AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Toshiba 62hm94 and i have all three major consoles.

I already have picked up component cables for the XBOX, and that definately made a difference.

Now i am looking into getting component cables for ps2 and gamecube.

Can the gamecube to 480P over just SVideo, if so then i'll pick up the Svideo cable, if not i'll have to special order the component cables.

Also the PS2 only has a handful of titles that support progressive scan, and i am asking your opinion if its worth getting the component cables for 20-30 bucks.

Also since my TV has only 2 comonent inputs and 1HDMI, i am going to need a component system switcher. My local gamestop has one that is pretty nice for 50 dollars, it has ethernet ports and component for upto 3 systems, which would be perfect for my needs, its some generic brand... but do you guys know of anything better available online?

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
yes, regardless of 480i or not the component cables look deliver a better picture than composite or s-video..

I split one of my inputs with simple RCA why adapters (about $3 each totalling $15), I don't see any picture degradation doing so.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
yes, regardless of 480i or not the component cables look deliver a better picture than composite or s-video..

I split one of my inputs with simple RCA why adapters (about $3 each totalling $15), I don't see any picture degradation doing so.

I dont see how you would split any connection to get component without getting the official cables that plug into the back of the console?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaarna
I dont see how you would split any connection to get component without getting the official cables that plug into the back of the console?
I think he meant a Y connector to turn one input on his TV into 2 inputs. That way he can plug in 2 systems via compnent (and obviously only run 1 at a time).

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank
I think he meant a Y connector to turn one input on his TV into 2 inputs. That way he can plug in 2 systems via compnent (and obviously only run 1 at a time).
yup, exactly.. Works great, I've done at both the Recieve with component inputs and also directly at the TV as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
yup, exactly.. Works great, I've done at both the Recieve with component inputs and also directly at the TV as well.
I wonder what would happen if both of the systems were on at the same time?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If they were both on at the same time, you would have a hybrid game, where Mario then could take on aliens in halo....it's pretty messed up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gamecube is worth it, Xbox is worth it, PS2 is NOT worth it

of all the systems gamecube has by far the sharpest 480p display, Xbox looks great and some games are 720p and 1080i even so thats a huge image upgrade! PS2 is an utter joke, only a few games support even progressive scan(Gran Turismo 4 is 1080i)

I believe its www.hdtvarcade.com has a user submitted lists of games for each system

Also, I have the Gamecube component cables up for sale on ebay, they are @ 26US with 1day left to bid, Seller WildJKard (I dunno if I am allowed to say that? if not please delete/ignore the last part)

·
Registered
447 Posts
i disagree. even if many PS2 games do not support 480P, the upgrade in quality is worth the $25 price tag. as brain said, component always gives a better picture than composite and s-video. i saw it on my CRT JVC and i see it on my DLP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also think it's worthwhile to upgrade the connections of older systems, even though it will take a bit more effort. Most systems output RGB natively or can be modded to output RGB. Of course, the problem is that most TVs will not take RGB directly, so you need an RGB to component transcoder...which isn't the most readily available piece of electronics. I ended up importing one from the UK...

Anyways, I know these systems output RGB stock: SMS, Genesis, Saturn, DC, SNES (original model)...possibly others.

N64 requires a "simple" mod. (I haven't attempted it yet.)

NES requires a pretty involved mod. I'm in the process of doing this one...not sure what to expect here. I've read conflicting reports of how this turns out.

At any rate, I'm still working on getting audio out of the SCART cables, but I've tested video on a few systems. Sonic 2 on the Genesis looks amazing in component. SO much better than composite!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bostich

thats pretty insane to freaking try to put hte SNES and NES to component. i'm not going to go that far..

I have an emulator running off the xbox to handle NES and SNES games and thats in component and doesnt look bad, for how old the games are.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have done a little bit of research after i started this thread and with your help, i have taken the time to order component cables for the gamecube directly from nintendo for 30 bucks +s/h.

Now i need to find PS2 component cables and a component switcher

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I read a user review on Circuit city that said that PS2 component cables cannot go through a receiver. I can't see a reason wy they couldn't. Does anyone know if this is accurate or not?

I'm at work now, but will try after work. I can post my results if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djearl81
Hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I read a user review on Circuit city that said that PS2 component cables cannot go through a receiver. I can't see a reason wy they couldn't. Does anyone know if this is accurate or not?

I'm at work now, but will try after work. I can post my results if anyone is interested.
No, that is definitely not accurate. I switch component sources on my Denon, including the PS2 and it works just fine.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
I've had my PS2 component go through a receiver as well (Yamaha HTR-5590), that was component and not really even rated to do HD bandwidths, but 1080i still worked for the PS2 (The PS2 sends out a 1080i signal with GT4)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently found the PELICAN PL-957 Pro System Selector at Fry's. There's a great picture of the rear connectors @ NewEgg (can't post a link yet apparantly).

7 connections with S-Video or Component video and Coax or RCA audio.

3 of the connections have network and Toslink audio connectors as well.

There is a version that comes with a remote now from what I've been told on another forum, but you have to look for a sticker on the box that says so.

Definitely picking this up when I pick up one of the new Sony LCDs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.