AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Gigabyte motherboard for P4 , and it only has 4X AGP bus speed .. I need to know if ATI9000pro Retail built by ATI is set to 4X agp , and if no how can I set it to 4x .. I don't want to burn my AGP slot, since 4x is at 1.5v and 2x is at 3.3v..

I noticed 2 small switches on top left corner of Ati card.. Both switches 1&2 are set at 2 .. Deos this mean AGP bus is at 4x ???

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can set this with Powerstrip for most video cards under the Options/Adapter Information... menu. Honestly, it will probably default to the highest transfer rate possible as I've never seen a new card that didn't. If you haven't used Powerstrip before, you should do several searches on this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

Kevin.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Usually you set 4X in the bios. For htpc use this is absolutely irrelevant. Even if you play games, 4x is a minor improvement over 2x, and you should have bought another card if you wanted to game :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse S
Usually you set 4X in the bios. For htpc use this is absolutely irrelevant. Even if you play games, 4x is a minor improvement over 2x, and you should have bought another card if you wanted to game :)
I know you can set it in bios .. The thing that confused me, was the Warning in Motherboard manual, about burning your AGP slot if you put Video Card with 2x AGP speed.. But since power comes from motherboard, how can this happen ?? I mean if the board only has 4x agp, it will only send 1.5v to Video Card. If the card was only 2x, it would not get enough power, thus would not work properly .

This card is only for Video playback ... My gaming rig will be built next year with NV30 inside it ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.