Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone

Just wanted to share a couple grabs I made when watching "The road to Eldorado".

The source was dvb satellite, the output was from a Sony 1031QM projector, with a 110" wide screen.

Watching this movie was just cool. Of course the movie itself is cool, we liked it. But the setup produced a very theater-like image. No scan lines, artefacts or whatever. Just fluid, theater-like stuff.

2:2 pulldown detection is quite stable now, up to the point that not a single glitch distracted us from the movie itself. This was not true until a couple versions ago.

Kudos to John Adcock and the whole team.

http://yvonus.grolamerz.com/DScaler/...o/tv000012.JPG

A dozen other captures can be found here http://yvonus.grolamerz.com/DScaler/Eldorado/

Enjoy!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hallo Yvonus, as you probably know i have quite a similar setup. Dscaler is mainly used in svideo with DVB Canal+ receiver (goldbox).

I find the quality of dvb transmissions of Canal+ Italy (D+) very unstable, sometimes the movie channels happen to have good PQ (last example known was SW EP1 this summer) , do you know if C+ use variable compression rates ?

I would like to make a list of the best PQ FTA channels available on Europe oh Hotbird bird, to me the german bouquet (ARD, 2ZF etc.) has very low mpeg2 compression and a very good definition. The test patterns available under the channel name TEST and EUTELSAT would be very useful if inserted in the auto-calibration of Dscaler.

Anyway DVB is mainly too low PQ to fully appreciate the potential of Dscaler, i 've never tried it with an external dvd player.

bye

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yvonus how do you get such wonderful images with TV input and DScaler? I have been dissapointed with the quality of my images using WinTV and Dscaler with straight coaxial cable INPUT. The image I get are nowhere nears as shap as yours....

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow .. won't harm anyone bumping this one up ;)

Was looking for the url of those grabs for someone else and realizing I didn't answer latest questions :(

Dub ; Perhaps I'm not as demanding as you are but I think that the dvb feeds, rendered by Dscaler on the big screen are more than watchable. Bear in mind though that my setup is a 1031QM projector, not for sure as detailed and precise as a Barco 1208 ;)

Alberich ; try voodoo (and I'm not speaking about the video card :D) or whatever magical related techniques. I've been using a very cheap Boeder grab card lent by a friend. Then wanted to give it back so I purchased a simple Rave card a lot of people use and in my setup it works just fine. However, the source is PAL and Svideo .. which accounts for a lot ! French Secam sucks big time with Bt chips. But yes, I'm really satisfied with those results. Makes the dvb receiver a quality source to watch movies from.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nice pics BUT, Dscaler usually looks sharper at low resolutions. Try anything above 800*600 and the picture will degrade. My biggest letdown is still sports, Hockey looks like crap on a 10 foot screen, only the close ups during play stoppage is crisp.

Josh

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks for the late reply Yvonus, i was meaning that a lot of DVB feeds are really orrible. I found that the new Gradual Noise Filter does a very good job on Mpeg2 blocking.

It mitigates the compression artifacts much better than the Temporal one.

I usually watch DVB on my DLP ONLY through Dscaler, the scaler integrated on my proxima DX3 is really bad

Bye

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yvonus,

Is there a way of seeing how the signal looked before Dscaler? I.e. a "before" picture to go with your "after"?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hate to sound like a downer here, but cartoons pretty much always look good :) I have to agree that the rez limitation of the broadcast does affect things like hockey and football....small, dark, moving things on a solid background. I still find it MUCH better than not using dscaler but can imagine that a 10' screen image would look even 'worse' than my 6' screen image. Can you grab a few non cartoon shots? Please understand that I feel Dscaler is a godsend and watching TV without it would blow but I think cartoon pix are kind of a cop out ;). Also, with N. American Satellite broadcasts, just like (apparantly) the euro ones, lots depends on the channel you're watching...PPV's generally look lots better than say the Home and Garden Channel. FWIW, I run a [email protected] with Dscaler and haven't found that turning down the rez makes much of a difference. Thanks for the pix Yvonus.

-Trouble

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.