AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the AVT-3700 scaler. I am disappointed that when I feed this unit a 4:3 signal from my DTC-100 that the image displayed on my RCA D52W20 16:9 RPTV is stretched out to fill the screen, and cannot be adjusted. I am not sure if this is a function of the TV or of the AVT-3700. I tend to think it is the AVT-3700, becuz my DTC-100 when plugged directly into the TV (through the RCA VGA to component box) has gray bars on the left and right of a 4:3 broadcast. I also tried using the RGB output, and fed it into my Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component converter box, and could only get 640 x 480 resolution, the other resolutions would not display. I am curious what others with this scaler are experiencing, and what setups they are using

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
AVT-3700 does not have HDTV pass-through. It's designed to upconvert 480i component/Svideo/composite. It may be an incompatibility between AVT-3700 and DTC-100. DTC-100 is an HDTV/sat box with only VGA output (requires that RCA VGA->component transcoder you mentioned) that's very finicky. I suspect DTC-100 is not outputting 480i. Normally you have to adjust at the TV level to display 4:3 image in center of the 16:9 TV screen. Your TV is limited to 640X480 even with the AA transcoder. Hook the AVT to a PC monitor and you'll see much more resolution available in RGB mode. Your TV may not support 720p input at all and may only support 480p or 1080i inputs.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huey, Thanks for the reply. I am definitely feeding the AVT-3700 480i, because I am using the S-Video out of the DTC-100. My television will not allow me to adjust aspect ratios when it receives a 480p or 1080i signal. My TV does not support 720p. I am curious where the gray bars that the DTC-100 sends out for the left and right of my picture have gone. Has the AVT-3700 stripped them off? Very odd. At this point it looks like the unit will go back in the box, and possibly find its way onto ebay, unless something dramatic happens.

Thanks again,

Steve

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If your TV does not let you control aspect ratio at 1080i (and probably locks in full mode and stretch it to 16:9--normally AVT puts out 1080i in 4:3 format and then the PJ/TV has to control the aspect ratio) then you're screwed because AVT does not allow this either. AVT allows aspect ratio change only in VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, and 480p. It does not allow this on 720p either. Sounds like AVT may not be the best fit for your TV. AVT was probably designed for digital PJ with fixed resolutions (SVGA, XGA, SXGA, 480p, 720p, and 1080i).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huey,

After much thinking about the situtation, I have come to the same conclusion as you. My television will not allow me to adjust the aspect ratio when in any type of progressive mode, which I think is pretty lame, but oh well. Looks like this will be on ebay in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The VLS-2000 people emailed me that their unit does put a 4:3 image on a 16 X 9 screen with black bars on the sides; I'm not sure what modes they were writing about, since I'm new to this.

Does the VLS do this and the AVT does not?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
VLS-2000 is a better and more flexible scaler. It uses Genesis chipset which is better. The new ADS video scaler does also with a little more flexibility (it accepts 480p as well as 480i). VLS-2000 is more expensive than AVT-3700. Ebay price of VLS-2000 can be as low as $500-600 but directly on their website is $1000 list price. AVT is only $400 shipped.

Spelosi, don't ebay AVT, just return it. AVtoolbox has 30d MBG, no questions ask (minus shipping of course which is $5 for me in Indiana). Your RPTV 1080i is automatically stretched 16:9 as most HDTV programming is widescreen. Some HDTV is in 4:3 (local news, OTA HDTV, not true HDTV but digital OTA) which will be stretched when received through DTC-100 and inputted as 1080i into your RCA RPTV.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Huey,

Can you say more about the ADS. Also what is the advantage of 480P input?

Thanks.

Jim

"new ADS video scaler does also with a little more flexibility (it accepts 480p as well as 480i)"

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
There is a large thread on the ADS scaler (due out 6/03). 480p input does 2 things 1) allows the use of DCDi (Faroudja-based) progressive scan DVD player which may give a superior image to 480i input (DCDi is better at deinterlacing than Genesis) which is then scaled to native resolution of digital PJ (bypassing internal and usually inferior video processing), 2) lessen lip-sync lag introduced by lesser quality scalers (since signal is already progressive, scaler has to do less and lessen video delay). The VLS-2000 is similar minus the 480p input. ADS has more flexibility in menu.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huey,

Thanks again. Only problem is that I did not order it from AVTool box, and to send it back (to where I ordered it from) the place wants a 15% re-stocking fee. I would rather see someone else get it for 15% less, than give them the 15%, so I think I will ebay it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.