AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG.

After four years of owning my Sony KV-32FS100, along with a Sony HT in a Box (with the DVP-NS315 DVD player), I've been thinnking about upgrading to a KD-34XBR970 (or whatever the replacement model is for 2007), before CRT's go away entirely.

Imagine my surprise while looking around these forums and various other Internet sites to discover that my old 32FS100 supports something called "16:9 Enhanced Mode". Now, this may seem a little silly to those of you who really keep on top of these things, but I've never really felt the need to obsess over my A/V setup. I've been really happy with my relatively low-end system, and after four years, the picture quality of my TV is still what I would call great.

But, after finding this out, and activating the relevant menu items in the TV and DVD player, I am absolutely *stunned* at the difference. And my DVD player isn't even "progressive scan" (and I've never had a "progressive scan player, so I don't know the difference in quality), and I'm only using the S-Video outputs (but the system *does* have component ins/outs, so I may change that...I've never used the component connections, so I don't know what difference it really makes--to tell the truth, I'm not even sure why I've never used the component connections).

In a word, wow.

All of a sudden, I feel the need to pull out all my favorite DVD's and watch them again!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I remember when I found that in the service menu of an old KV-27V66 that I bought off of craigslist, it looked amazing! Though think about this, the HD version CRT will have more than double the vertical lines of resolution in that same 16:9 area.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just so you know, your TV won't accept a progressive signal.

So, buying a new DVD player to get progressive-scan capability is money wasted.

Component connection may offer improvements, give them a try. Just don't spend a bundle on them. If you have 3 composite cables laying around, you can use those to test.

Congratulations on your discovery.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace /forum/post/0

Just so you know, your TV won't accept a progressive signal.

So, buying a new DVD player to get progressive-scan capability is money wasted.

Component connection may offer improvements, give them a try. Just don't spend a bundle on them. If you have 3 composite cables laying around, you can use those to test.

Congratulations on your discovery.

Enjoy.

I read someplace that if the component inputs are labelled Y/Pb/Pr, that it supports progressive scan, and that if it's labelled Y/Cb/Cr, it doesn't. The KV-32FS100 has the "P" labels, but I just found in the manual where it says the component inputs accept 480i only.

I'm still going to upgrade the DVD player to a DVP-NS75H, if I end up buying a new HD model.

I don't believe in spending a bundle on cables. The ones I'm using right now are GE brand that are relatively thick that I bought at Target. They were the best looking inexpensive cables I could find, and I've never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thought I'd just add to this message thread rather than starting a new one. I've moved up to a 5 year old Sony Wega, KV24FS120 and love it. 20" is somewhat small and 27" is too big for the bedroom, finding a 24" tube is real neat.

Watched a DVD for the 1st time on the TV this weekend and noticed it didn't look very nice. Thought I'd turn on the 16:9 enhancement and it really did make a big difference. Is it doing some kind of line doubling? The only downside is the enhanced mode really brings out bending of vertical lines at the top of the screen. For most scenes it's not noticeable while other scenes you can really see the distortion.

Just checked the service manual for another but different Wega set. Looks like there's a service mode and adjustment called "UCP" which adjusts the pincushion on the top of the screen. If I'm brave enough I may attempt to change the value and see if I can improve things.

It's a real buyer's market out there for tube sets. If you're still using an older curved screen Trinitron, now's the time to move up to FD Trinitron!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhiskers /forum/post/16606348

.....Watched a DVD for the 1st time on the TV this weekend and noticed it didn't look very nice. Thought I'd turn on the 16:9 enhancement and it really did make a big difference. Is it doing some kind of line doubling? The only downside is the enhanced mode really brings out bending of vertical lines at the top of the screen. For most scenes it's not noticeable while other scenes you can really see the .....

No line doubling. I've always been under the impression that the 16:9 enhanced mode feature allows the 480i (4:3) lines to be vertically squeezed down to a 16:9 presentation. This allows a 16:9 dvd to be presented using ALL 480 lines instead of having the black bars use up many of the 480 lines of resolution.

This feature can only be taken advantage of if the DVD player is set for 16:9 and is playing an anamorphic/enhanced for 16:9 dvd. Under these conditions, an anamorphic flag is injected into the video signal by the dvd player. When the flag is detected by the tv, the 16:9 enhanced mode is invoked. I don't recall whether component video is required for the flag to be passed.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird13 /forum/post/16783722

If you have a tv like the sony hs420 that will display 1080i, is it better to up-convert sd-dvds to it or use the 16x9 mode? Or can both be used?

Is your hs420, a 16x9 set? The hs420 has a very good upconversion algorithm integrated into the set. The set upconverts all SD inputs to 1080i for display. Setup your dvd player for 16:9 and use anamorphic/enhanced for widescreen DVDs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.