AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought the new samsung and hooked up my ps3 to it through hdmi, now im kind of regretting the whole thing

I mean now all the games are so damn jaggy, its making me sick, the samsung displays everything so sharp, warhawk on my old 27inch 720p tv looked great with no jaggies, and now it looks so grainy and jaggy on hdmi. although the color is really good.

can someone help me out, does anyone else game with a samsung and happen to experience the same thing, maybe someone can give me there calibration set up so i can try to fix it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW just did some searching on this sight and saw some people with setups that have there contrast ratio down as low as 3 and high as 6.

is there a reason why people that calibrate there tv's all lower their contrast for movies and games. Is it just samsung's that come with crazy high contrast or do almost all new hd tv's have to have there contrast lowered extremely when you calibrate them.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmartigan10 /forum/post/15418799

WOW just did some searching on this sight and saw some people with setups that have there contrast ratio down as low as 3 and high as 6.

is there a reason why people that calibrate there tv's all lower their contrast for movies and games. Is it just samsung's that come with crazy high contrast or do almost all new hd tv's have to have there contrast lowered extremely when you calibrate them.

You should pick up Avia II, I know avia I did a pretty good job of explaining how and why calibration settings were the way they were. But each tv will have a different contrast ratio because not everyone is exactly the same, and it depends on what the person likes to see. You may also need to check your sharpness and basically knock that down to like 4, or something really low like that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my bad dude, i meant sharpness not contrast, yeah why does every tv have their sharpness so high, i actually have mine at 6 and i see jaggies in blue ray movies right now, so i might knock it down even more.

why is sharpness so damn high on these tv's.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah the default settings on most TVs is just ridiculous. Definitely do yourself a favor and get a calibration disk like Avia or DVE. Generally speaking Sharpness should be turned all the way down (to 0 or whatever) because on most TVs Sharpness only applies EE (or something similar) which is not in the original source material.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
it probably came out of the box in vivid mode and all the processing on, which is the last thing you want. Turn that junk off and do a calibration as suggested. If you search the calibration forum here there's a sample avchd disc (avs709) that you can burn to a dvd and use the test patterns to dial in your settings a bit. It's free and is a small download.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup, I'm guessing it was the sharpness. I have mine set to 0, for most lcds, I think 0 is your best option.

Although some newer models make 50 the new zero, where the 50 setting is no sharpening, and making it lower than that actually artificially softens the image. So in those cases I'd leave it at 50 or just slightly higher. A calibration disc helps with this immensely.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admo1972 /forum/post/15424361

Yup, I'm guessing it was the sharpness. I have mine set to 0, for most lcds, I think 0 is your best option.

Although some newer models make 50 the new zero, where the 50 setting is no sharpening, and making it lower than that actually artificially softens the image. So in those cases I'd leave it at 50 or just slightly higher. A calibration disc helps with this immensely.

I usually set my sharpness up a little higher than whatever the disk calls for because that is how I like it
. Maybe 4 extra clicks nothing to crazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.