p. I probably just need to use it.

You kidding...you will be blown away.

1080p is nice, but even SD looks good on 100+"

You have HD!!! Get some hours on that bulb!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts