AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to get some feedback from those who use furniture style cabinets to house the electronics of a system.

I have noticed many shelf systems have components almost sitting on the floor requiring the owner to get down on hands and knees to load/operate anything. Why?

Why not design a system that keeps the electronics within an easy, convenient and comfortable position?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/18191281

I was curious to get some feedback from those who use furniture style cabinets to house the electronics of a system.

I have noticed many shelf systems have components almost sitting on the floor requiring the owner to get down on hands and knees to load/operate anything. Why?

Why not design a system that keeps the electronics within an easy, convenient and comfortable position?

Sorry, Can't help here... I always wondered the same thing. Maybe it is to show off the beautiful high end cabling? Or the backs of the electronics and speakers.

BTW I use a Middle Atlantic draw-out and swivel rack...the disc players and other equipment which require interaction are at waist level to shoulder level.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
One reason is to get everything under the TV so that the cables won't be to visible. If you raise the equipment then you have to raise the TV which may not be what one wants.....

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can bend the cables at right angles to the TV BEHIND the shelves. IMO equipment that close to the floor is a target to be kicked, hit with a vacuum or at the least to collect an inordinate amount of dust.

My cables do not show and my equipment racks sit to the sides of the TV position and I can stand and see/reach everything.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Because if the cabinet was so tall that it was convenient without bending down, then the tv would be placed too high on the cabinet. The viewing height would be too high.

At least that is the way I am visualizing it.

But one man's convenient height may be too high or too low for another or for that matter a different tv.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The TV does not sit on this, the TV would be wall mounted seperately with its own mount and this would be mounted below it.

"Too high" is subjected, it all depends on where you are placing the tv/unit and what your seating setup is.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think what the OP is referring to, is exactly that of my setup:

And to address this from my personal perspective is that 1) I did not want vertical A/V racks on each side.. and I say each side, because I would want it symmetrical 2) the viewing height as others have mentioned 3) I didnt have an equipment closet to place the equipment in, and wouldnt want to anyway, because then I would have to go to said closet each time I wanted to load a DVD/BR

As far as being kicked or hit by a vacuum... I havent had any issues with this in the 2+ yrs that I have had it in place. However, I should also note that I do not have any kids. If I did and thought it was necessary, I would have put doors on the front of the cabinet to avoid the equipment from being damaged

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the pic that prompted my post. Using bifocals and having older, stiffer knees, that would be VERY inconvenient for me to use but yours is certainly NOT a loner in that respect.

I guess as I have aged I am looking for more convenience in the day to day operations. That is why we installed kitchen cabinets with full pull out drawers so we don't have to get on hands and knees to reach inside the cabinets.

Each to his own though and your setup does look nice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Agreed. At least at my young age of 28 I dont have those problems

I certainly see your point though, and Im sure there will come a day when I will have to change my setup from what I consider aesthetically pleasing to something more convenient for day-to-day use. That said, the only reason I ever have to physically access any of the equipment is to load a movie.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillMan17 /forum/post/18195142

The TV does not sit on this, the TV would be wall mounted seperately with its own mount and this would be mounted below it.

"Too high" is subjected, it all depends on where you are placing the tv/unit and what your seating setup is.

1/3 of the screen below your eyes......

the picture example is a very nice living room, but to me that TV is to high

Putting the equipment on the side as noted is a nice solution for some. Personally I wouldn't like the look of it nor have the room.

It is astethics vs convinent. For me it is a pain in the neck as my 2 year old wants to mess with the cable box all the time. But the TV is in the height where I want it and well just going to live with it. Not that I actually do anything with the equipment in my living room besides use the remote - setup hard, change cables hard but rarely done........

·
Registered
91 Posts
As you can see, not a big fan of >bending over> dust> had toddlers>

Oak unit is on casters for 2 finger rollout [even worked on carpet]> Sitting view height> Lots of storage> working on covering the spkrs bottom with leather

·
Registered
483 Posts
Other than loading media, we do everything from the sofa with remotes. And with the Popcorn Hour player, a large NAS in the closet, Netflix streaming, and a DVR, we hardly ever have to even open the doors to fiddle with the hardware. Ist nicht fer gerfingerpoken: relax und watchen das blinkken lights...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's just after so many years working on systems in every type of enclosure or mounting AND rewiring, performing PM or repairing I have come to really appreciate equipment mounted for secure yet easy access.

Standing on my head is NOT easy access.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts