AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
projector. I had big expectations for this unit: It has 2000 lumen, DVI input and a good spec sheet.

I have been shopping for a LCD projector, due to big eyestrain problems with DLP (LT150). Last week I took a Toshiba TLP680 (1500 lumen) home and I was impressed with the colors and sharpness of the video (VGA from a HTPC).

Well, my expectations for the 810P have been shattered. Colors are not as crisp as the TLP860 and the image was soft and hazy. People's faces were fuzzy and on-screen motion was kind of choppy. I can't blame a DVD player because a PC was generating extremely smooth video from a Radeon 7500 AGP card.

Even the DVI input looked worse to me than the VGA input on the 810P. Maybe being a newbie, you have to fiddle with lots of setting or something, but the 810P just wasn't enjoyable to watch.

In comparison, I enjoyed last week's viewing of the Toshiba 860 tremendously. My wife agreed with my assessment between the 2 projectors.

Bottom line: You have to try any projector you are thinking about at home, before you buy it.

Has anyone else noticed this hazy video problem with Epson projectors?

- JP

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Stick with Sanyo, Sony, NEC, Infocus, Plus, or Mitsubishi for LCD HT application. Epson is more data PJ and not so well respected for video.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and the Toshiba was by far the best for video. The VT540 despite the "vortex" engine was the worst, with the Sony not much better.

The Toshiba was awesome and is my current favorite. I still have to look at the Sanyo's though.

- JP

·
Registered
150 Posts
jpinto,

I had the chance to have the LT150, VT540, Toshiba TLP-MT7, and Sanyo PLV-60 in my home for a weekend.

I agree with you regarding eyestrain and the LT150. I did also get a certain amount of eyestrain with the VT540 (blaming the poor scaler).

I was not really impressed with the Toshiba being fed with a JVC Proscan player using component video. There appeared to be video noise even with a still image such as the DVD player's opening screen.

The Sanyo has been the nicest so far (again using a JVC Proscan player with component video in progressive mode). Good color, good brightness, and little screendoor (which can be fixed by slight defocus). The only area it comes up short is contrast; however, I would like to see the projector with a high contrast screen such as the Greyhawk or similar.

I've not ruled out DLP yet. I hope to get my hands on the new Infocus LS110 later this month. I've been in contact with my local Duocom rep. for information.

Later,

Ray

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quality was excellent (discounting the fact that the source was a non-progressive DVD). However the 1000 lumen MT7 was comparatively dim when viewed back to back with brighter projectors.

That's why I liked the TLP680. I felt that the signal processing was the same as the MT7 but the brightness is 1500 lumen. Colors on both were excellent and the picture was just good to watch. Video artifacts aren't as big deal of a deal to me, because I am willing to drive it with a PC for the best possible video quality.

Where did you see the PLV60? How much is it?

I am going to see the Sanyo XU-35 today.

- JP

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
jpinto: I liked the image of the Epson 7250, I thought it looked clear and well defined (when compared to a Mitsubishy, NEC and Infocus). I guess I will have to take a look at the 810, to see how it compares to the 7250.

Does the Toshiba have multiple inputs that are accessible. I would need Video, s-video and a VGA input?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.