AVS Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I used the Sherman Williams paint and it looked very good with my old Mits HC3000 projector. However, I just added an Epson 3010 this past week and it's actually too bright. Whites are too hot. I'm going to paint over with a flat white.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on this tactic vs the MaxxMudd painting that other threads are discussing? Or would you use MaxxMudd on these laminate pieces?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972  /t/865595/just-finished-a-white-melamine-diy-screen-lots-of-screen-caps/60#post_22807185

Anyone have an opinion on tos tactic vs the MaxxMudd painting that other threads are discussing? Or would you use MaxxMudd on these laminate pieces?

Haven't a clue as to what tos tactic is.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972  /t/865595/just-finished-a-white-melamine-diy-screen-lots-of-screen-caps/60#post_22808274

That's the ipad autocorrect way of saying "this"

OK...I'm victimized by that sort of thing myself.

RS-MaxxMudd is a positive gain, contrast enhancing light silvery gray screen application. There is no Laminate or Melamine material that can be effectively compared to it.

The latter applications have been / are popular primarily because they do not involve painting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So my screen is now up and running.

I used http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_mdf-melamine-white-3mm-2400x1200mm-710136_5536.aspx as the backing, and bought some "Matte Clear Varnish" from Spotlight - it comes in 500ml tubs and I used three tubs in total. One thing to note is that it's hard to apply the paint directly onto the sheet - it's very glossy, and the paint tends to blob together like water does on a glossy surface. I left the blobs to partly dry, and then smeared it all over the sheet with some tissue paper. Once I had 100% coverage, then it was easy to apply a second coat directly over the top.

It looks great ! I'm using a Benq W1060 projector - in Oz you can pick them up from http://www.benqshop.com.au/w1060-refurbished.html for under $600 - mine looked brand new when it arrived.

The only thing left for me to do is make up some black masking that I can velcro to the screen for 2.35:1 content - I've got black curtains all around the screen, so the 16:9 picture is great - but the white bars on 2.35:1 content are really noticeable.

EDIT : I can't find the 3mm 2400 x 1200mm melamine sheet on Bunnings website right now, but http://www.bunnings.com.au/mdf-melamine-white-3mm-2440x1220mm-41834_p0610149 looks like almost the same thing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Update, added remote controled velvet maksing to my cupboard/melamine screen painted black widow. Rechargeable battery powered Rollertrol design, it's really cool

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Pics of the masking plz, or video since it motorized

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy*  /t/865595/just-finished-a-white-melamine-diy-screen-lots-of-screen-caps/60#post_23426232

Pics of the masking plz, or video since it motorized

K, I'll get some pics up soon.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts