AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with Panasonic's Concierge service and if they will help with a single dead green pixel right smack in the center of my new screen (I have had it only about 4 days).


Marc


Update: I got it from Amazon. I guess that means I can return it within 30 days. Anyone have experience doing that? I am looking for tips such as be aggressive, or ask for the manager, and such stuff. Any comments will be helpful. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,088 Posts
1 dead pixel is not considered a defect by any manufacturer. If you are dealing with Amazon you may be able to return it "just because".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts
Can you see this dead pixel from your normal viewing distance? Or do you have to be abnormally close?


Panasonic has replaced or repaired plasmas with one stuck pixel for some AVSers here so you might be in luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
When I bought my Panny last year, I had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen too.. I let it go for a two days(Really didn't notice it until I was close to the tv), but it got the best of me.It was a brand new TV and I didn't want a defect in it...SO, I called Panasonic up and they sent out a tech to fix my Plasma.. He showed up, took my tv, and in a about 2 weeks(Would of been sooner, but weather conditions prolonged delivery), I had my tv back.. They replaced the panel on it.. I would say give them a call..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I had a monitor from a different company. the pixel was bright green and really bugged me. the guy on the phone said that it was within spec. then I remembered like you did about "satisfaction guaranteed". sent it back and said that I was not satisfied.


If you do this, my advice would be to get a full refund. then buy it again from them or someone else. that way it is unlikely to just slip into their warehouse and out back to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
Isn't "spec" something like 5 dead pixels?


Honestly, if I ran a store and only one of 2 million pixels wasn't working, I wouldn't do a refund or exchange unless Panasonic fully compensated me.


Of course, you could take it back in and then sell it to someone else. There's about a 98% chance the next person wouldn't notice it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malmsteen /forum/post/15549268


This seems like a dumb question being it's only 4 days old.

.....

I hope you never have kids man..are you going to ask on a forum for advice?

So you are saying that asking for advice from people with experience is dumb?


Handling customer service, and getting the most out of them, often requires expert knowledge. Like when talking to a DSL tech and knowing to say that you need level 2 tech support instead of the level 1 monkeys. Or if you call directv and mention a certain competitors deal, you will get free HD receiver.


I have learned and gained from tips like that on forums in the past. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience working with them and had any advice that would give me an edge.


I feel that going into a situation blind when there are people willing to help with free advice is dumb. I guess you prove that old saying is true, "There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers."


To everyone else thanks for your time and your advice.


JesterOC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
I had a 50 inch Panasonic plasma. They said that if I can see it, they will replace it. I had owned it for 4-5 months at that point. They replaced the pannel for me. What I would do is to see if you can take it back to the store you bought it from first, and if all else fails, call Panasonic. They are awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an Update so people can learn from my experience.


I decided to call Panasonic for two reasons. I figured that getting a new one from Amazon could just get me another bad pixel, and since Panasonic's concierge service promised a loaner TV it would not be a hassle.


Ran into a problem, the company assigned to fix the TV said they had never heard of the loaner program. We called Panasonic and their rep said it was only IF they had one to loan, we pointed out that there was nothing in their press release that mentioned it was an option. After arguing over this for about 5 minutes we decided to just have amazon replace it, as they had promised to take the old one when they delivered a new one.


We called amazon, they wanted a case number from panasonic customer service, and then offered to replace the TV. At which point they realized that they had sold out of them, and it would be 1-2 months before they got more in!


At this point I started thinking that perhaps I will go with Panasonic again to have them replace the panel. Because I feared that it might take longer than the 30 day return policy from Amazon, I asked for an extension to the return policy, and got an extra 20 days. I asked them to send us an e-mail as "proof" in case we ran into trouble later.


At this point I am trying to figure out what to do now. Go with the repair, or get a different TV. Either way I will be out of a TV for a while. If I return the TV, I am not sure how long it will take for amazon to credit us back the money, and I don't want to float two flat screen TV's on my credit card. I will most likely go through Panasonic and hope the company they contract through will not take too long to repair it. Oh well. I'll keep updating this post just for the sake of completeness for anyone in the future.


JesterOC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 /forum/post/15547616


When I bought my Panny last year, I had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen too.. I let it go for a two days(Really didn't notice it until I was close to the tv), but it got the best of me.It was a brand new TV and I didn't want a defect in it...SO, I called Panasonic up and they sent out a tech to fix my Plasma.. He showed up, took my tv, and in a about 2 weeks(Would of been sooner, but weather conditions prolonged delivery), I had my tv back.. They replaced the panel on it.. I would say give them a call..

This is the thing I can't figure out. Why would Panasonic take the tv all the way back and replace the panel on it. They might as well have given you a new tv and taken the other one and refurbished it. Are you sure they didn't give you a refurb because the warranty I have says they can replace my tv with a refurbished model at their discretion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 /forum/post/15566784


Why would Panasonic take the tv all the way back and replace the panel on it. They might as well have given you a new tv and taken the other one and refurbished it. Are you sure they didn't give you a refurb because the warranty I have says they can replace my tv with a refurbished model at their discretion.

I agree but that is what they are telling me. The company they are subcontracting out to do this will pick up the TV, replace the panel, and hand it back. Sounds odd to me too. The only comfort I get is that I assume that they will check the new panel and make sure it looks fine before they return it. What I fear is that they scratch it up, or that it just won't look as good as the original.


JesterOC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterOC /forum/post/15552086


So you are saying that asking for advice from people with experience is dumb?


Handling customer service, and getting the most out of them, often requires expert knowledge. Like when talking to a DSL tech and knowing to say that you need level 2 tech support instead of the level 1 monkeys. Or if you call directv and mention a certain competitors deal, you will get free HD receiver.


I have learned and gained from tips like that on forums in the past. I was just wondering if anyone else had experience working with them and had any advice that would give me an edge.


I feel that going into a situation blind when there are people willing to help with free advice is dumb. I guess you prove that old saying is true, "There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers."


To everyone else thanks for your time and your advice.


JesterOC

To an extent. Whose going to live with the defect -- them people over the Internet or you? If you can't accept it but everyone on the Internet says otherwise, why agree? I don't get this because I believe he has a valid point -- excluding the other ramblings about politics.


About your specific situation. There's not really much to say. Amazon has a satisfaction policy. You have a dead pixel. You aren't satisfied. Not much to say otherwise, ask for an exchange. Whether you want to go ahead or get a different TV is up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vud911 /forum/post/15566846


To an extent. Whose going to live with the defect -- them people over the Internet or you?

Me.


When did I ask if it was acceptable to live with it? I asked for help to get what I want. I think you are reading what Mr.Malmsteen wrote and commenting on it, rather than reading my posts and seeing what I actually posted. If there is confusion on what I wanted to express I'm sorry. I did not think I would have to write a post in the voice of Leonidas ("THIS IS BROKEN!") just to gets some friendly advice.


So lets drop this BS OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
After this experience, are you going to buy a big item like this from Amazon again? It looks like you are going to be without a tv for awhile now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
For that reason i buy large item from local store, there is no easy solution to this, OP is the guy who spent all his money and has to wait for who knows how long. the prices are very competitive in stores, In case of TVs there could be so many things that could go wrong and hard to explain on the phone, recently i have bad experience with an external hard drive that did not work with my DVR, i had to return it (bought online) i was told i had to pay 15% restocking fee and and ship it back at my expense it will cost me to $30 to $35 to return. When all work it is good but when it doesn't it is awful.


Good luck with OP, he deserve better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 /forum/post/15567599


After this experience, are you going to buy a big item like this from Amazon again? It looks like you are going to be without a tv for awhile now.

True, but it is my choice. I still have saved 1k vs a store. The only really bad thing that happened was that Amazon ran out of the TV. I had a similar problem with Best buy three or for years back, when I had another TV that had issues. We waited 3 months for them to stock a replacement TV. They would not even hold it for us. We had to call every week to see if it was in. In the end we gave up waiting and upgraded to another more expensive TV.


So compared to that Amazon seems to be just fine so far. I am more mad at Panasonic and their lie about loaner TV's. One of the reasons for going for the Panasonic over the Samsung was the concierge service. It still is not enough for me to switch to Samsung (The Panny is brighter and our room is a bit bright in the daytime, and the Samsung gets really hot and I don't like the idea if that).


We shall see how this all works out.


JesterOC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless /forum/post/15570978


Can you ask the Concierge if there is another repair shop within distance that would have a loaner?

Good point. We did not, however the first guys they set us up with called Panasonic back an said we where too far away for them, so then they set us up with the current guys. We actually still have a our original Sony Gand WEGA TV we can still use, but we where going to give it to some friends of the family whose TV burnt out right before Xmass. Getting a replacement from Panasonic would have allowed them to get our TV faster.


I will check with Panasonic today if I have time, otherwise the appointment is for a Saturday pickup.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top