AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never posted here before but have been a big fan for a while. I just ordered a 46" panasonic G10 and decided I needed a quality sound system to go with it. I made a deal with the guy at the store to give me a pretty good discount on the YHT-591 Yamaha system so I got that also. I have that now but the TV is on order, so I've been busy setting up the receiver and speakers.

My question is this - after setting up the speakers, cutting/stripping my own wire, etc. I ran the auto-calibration. I got the warning-1 message which indicates that the speakers are out of phase. I am positive that they are connected correctly. I have searched here and it seems other people have gotten this message but just ignored it. But these were mostly people with other speakers that bought the 6240 receiver separately separately. Does anybody know why that phase warning would come up if the speakers are, in fact, in phase? The manual mentions this (saying it depends on the speakers) but I have the speakers that came with the receiver!! What I'm really trying to determine is whether it's necessary to return/exchange the speakers or if this will present more of a problem later.

The speakers sound great now. I put on the opening scene of the Dark Knight and the sound was really good. Once I enabled dolby TrueHD on the Blu-Ray I could hear a noticeable difference. One thing to note (though it wasn't really an issue for the Blu-ray, but was for watching TV through my cable box) is that you have to go into the settings to manually enable the HDMI-based lip synch. The delay wasn't really noticeable before (except that I was looking for it) but wit the lip synch on it went away completely.

The sound was good, having upgraded from a pretty crappy logitech system I obviously noticed a huge difference but I'm not sure I can say it's better or worse than the Onkyo 5200 that I was comping it against - for me the big differentiator was connectivity and the ability to decode HDMI lossless audio.

One note about connectivity that others have mentioned - the component and AV inputs are all tied to a specific audio input - i.e. there is one component for coaxial and one component with optical. If you have a Wii (like I do) you will need to plug the component video directly into the TV and then plug the audio into a spare audio input. Then you have to do some remote work but if you have a harmony it's not that difficult.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
You're OK re. phase if the speaker diaphragms are moving in the same direction at the same time. That's a result of wiring them properly which you say you have done. What the auto-calibration is probably reporting is that the speakers are acoustically out of phase. That's a result of room acoustics and speaker placement relative to one another as I understand it. No return/exchange is necessary. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.