AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i ordered a power conditioner but its not here yet.. So im going to just go to walmart and buy a cheap surge protector for now.. the most descent one i saw was this one..

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=80646

and another on that i cant find at the moment, but is this "wide band"? If its not the direct guy said i will lose my HD through the coax... This make sense ? lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you send the Direct TV coax through a surge protector, it had better be specifically designed for that use. The direct receiver sends a voltage through the coax to the antenna, and I would imagine a surge protector not designed for it could either be damaged, or mess up the signal.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Any reputable but generic coax cable suppressor should work. Wide band just refers to its capacity to pass the entire range of video signals, from NTSC up to HD, its made just like a cheap splitter except than the ground line are connected to a surge device. A problem with coax connectors is they tend to reduced the signal strength too much if made poorly.

A key problem in no-name makes is how much trust you can have of the quality of the specs they write off, on the box. The link below looks decent, but at this point I can only recommend products made by APC. I think you can get one with a coax, RJ11, and power surge suppressor for under $20.

Panamax and Tripp Lite also make good products, but I have not had a chance to dissect a Panamax device so far. Tripp Lite was a good brand, but I have had recent bad experiences with one of their products.

The risk of a surge is quite rare, so you never know if what you buy truly works until you need it, and by then years have passed and its too late to protect your gear or exchange the suppressor. So, its best to get a reputable one from the get-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/15476851

Well i ordered a power conditioner but its not here yet.. So im going to just go to walmart and buy a cheap surge protector for now.. the most descent one i saw was this one..

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=80646

and another on that i cant find at the moment, but is this "wide band"? If its not the direct guy said i will lose my HD through the coax... This make sense ? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox /forum/post/15479832

If you send the Direct TV coax through a surge protector, it had better be specifically designed for that use. The direct receiver sends a voltage through the coax to the antenna, and I would imagine a surge protector not designed for it could either be damaged, or mess up the signal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts