Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Sorry for all the posts lately, I appreciate all the help everyone gives here.

Ok, so I got impulsive and bought a dell 4550. I have been meaning to built my next pc but, after months of research, I blew it and bought in on the latest dell deal. I couldn't take the pressure any longer. :eek: I couldn't afford the 800mhz bus chipset anyway so I'll built on the springdale in .5-1 year.

so anyway, it's a solid setup:

P4 2.8, 512 ram, 30GB HD, dvd-burner +R type, 20" lcd monitor, etc...

I know I need a videocard and have a thread on that already. I will get another hard drive later. Sound card is needed as well. And a cd-rw drive.

Assuming I buy a videocard and soundcard, what do I need to get my PJ showing scaled 1:1 images? DVI cable right? dscaler? and some dvd software? Is that what ffdshow is?

Anyway, I'm new to the software side of things and, while familiar w/ different names, I'm a bit weak on the foundational side of things. Like filters. wtf? :eek: and Powerstrip! almost forgot that one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please but I'm thinking I use a software program to read my dvd player for movies, that may or may not be ffdshow. Then maybe dscaler screws w/ the 480(i or p?) and makes it whatever resolution I want. Then perhaps Powerstrip tells the computer it's okay to send that resolution to my PJ, which I pray gets this signal through DVI cable and I'm watchin' stuff. Is that close?

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone.

Rob

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well, first of all, I would only install one thing at a time and test it out. That way if anything causes system instability you can figure it out. Since you mentioned DVD software playing I would go ahead and first install your video card and sound card. Get a video card where you can make custom resolutions (9700 pro). Connect via DVI for the best picture quality. Then install powerstrip and get that up and running so you can get 1:1 pixel mapping using your projector.

Then get your software DVD player: either TheaterTek if you want aspect ratio control to fill your screen or WinDVD platinum. Once that is successfully running, consider zoomplayer for further control.

Once you have all those components up and running, come back and begin to learn how to use Dscaler with a TV tuner card.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well to start off (I'm not expert, I just play one on TV) FFDShow is a post processing video filter meant to clean up video and make it look the best it can be and that kind of stuff. There is a thread in this forum on how to use it, I plan to go through it myself since I'm not having luck with it thus far.

What you may want to do is get trail versions of many of the apps discussed on the forums (WinDVD, TheaterTek, Zoom Player etc.) and try them out on your PC, that's what I'm doing and I'm learning alot that way in addition to what I read on here.

One thing I can say is that it won't be an overnight thing to be sure, there is a lot of pissing around with these things to be sure, something I'm up for though as a long time tech. :)

Here's a link to Dscaler it should help you understand it a bit more (new to me too).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Since you're starting, I'd worry to get a signal to the FP. Use a software player of choice, people here tend to prefer WinDVD or Sonic DVD, and set up a resolution that feeds 1:1 to your (I assume digital, since you ask on DVI) FP. For this, you may need Powerstrip, to create that exact resolution that isn't natively supported by your graphics card.

When you get this, you'll start worrying about graphs, Zoom, FFDShow...

BTW, DScaler is another proggie entirely, it's used to DEINTERLACE (misleading name, I know) external sources, like TV, LD, Sat tuners, etc...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob4x20
dscaler is for TV?
Not really, Dscaler runs on a common chipset that is found on a lot of but not all TV tuner cards, basically uses the chipset to re-scale the image to another resolution...

Careful, as the line from the movie(The Matrix) goes, take the blue pill and the story ends, wake up from all of this, carry on your life (buy a Bravo D1 or Samsung H931);)

or take the red pill and stay in Wonderland and see how deep (your pockets) the rabbit hole goes! This is the HTPC route, very time consuming, can be rewarding, but never really finished. With a decent video card ATI9000Pro, a DTS/DD sound card, A software DVD player, PowerStrip and you'll have a great movie picture.

But, if movies are all you after, TAKE THE BLUE PILL! , buy one of the above players and enjoy just as good a picture, don't take my word for it, read the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=249247

Oh Yeah, I have a front PJ and HTPC with 1:1 pixel perfect mapping and love the picture, but it wasn't straight forward or easy, but it was fun in a sick kind of way:p

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you gettting the dvd players b/c you're sick of the htpc or b/c you are curious?

I guess we are all just after the best PQ possible. :)

later

rob

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo Cruz

BTW, DScaler is another proggie entirely, it's used to DEINTERLACE (misleading name, I know) external sources, like TV, LD, Sat tuners, etc...
wow, that's good info. :p I didn't get it. dscaler doesn't scale??? thanks Ricardo! haha I thought it was for resolutions b/c of the name. dorkola.

thanks for the info, all good. any more pointers?

edit = oh, and any broad advice on moving vhs to dvd +r? I guess that's what I'll do w/ the drive I got :rolleyes: thx!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Quote:
are you gettting the dvd players b/c you're sick of the htpc or b/c you are curious?

I guess we are all just after the best PQ possible. :)

later

rob
Rob, if that question was for me, then my answer is quoted just above these words...

Also more simple and cheaper:)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Rob, all scaling is done by your graphics card, when you set the resolution via it's display driver. All Dscaler does is take NTSC's 480i-->480p. Then the card scales 480p-->whatever (like 1024x768, ie, 768p)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:

so anyway, it's a solid setup:

P4 2.8, 512 ram, 30GB HD, dvd-burner +R type, 20" lcd monitor, etc...

I know I need a ......... And a cd-rw drive.

Rob
Why a cd-rw? or any cd? do you plan to copy so many cd's that it would be a hassle to image to HD with the dvd burner for your cd burning needs?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch
Why a cd-rw? or any cd? do you plan to copy so many cd's that it would be a hassle to image to HD with the dvd burner for your cd burning needs?

well, I am a very lazy person so imaging would be a PITA for me, but I'm also concerned about read speeds on the dvd+r drive for gaming, and wear and tear w/ only one optical drive.

Am I worrying about nothing?? Let me know b/c I can sure save a c-note anyday!

thx

rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.