AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent about $300 on X-10 for an apartment and to be honest, it seems like a very good value. Everything is working well and perhaps that is because it is smaller than a home?

However, a few things strike me as problems with the X-10. Don't the rocker switches look/seem cheap? The assembly seems to have a lot of play in it. I have been considering Insteon as a replacement for these. Good idea?

I like the controls for the X-10 via remote with IR-543 and their slimline stick on switch. While insteon now has a converter, the rest of their controllers seem bulky and not very aesthetic looking to me. Would it be better to go with Insteon components with X-10 controllers?

Lastly, the thermostat seems to be quite a challenge to control. X-10 does not really have a good solution and the Insteon solution is RF only. And since I do not like the Insteon controllers as I mentioned, and it is not compatible with their IR converter (only converts to powerline signals), are there any better alternatives?

Anyway, I fear I may have gone down the wrong path with X-10, but as a novice it is probably better to make mistakes on the cheaper stuff. It is just so much cheaper than the Insteon stuff and seems to work well enough.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Your results so far are typical. You won't get perfect reliability. You will find a light on when you don't expect it. Or off. You will try to turn a light on or off and it won't respond the first time, maybe second. You'll add a new PC UPS and all of a sudden a light won't turn on or off.

But for the most part things will work.

And, if you bought X10 brand, yes, they do look (and are) cheap. There are more expensive X10 technology switches that cost more and look / work better. I just found a half dozen brand new Leviton switches brand new in the box...wanna buy them?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts