AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

After researching a lot on the forum, I decided to buy a Samsung PN50C7000.

And I still have some questions, I hopefully I will be able to get some help with you guys.

I upgraded the TV to C8000, using the service menu and changing it from c7000 to c8000.

Part 1 2D:

The tv really will get better image quality after breaking in period?

I am asking, because I using the Cnet settings, I got really disapointed (with this settings, not with tv) and I will show you why:

Source HP Laptop with HDMI, running Inception 1080P MKV file:

This are the Cnet Settings:

This are a mix of my preferences with Cnet settings (under the Cal-Day)

This are my preference settings (under Dynamic):

So far to every single person that I show the settings say the one under dynamic is better.

So, is more a matter of personal "taste" of the way you watch tv, or after breaking in period I will be surprised?

PS: I will post more pictures later when gets dark so we can compare.

----------------------------------------

Part 2 3D

Well, my starter kit is the one with 3 Shreks movies plus the cupom to redeem Shrek 4.

Are these movies really 3D?

I tried to play the movies using the power dvd 10 (which has 3d features) and when I turn on the 3D mode ON THE SOFTWARE, the only thing that happens is the colors get weird green tones (like if you change a ntsc source for pal). Turning on the 3D on the tv and the software same thing. So the best way so far is 2d mode on the software and 2d-> on the tv.

To compare I got Alice in Wonderland 3d Trailer:

( http://www.hotfile.com/dl/59245534/3....1080p.ts.html )

And this one works perfect (source my laptop via all share stuff).

The thing is Alice in Wonderland has the side by side image 3d, and Shrek has not, it has the shaking 3d (sorry guys I don't know the patterns name).

So, is it the starter kit movies real 3D?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Using published settings is pretty hit and miss as it is... I've calibrated many displays where the owner had put in published settings and the pic would have been better at the default settings for that mode.

Also, computers can be notoriously different than components, usually due to settings in the computer (ATI Catalyst, video overlays, etc).

As a first step, I would try looking in your laptop's video settings and see if there is a way to change colorspace from RGB to YCbCr.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Get a calibration dvd or pay someone to calibrate it...how old is the set? Did you break it in for 100 hours?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I posted before more pictures, during the evening without external lights
Source Laptop with HDMI running Inception 1080P MKV

Dynamic (with personal settings)

Cal Day (mix of Cnet + my settings)

Movie (Cnet Settings)

Movie (Cnet Settings)

Xbox Dashboard and Call of Duty Black Ops

Movie (Cnet Settings)

Movie (Cnet Settings)

PS: I don't why but all the dynamic pictures have more saturation than the real image (probably is the bad photographer here)

About 3D I've been watching on Brighthouse some on demand 3D stuff, really astonishing, I am enjoying every frame!!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a PN58C7000 and about 2 months in I def agree the PQ is better than when I first got it..

I wouldnt have upgraded the firmware.. you can get a really good picture without upgrading to the 8000 software

·
Banned
992 Posts
Your first set of pictures where in an extremely well lit room. C-net settings are for a fairly dark to dark room so it's not surprising "dynamic" looked the best to you, it would in a well lit room.

Your second set seem to be in a darker room? In a darker room the c-net settings will look better.

You can get your TV calibrated for different lighting conditions to optimize it's performance in varying lighting conditions. You would change from movie to standard to whatever depending on the lighting in the room.

If you do get it calibrated, live with it for a while before you give up on the settings. Unfortunatly different sources will look better or worse depending on how well or poorly they where mastered.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orakulo /forum/post/19541603

Hi folks,

Are these movies really 3D?

I tried to play the movies using the power dvd 10 (which has 3d features) and when I turn on the 3D mode ON THE SOFTWARE, the only thing that happens is the colors get weird green tones (like if you change a ntsc source for pal). Turning on the 3D on the tv and the software same thing. So the best way so far is 2d mode on the software and 2d-> on the tv.

To compare I got Alice in Wonderland 3d Trailer:

( http://www.hotfile.com/dl/59245534/3....1080p.ts.html )

And this one works perfect (source my laptop via all share stuff).

The thing is Alice in Wonderland has the side by side image 3d, and Shrek has not, it has the shaking 3d (sorry guys I don't know the patterns name).

So, is it the starter kit movies real 3D?

Thanks everyone!

The movies are real 3D, but you need an actual 3D Blu-ray player in order to see actual 3D. (You probably should have gotten one free with the TV, Samsung is running a promo)

PC playback is not going to be actual 3D. You can do 2d ---> 3D conversion on the TV, but that is simulated 3D.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 /forum/post/19545804

The movies are real 3D, but you need an actual 3D Blu-ray player in order to see actual 3D. (You probably should have gotten one free with the TV, Samsung is running a promo)

PC playback is not going to be actual 3D. You can do 2d ---> 3D conversion on the TV, but that is simulated 3D.

It doesn't look like real 3d because when I run them in any blu ray player the image is normal, not side by side or so...

BTW I got some 3d mkv on the internet (all side by side) and it is astonishing!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some pictures about the white levels issue:

There's no calibration or setting that makes the white levels (at least those that I tried) more white!

I just hope that after the breaking in period it gets way better!

·
Registered
82 Posts
have you notice the 2 most often complain about samsung plasmas on your set? 1) buzzing - when you put the TV on mute and put your ear right next to the screen, and 2) Image Retention - when you watch ESPN and the channel logo is always there, or if you pause a video game and just leave the image there for 5-10 mins and watch other programs there.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail
have you notice the 2 most often complain about samsung plasmas on your set? 1) buzzing - when you put the TV on mute and put your ear right next to the screen...
This isn't a valid complaint - ALL Plasma TVs buzz to some extent, even the quietest units can be heard at one or two feet away in a quiet room and this is normal for all brands and models. The complaints come from when the buzz is so loud that you can hear it from your viewing position - if you can hear it buzzing loudly from your chair then the TV is defective because this is not normal. But placing your ear against any plasma screen will result in hearing a buzz. You shouldn't hear it from say 5 feet or more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Randy, I agree with you that all plasmas buzz to certain extent and that it's been mentioned by all manufacturers in their operating manual. However, while I can't scientifically/statistically argue against this.... all I can say is anecdotally, I've actually physically went into a Best buy magnolia quiet room, tested some models of C7000 and c8000. Some had the buzz, some didn't when placing the ear right next to the screen. Now, I'm not saying that this is a real issue, of course if you're 9 feet away, it's not going to make a difference... all I'm saying is that there is an actual buzz in some instances and not in other instances with the same model of TV.... Thus, this would lead me to believe that there might be some sort of quality control issue with the Samsung manufacturing... but I might be wrong.

Bottomline, I really like the C7000 and C8000 series, and I'm now considering buying one even with the warnings about the 2 issues...

Btw, can you please comment on the IR issue that's often discussed... do you see it on your set?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
This isn't a valid complaint - ALL Plasma TVs buzz to some extent, even the quietest units can be heard at one or two feet away in a quiet room and this is normal for all brands and models. The complaints come from when the buzz is so loud that you can hear it from your viewing position - if you can hear it buzzing loudly from your chair then the TV is defective because this is not normal. But placing your ear against any plasma screen will result in hearing a buzz. You shouldn't hear it from say 5 feet or more.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've seen Inception many times now, so I remember what it's supposed to look like. Your dynamic settings are way oversaturated, honestly CNETs settings look the best from what you've shown, but they could still use some work. I'd get a calibration disc like Spears and Munsil and do some adjustments using that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts