AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went over to the tv section and was amazed. They actually had the PBS demo running on a 38" RCA and it looked great. I did a little selling to a few people and explained HD. Then some sales guy came up and turned the tv back to directv 100 preview. I said why are you turning off the HD? He said this is HDTV! I said no it is not HD and you should leave on the demo. I said how can you say the Auburn Football demo is the same quality as this? I really did not feel like arguing with some 20 year old kid so I left. No wonder were not taking off like we should.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by del:
I went over to the tv section and was amazed. They actually had the PBS demo running on a 38" RCA and it looked great. I did a little selling to a few people and explained HD. Then some sales guy came up and turned the tv back to directv 100 preview. I said why are you turning off the HD? He said this is HDTV! I said no it is not HD and you should leave on the demo. I said how can you say the Auburn Football demo is the same quality as this? I really did not feel like arguing with some 20 year old kid so I left. No wonder were not taking off like we should.

Hmmmmm. . . I wonder if we as early adopters have a civic duty to go above and beyond the call of duty as far as trying to get these models displayed properly. Maybe it would have been best to ask to speak to his manager and explain the full details to them to help educate them on how it should be displayed. If they don't sell HDTV's then its us who will trully get screwed over in the end when it doesn't take off since we already have adopted the format and spent several thousand dollars to get the best performance out of it. Just a thought.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
You mean the 25 year-old manager who attended the same meetings about HD as the sales guys and has 20 other major issues to deal with besides us educating him/her about true HD? They will smile and nod their heads but I doubt that anything good will come from our lectures.

It must come from much higher up, IMHO, before the sales staff really knows what's happening and can communicate this to consumers. Because HD ready displays are much higher margin sales than a 27" TeeVee this should happen. I always ask who runs the entire operation - then I give that person both barrels.

Curtis

·
Registered
570 Posts
Most Circuit City stores I go into have side by side comparisons of HDTV to SDTV. They are doing a good job of pushing HDTV.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The collective intelligence level is dropping so rapidly that it's becoming increasingly difficult for salespeople to insult the intelligence of the American public. Without a way to set a floor for the lowest common denominator, even the stupidest sales presentation is not stupid enough for the average consumer to enjoy. How can HD penetrate American consciousness through the fog of a disinformation campaign ?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Maybe we should focus on the real problem which is the steep learning curve for this technology! As long as HD isn't totally "plug and play" there will be problems with not only its proper display in showrooms, but with consumer acceptance in general. Joe Six Pack doesn't want to have to fool around with RGB-breakout cables, component connections, Dolby 5.1 level adjustments, or setting proper black level, all he wants is to turn on the set and have the football game look great. Until HD sets become as intuitive to set up and operate as current NTSC, there will be little mass acceptance of the technology. They'll get there, but it'll take several more years, IMHO.

John in VA

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

John,

I strongly agree with your point. Television is a passive creature and HD at this time is anything but passive. One must struggle a little bit to get the thing to work. Most people don't want spend the kind of energy they do trying to grow a lawn. They want to plug and play. The producers of these toys would do everyone a favor by establishing standards and simplifying HD. Everyone knows that Best Buy has kids who know nothing about HD. The manufacturors need to produce a foolproof product as they did with color televisions, etc. Art

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The Circuit city store is next to Home Depot. So after I left the home depot with the sad realization that my OTA antenna installation would be further delayed, I decided to waste some time in CC. My primary goal was to look at a progressive scan DVD, secondary to buy a few DVDs.

I found 4-5 DVDs I wanted, then a salesman found me. So I asked about progressive DVD player. They had *one* model, an entry level Panasonic.

OK its cheap, I thought, let's look at it. So I asked "Can we hook it up to a TV so I can look at it". Well, I wish I had a camera. His face went blank in puzzlement. So he walked me over to a HD set with a demo loop on it. "It will look like this" he said. I looked up, and saw a HD Discovery logo. "Can you get Discovery in HD?" I asked thinking maybe DirectTV had it, and I didn't know. Another blank stare. He then slowly point to an RCA receiver. "It comes from that, you can't get HD in this area".

I had it. I wanted to explain that both HBO and Showtime both offer HD. That our local PBS station broadcasts some of the best HD available, that NBC was already digital, and that in some parts of the county a good antenna could pick up the digital stations in Baltimore.

Instead, I politely excused myself, and went home to watch a movie.

Best Regards,

SM

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Good news from my local Best Buy. A month ago I visited the Porter Ranch (San Fernando Valley, CA) Best Buy and reported on this forum that there were no HDTV STB on the television section and the salesman had no clue that they were required. On Sunday I returned and there were two DTC-100s on display in the television section. Also I overheard a person asking about adding OTA and satellite HDTV to his widescreen Toshiba that he uses for DVDs and he was pointed to the DTC-100. (Of course I chimed in and told him what a great idea that would be.)

Also I noted that Best Buy lowered the price of their Toshibas to $2999 for the 56H80 and $3499 for the 65H80 (I paid $5100 for the 65H80 predecessor 9 months ago).

Rick

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Lloyd:
I strongly agree with your point. Television is a passive creature and HD at this time is anything but passive. One must struggle a little bit to get the thing to work. Most people don't want spend the kind of energy they do trying to grow a lawn. They want to plug and play. The producers of these toys would do everyone a favor by establishing standards and simplifying HD. Everyone knows that Best Buy has kids who know nothing about HD. The manufacturors need to produce a foolproof product as they did with color televisions, etc.
I agree too . . . and I think the only way that this will happen is that the FCC will need to mandate HDTV demodulators in every large TV. I think the current proposal is HDTV demods in ever TV 27" and above. I'd rather drop it to HDTV demods in every TV that is 24" or greater. That and "must-carry" of DTV signals would be the best things to move DTV forward.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:
Sunday I returned and there were two DTC-100s on display in the television section.
That has been a problem with Best Buy, IMHO . . . the Television and satellite TV receiver sections are in different sections of the store. I don't think most customers can make a mental link between an HDTV receiver and a DTC-100. (I don't think most Best Buy salesdroids can make such a link either.)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gnosys:
Maybe we should focus on the real problem which is the steep learning curve for this technology! As long as HD isn't totally "plug and play" there will be problems with not only its proper display in showrooms, but with consumer acceptance in general. Joe Six Pack doesn't want to have to fool around with RGB-breakout cables, component connections, Dolby 5.1 level adjustments, or setting proper black level, all he wants is to turn on the set and have the football game look great. Until HD sets become as intuitive to set up and operate as current NTSC, there will be little mass acceptance of the technology. They'll get there, but it'll take several more years, IMHO.

John in VA
I don't know. I might have to disagree with you. Joe sixpack sounds like a guy to me. Most guys are willing to do stupid and crazy stuff like this to make there football game look better. Most women on the other hand (sorry to stereotype, but we are making generalizations here) wouldn't want to. I know tons of guys that would be willing to do this. They just don't have, or don't want to spend the money. A lot of Joe sixpacks know a lot about doing things to cars, which in my oppinion is a lot more complicated then setting up an HDTV. Personally I wouldn't want to ever go on the inside of my car. Thats what mechanics are for.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to see all tv's have the capabilty to retrieve the OTA signals and not have built in directv. This will allow Joe six pack to get all the local stuff. This will also force cable to switch to HD because Joe will want more HD HBO Showtime etc. I also think five years or so from now Direct and dish will not need all the local channels for each city because

everyone will get their signal for free via the OTA creating the much needed bandwith for all the HD channels. Just a thought

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.