AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Dwin Transvision yesterday. I have it showing on a 96 by 54 inch Grayhawk. First, a general comment. The picture is very film-like, as others have reported. Pixels are essentially non-existent. I have not noticed any rainbow effect yet, although hopefully I'm one of those who can't see it (and I don't want to learn how either.) I have not really tweaked anything yet, but it really is a very nice unit. Setup is easy and the Dwin external processor seems to be a pretty good job on the material I was watching.

One thing I can't figure out though. The screen is attached to a wall that is painted almost white. As a result, when the room is totally dark, you get what appears to be light overspill in the shape of a 4x3 panel. I assume that this related to the fact that the Dwin is a native 4x3 projector and is not using the full panel in the 16x9 mode, and so you get some overspill at the top and the bottom. (Actually, you can determine whether the overspill is on the top and/or the bottom, as the Dwin allows you to move up or down the 16x9 image, but not the 4x3 image.) The thing I can't figure out though is that the light overspill is on the bottom and the top, but also extends about 3" past the right side of the screen, but not on the left. Yet the 16x9 image is fully contained within the screen. And when I switch to 4x3in the projector menu (as if I was using a 4x3 screen), the 4x3 image also is fully contained within the left and right boundaries of the screen (but not the top and bottom of course). In other words, the 4x3 shape that overspills the screen is not the same size as the 4x3 shape you get if you switch to that size in the screen setup menu. It's almost as if in the 4x3 mode, the projector also does not use the full panel, but just part of it, resulting in some light overspill on one side. Does this make any sense? Can anyone else who has a Dwin check and see if they notice the same thing?

By the way, I notice a lot of people have their screens mounted in front of black drapes. Would drapes like that absorb the extra light overspill? Is that why people do this, or does it have some other purpose besides aesthetics?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I can't comment on the specifics of the Transvision, but yes..the drapes are to absorb stray light. Does your screen not have masking strips on the side? (I.e. a black frame of some sort?)

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it has a three and a half inch Velux border all around that absorbs stray light, but the stray light even extends beyond this border on the right. And it extends above and beyond the top and bottom border of course, which seems to make sense given that the Dwin's full panel 4x3 would be a lot bigger than the 16x9 screen.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well, yes, since you are using a 16x9 screen with a 4x3 projector...you are gonna have to put drapes all around....unfortunately...that it spills only one one side though is strange, to say the least.

Hey, if you had my LCD , it wouldn't be light "spill" it would be bright light for those black bars on top and bottom of your screen!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by David Mendicino (edited 05-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by David Mendicino (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried using the horizontal and vertical adjustments, but that did not seem to do it. Although, I never did finish the attempt because I started seeing rainbows before I got back to adjusting the picture size and compared to the rainbow problem, the picture sizing issue is a gnat on a elephants hindquarters.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
This could be related to what Larry mentioned in this thread a few days ago...

EG that DLP single panels are all 848x600 and that 48 pixels are unused !!!

As I asked in that thread if this is a SW issue I am sure some of the HT DLP units would enable this through the projectors firmware as 848 allows for 848x480 16x9 and as such no downcoversion for DVD material against the 800x450 which must lose 30 lines of vertical resoultion...

I can see them in my Davis clone but they are both sides of the image perhaps Dwin choose to align the image on one side of the DMD ??

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard that Dwin has very good service and is very responsive, which is one reason I bought a Dwin instead of a Seleco. (I didn't hear anything negative about Seleco, it's just that I heard good things about Dwin, plus they are local to me in California.) BTW, what other problems are you experiencing?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Have you considered an anamorphic lens? I have a DILA, but don't use the lens because of my specific installation and because I have a black drop on the top of my screen that absorbs most of the light from the 4:3 panel.

An anamorphic lens in your installation would capture the entire 4:3 chip panel and "squeeze" it into a 16:9 image. It would also reduce the effect you're describing (but would not eliminate it) and would enhance brightness. There are numerous threads on this topic in this forum.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I am on the list for the infamous Panamorph, and I figured this would take care of the vertical overscan, but probably not the horizontal. In any event, I am likely going to be returning the Dwin anyway, because of the rainbow artifact, which I seem to be particularly sensitive to.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You may be interested to know that we have developed and are preparing to market our Photon Vacuum (PV). It consists of the processor and slim, flat black vacuum pipes (the size of a pencil) that really do vacuum up photons. Each pipe is customizable by merely cutting to length with an exacto knife. The range of collection is set digitally on the processor front panel. [All pipes must conform to the same vacuum specs.] A rectangular screen would require four pipes. Yes, I know that seems obvious, but the questions we get. For an added charge we can factory fit the collector with a fiber optics return (FOR) which basically returns the "unwanted" photons to the projector and injects them into the projected beam of the light source. Since these are collimated photons, they actually increase brightness while also increasing contrast. Pricing has not been set. The unit requires a 120v power source. The FOR must be located within one metric mile of the screen (vacuum). This is the most generous spec of its kind in the industry. If this did not make you smile, then blame it on me. I am going to dinner. Hope you thoroughly enjoy the DWIN. D-ILAs do the exact same thing and they use black drapes too. ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have seen this projector at CES and a local dealer and one of the things that impressed me was that there was NO light spillover when showing in the 16:9 ratio.

What could cause this different result?

Bob

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Barry

Do not laugh this is how they do it with 35mm film projectors in theaters. The only difference is that the gate (lens cap) is a metal slide in plate. They just file it out at the right aspect ratio till just before it lets the light spill fall off the screens viewing area.

Seems primative but it works well.

DavidW

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jared, thanks for the suggestion on the light spill. I was hoping to hear from Dwin this week re my rainbow problem, as my dealer placed a call to them to clarify whether there was any possibility that the effect was exacerbated on my particular unit. I have not heard from Dwin yet, but stay tuned. I do agree that if you take away the rainbow problem, the projector is awesome.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Smitty

Just for your interest I was talking to an owner of a Transvision at my dealers on Friday and he told me he was running his HTPC into it at 72Hz/120Hz in 1024x768 resolution. He is one of these fast eyes owners who see's the rainbow effect.

He told me he had seen this effect on the Dwin but by using 72Hz/120Hz he slowed up the effect on contrast scenes such as your chapter 21 issue.

I have not run a HTPC into my Dwin yet but then again I do not see the rainbow effect so probably not much point

He prefered 120Hz overall. (I did not think it would do 120Hz?)

I was also told that the blue push he had out of the box was causing far too many hot glassy whites which caused some of his rainbow effect. Unfortunately you can not adjust the RGB/Gamma/Chroma delay/Color temp on the Dwin which is a bad thing.

DavidW

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Smitty

Just for interest I found out today that Dwin are looking at adding the new double RGB color wheel to the Transvision and I am told that the plan was to have this shipping before there Cedia show in September.

I am not sensitive to the rainbow efect on Dlp so it is of little interest to me but I am told that the new color wheel helps those who are sensitive to this effect.

Seleco has an 800x600 with the six segment wheel so it may pay to take a look at chapter 21 again.

DavidW

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Smitty

The other interesting reported but unconfirmed news was that Dwin are definitely making the Panamorph their optional anamorphic lens. They also are designing an all in one ceiling bracket to suit.

DavidW

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understand but have not confirmed that there is a service menu on the DWIN that you can adjust the gamma/ color temp etc. I do not have the code to access it. I also understand that DWIN will be sending out instructions on building a template to cutout the lenscap to eliminate light overspill and they will send out a second lenscap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.