AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes and Yes.

For the price of the box after rebate, there's not much reason not to -- even if you only get a year or two out of it.

Heck, if nothing else, you get a neet 40gb HD out of the deal!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I know M$ has decided to abandon, are people still buying?
I don't think it is quite true to say M$ has "abandoned" UTV. They have definitely reorganized (code word for downsize) the business unit that handles UTV. They are however still actively marketing and selling UTV boxes and still have a customer support staff (probably small). At this time it appears unlikely that there will be major improvements developed in the future, however there is a chance they will release some of the functionality already developed but not included in the latest release.

Considering that DirecTiVos are almost impossible to get and/or are much more expensive, UTV is currently the only game in town if you want a Directv based PVR.

Jay

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
I know M$ has decided to abandon, are people still buying? Is it even still for sale?
If you are a new sub you can get a DTivo installed for about $100 installed or a UTV for free (not sure if that includes install.) Minidishes.tv is a good source for this as well as americansatellite.com. If you are an existing sub, good luck finding DTivo...UTV is still pretty cheap for existing subs...you can usually find them for under $100.

If you don't get locals with DTV you might want to consider a SA Tivo or ReplayTV.

-Ed

·
Registered
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edrock200

If you don't get locals with DTV you might want to consider a SA Tivo or ReplayTV.
I'm thinking he's more likely to go with Replay. Call it a hunch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Two people I work with have purchased and installed UTV in the last three weeks. They absolutely love it and one of them has already gotten the OK from their spouse to purchase a second UTV because, she likes it so much she wants one just for her shows. He's currently shopping around for a good deal.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a second unit myself but I keep thinking that Moxie might reappear someday soon and I really would prefer that solution over the multiple UTV's.

Don't get me wrong. I'm one of the early adopters of UTV. I bought it last May and paid full price for it. But, I don't regret the purchase at all. UTV has been one of the best things I've ever bought. My wife and I both really love it and I could never go back to just plain old TV.

Keith :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange

I'm thinking he's more likely to go with Replay. Call it a hunch.
I don't get it...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edrock200

I don't get it...
I do...... :)

-------------------

On the subject, if your committed to Directv as previous subscriber then UTV is the best deal right now till the merger is decided...

TiVo may be the best bet when they bring on their new series 2... the good deals for their series one is history... now owning one is a risk since parts seem to be scarce... future isn't looking to good just at the moment for Directv TiVo units..

With Cable STB's now offering (Scientific Alanta) PAV / DVD cabalibilty and Dish as well well Directv going to have a tough time ahead.. TiVo as well the other stand alone units unfortunately...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got my RCA UTV unit a couple days ago, loving it. Especially after

the 3.5 upgrade. Its no DirecTivo, but its growing on us, just gotta

work around its limitations compared to the 1.5 yrs of DirecTivo we

enjoyed. Hard to beat the price, less than a Directv-only dual

output receiver, which I needed anyway. Now to find a cheap

wireless keyboard.

Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
bought my 4th one two weeks ago and have talked 2 friends into buying a total of 3 between them. I think my father is going to buy two more for his house soon as well.

So to answer your question, utv is still very much alive. Unless DTV turns off the code for it I will use it until something better comes down the pipe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just bought and installed number two in the last few weeks, for me.. the wife had taken over UTV #1 with Martha Stewart, etc.

WRT to Moxie, XP Service Pack 1, what have you... might as well just enjoy the devices while you can; for all we know Congress will legislate

commercial skipping is illegal and our units will be worth $1k on E-Bay.

:)

Seriously though, I hold out faint hope that the UTV will either get an WIN-CE upgrade, thus supporting more peripherals, or better yet get moved

to a stripped XP version Microsoft has written for appliances/embedded

devices/etc.

My dream at this point is for Windows XP and an UTV upgrade to treat my UTVs as nodes on a Video network, or a least functional peripherals

of an XP box. That would make moving content between my two UTVs

I own much easier, and possibly add streaming to other Windows devices

a possibility.

Enough rambling -- yes people buy UTVs every day, even in their current form, they are a great deal.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
During the course of the past month, I moved to a new house, converted from cable TV to satellite, and have purchased 4 RCA UTV boxes (2 for the home theater room, 1 for the master bedroom, and 1 for another bedroom). So far, I'm pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I love my two UTVs. I've converted three friends and they are now "part of the family" as well.

Remember what plain old VCRs used to cost a year or two ago? How about a 40 gig drive? What's the price of a basic DirecTV receiver? What would you pay for an "online" two week TV guide at your fingertips? Let's say you wanted to add PIP to your TV (if it didn't already have it or wasn't equipped with it), what would you pay for that? Now I'd tell you you could have all that functionality without having to buy any video tapes or having to switch tapes or have to label a tape or figure out which one was which show. Then I'd say you could have all that for about $70 initially and $10/mth.

Where do I sign?

foghorn

·
Registered
56 Posts
If Microsoft didn't release any more updates it would still be a very functional PVR....

Im glad I made my decision to stick with Ultimate TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foghorn
I love my two UTVs. I've converted three friends and they are now "part of the family" as well.
I've considered getting a second one, but I thought I heard Microsoft actually charges a second 9.95/month? That sucks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
sans-logic:

No! Just the standard $5.00 extra fee from Directv for each additional receiver.

You might have to put them both on the same phone line till they get authorized so Directv knows there at the same location.. But they seldom require you do it.. they have that option...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just got my first ultimate tv from rca Radio shack sold it to me for $79.95 and doubled the warranty. I hdo have to wait for a new access card but I am sure fedex will have it here Tuesday. After I get used to running it I will perform the HD upgrade . Any thoughts on a newbie to this device? Mark

·
Registered
131 Posts
NEVER FINISHED - If you do the HD upgrade, don't let it upgrade to 3.5 before you do it. Otherwise you won't be able to re-use your old drive in anything other than a UTV.

Other than that, sit back and enjoy the UTV life. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.