AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun...What's the most funny/extreme compliment or reaction people have had to your front projector home theater setup?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Ya know, I've enjoyed my LT150 for almost a year now, and I feel I'm still wowed more than first-time viewers!

I've had a handful of people say, "It's like being at a movie theater!" Duh...I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not. LOL.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan JM
What's the most funny/extreme compliment or reaction...
Spontaneous uncontrollable laughter.

If people are a little bit younger, I always like to give a demo that really uses the subwoofers. When the bass kicks in it is almost scary and people can feel their pant legs moving. Then people just start to laugh spontaneously because they have never experienced that type of bass.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I first brought over my (East) Indian neighbor friend to see my JVC D-ILA, I had the picture muted with a carefully adjusted computer image on screen. I turned the image on and he started yelling "Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ!". :)

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
In My prior HT (which had two huge M&K subs) I used to use the opening of T2 as my demo...when the first robot foot stomps down on the bones as the battle scene begins, I regularly had people jumping into the air in fright. The sound prior to this is somewhat gentle, and the crunch of bones is quite startling when played at above movie theater volume...

I also used the opening sequence of Top Gun alot. People used to say it sounded like there was a real F15 (?) in my living room :)

TM

·
Banned
770 Posts
ok I have a good one. I'm watching Twister with my kids gone so the volume is really up. I go to the front door to let my friend in and I notice my neighbors entire family (him, his wife and two kids) standing in their driveway staring at my house. I walk outside and ask them "what's up" and he calmly states that he had just brought the family out to hear my movie. I started to apoligize for the volume and he said "no no we were enjoying it. please don't turn it down. I swear I live next to the Adams family

·
Registered
117 Posts
anthony: YES! That is the most dynamic peoplemover sound I've ever found. I had a woman at a small gathering scream, jump off the couch and slide under the coffee table like a panicked animal. Her bad--she was yakking and not paying attention after I dimmed the lights. As you would expect, the guys laughed and the women treated me like I'd trampled ducklings.

It's funny how now that they have the LFE channel, they are sticking in big pulses like that one all over the place. A GREAT one is in Crouching Tiger when the thrown axe hits the policeman's head during the night battle. I'm waiting for a big 120 db 28 hz thud when someone takes a groin kick. Maybe in the next Farelly brothers movie?

I think people don't realize what they are seeing when they see a good IMAGE these days; they just identify it as a small cinema image and enjoy the movie. The reaction comes when they go home and fire up the Mitsu 60 inch and wonder why it looks so crappy all of a sudden...

But when you can put out +/- 120 db of loud bass, twice as loud as the Cineplex, people sit up and take notice. Or sometimes fall over.

"Sensurround"

·
Premium Member
11,628 Posts
Most first time visitors are taken by the quality of the picture (G15/NRS+/Panamorph). In addition, however, I am a subwoofer freak (e.g. you can never be too thin, too rich or have too many subs). I have the equivalent of over 13 square feet of subwoofer radiating area (8 12's and 6 15's --- can anyone say "obsessive"), all with digital room correction so it is not boomy. The depth charge sequence in U571 compresses the air in the room so hard and so quickly, it literally will take your breath away.

At the end of that sequence, after I stop the picture, there is always dead silence from the visitor for about 15 seconds until they recover---followed by a long smile and then some explitive--gotta luv it !!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Upon feasting his eyes on the big picture for the first time, one of my friends yell "this is ridiculous!!!!"

I took it as a compliment.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"HOLY ****" is the response I get...

My room is designed so that people walk in right in the middle of the room, and the door they come in usually blocks the screen till they move into the room, normally they walk in, look to the left..say hi to the people on the couch, then turn to the right, then "HOLY ****"

OR, complete and utter jaw drop silence...

it is funny...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Take your pick:

1. "Holy S***!"

2. "No f****n' way!"

3. "Godd**n it!"

4. "Whaaat?!?"

5. "You muther...."

6. "That's the s**t!"

**And my personal favorite from my girlfriend....

"I'm glad you pick me to be your girl cause I know you'd be trying to lure chicks into bed with this thing!"

"Nooooo..." :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
I can relate!

I just had my front-door-neighbor over for the first time in the middle of last week and took him into the theater to see the "First Strike" chapter of Pearl Harbor. He sat in awe as the audio and video blew him away. His mouth was literally open as he stared down the image. When the chapter was over and I paused everything, he looked at me and said "Vic, I gotta get me one of these!". I laughed and said to him, "If I had a dollar for every time I heard those words" :D .

It is truly a great feeling to share the "experience" of having your own home theater with those who have never seen (much less imagined) what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My buddy has a 120" 1.3 gain diagonal screen coupled with the Sharp 9000 + NR scaler.

While we were waiting for the bachelor party "entertainers" to begin the 'floor show', he decided to play an appropriately themed DVD to help set the proper mood for such a gathering.

Wouldn't you know it that precicely when an extreme closeup flashed onto the screen the "entertainers" happened to walk into the room. One of them immediately screamed, "Oh my God! That 'Richard' is bigger than my car!!!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.