AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just for fun I want to try to make a High SPL ported box for my RL-P 15 D2. I already have a nice large low tuned enclosure (8.5cf tuned to 15.45hz) that I am realy happy with for movies which is all I realy do with this sub anyways. But for fun I would like to take my 4.2cf sealed box I built a few years ago and port it kind of high and see what happens. I have no plans of keeping the sub in this new high tuned box for moves or anything I just think it will be fun to compaire the two.

My plan is to add three 4" ports that are 18" long to the 4.2cf box which should tune it to about 34-35hz

Im going to be using the 30hz Highpass on my Behringer ep1500 amp. The sealed box Im going to be using is H 23"x W 23"x D 17.25" I was going to port this on the rear top so I only have 22.25" to work with port wise.

Do you think the tune is too far away from the 30hz highpass? If any one has a better idea (remembering that Im not building anything just using what I all ready have), please share. Thanks

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve,

I got all the ports cut today and the holes layed out for cutting tomorrow. Ill soon have some measurements to compare both enclosures in the next few days for any one interested. I believe that the final design ends up being 3.6cf tuned to 36.5hz with 3 4" ports that are 18.25" long.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I think you might just like that midbass punch and it may turn out to be a great compliment to your LLT.

Your basically making a sub that conforms to the early THX spec which, if I am not mistaken, called for about 115db at about 30hz but did not specify anything lower.

I am really interested in how it turns out

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm interested in how this turns out as well. I'm thinking of doing something very similar - having a high tuned sub for music only. Need high SPL because the room is open to the rest of the house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts