AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got my first soundbar. It's a Sony CT60BT. Picked it up on sale at BestBuy. I know this isn't some top-of-the-line soundbar. And I'm not expecting to be blown away by the sound quality.

However, I find that the sound from the soundbar isn't loud enough. I like to watch movies at a "slightly louder than normal" volume and this soundbar only delivers a normal volume. I expect a little shaking/vibrating feeling from the subwoofer but in order to do that, I have to turn up the soundbar to the max.

The strange thing is, this only happens with Blu-Rays. I connected my phone via the bluetooth option, it's loud enough. Bass is amazing. It shakes the walls and the couch.

I connected my soundbar via toslink to the TV and the BD via HDMI to the TV. Is the TV limiting the volume? The TV is a 2013 LG

I live in an apartment so I don't think those 200+ watt soundbars are necessary. This Sony is 60 watts. Is that enough or underpowered?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If your TV has an audio out or a headphone out then I would try connecting the sounder to either of those connections. I wouldn't expect a small sound bar this size to play very loud. It has woofers that are less than a 2.5" and a subwoofer with a 5" woofer. There will be only so much this systems can do for being able to play loud. In this case it is not about the watts but size of speakers and small speakers can only do so much. Feed the same watts to a sound bar with bigger woofers like 4" and it will play louder. Try that connection i mentiond if your TV has those connections and maybe it will play as loud as the blue tooth.

·
Registered
650 Posts
He said he did connect to tv with toslink cable.I am interested in a answer as I am thinking about buying this soundbar.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yes but with the toslink he said it was not loud enough but loud enough with bluetooth. Trying another connection might be louder, might not, but worth a try. The physics of speakers is something with 2" woofers is not going to play very loud before it distorts or the volume is limited by the device so it doesn't blow the speakers. How loud one needs is individual. A 4" driver compared to a 2" driver has 4x greater surface area and can play louder and deeper for a fuller sound. If you want louder stepping up to a sound bar with bigger drivers become a necessity. Small is in at the moment and sound bars are being made smaller, however it doesn't agree with the physics of sound. The same is true of speakers, that is why you don't see Bose cubes at a rock concert no matter how cute they are:)

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Ps. I am not up on sound bars in this price range but Aurasound one for $200 has 3" drivers which should be a decent upgrade.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
First, check to see whether your connection to your soundbar is fixed or variable. If so, your connection may be the limiting factor.

The soundbar in question has pretty decent output, but not wall shaking, so you have limits.

If your TV has a fixed output via optical, then you are probably at your limit via this method. However, you may wish to see if your TV has an analog output (RCA) and whether this is also fixed or variable. If so, this may enable you to have higher headroom. If you already know that the SB can play louder via Bluetooth, then you know you have more capability and at this point the TV, in one form or another is the limiting factor.

As info, a headphone jack, if available is not an optimal solution. The sound would probably be distorted via the headphone jack as there is a certain preconfigured sound curve to compensate for the earphone and direct coupling to the ear via most earphone jacks as well as a decided roll-off in bass output.

David

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reference is 85 db at your seated position with 20 db of head room. That is what I would consider "loud". If you are turning it up thats mostly due to dialog not being intelligible. Making the room quieter is your easist way to make the speaker "louder". If lowering the noise floor of your room is not an option.

Try adding a powered subwoofer to the sound bar if it has an out. We use a small 38" vizio sound bar that cost $80 or so in our bedroom. It is OK but once we added the bass for the low end it let the speaker send more power to the upper register making the overall sound clearer and more full. It sounds excellent now for movies and music.

But if that is also not an option I would suggest returning it and getting the vizio http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S4251w-...UTF8&qid=1439992697&sr=8-3&keywords=vizio+5.1

We got it for the parents as a christmass gift and its play plenty loud for movies in their living room which is a 20x20 space or so. The sony soundbar should state "out put" in DBs. This one is rated for a max of 102 which I assume is at 3meters. but they don't specifically state that.

I would return the Sony if your not satisfied and go with the vizio. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts