AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hitachis ultravision, along with my xbox (dont care about the xbox) just got hit by lightning, No surge protector, Is there any way to fix it... how can i figure out what is wrong with it... I must resurect it, it was about 7 years old, but still going strong with great picture when it got it, i must fix it if there is any way.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
You can get an estimate from a Hitachi service center. Most likely the internal power supply is fried. It's probably not worth fixing, but see what they say. Do you have homeowners insurance?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Pioneer 40" and a VCR player a long time ago...My homeowners ins picked up the tab for a new set and player...except for my $500 deductable...Call your homeowners ins first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What aspect of the supply is fried, is there a certain component on the power supply board that is usually the culprit, ill fix it myself, if i can get a good diagnosis. I have homeowners insurance, but for the ammount my deductable is, i could probably buy a new tv. Im sure that the so called hitachi service center, is going to be as much as my insurance deductable, Id rather not even deal with them.... Does anyone have a diagnosis or repair manual for it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is the set totally dead? If you are very, very lucky, the set only popped a circuit breaker or a fuse. IF you are very unlucky, you might replace the fuse and start a fire in the set. If the set starts to burn, it will make a very nasty smoke which might contain carcenogens.

I have repaired lightning damaged equipment and it runs the gamut from a simple fuse to total destruction. A lot depends on if the equipment has built in MOV protection. I am not expert in TV electronics but I suspect there is little to no protection built into the set. In any case, even if the set is fixed, there is a high potential for another failure down the road since the electronics have possibly been "weakened" by the original lightning stirke.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm with Arabus on this. I suppose though if it were my set (being the tinkerer that I am) I would probably at least look at the power supply to see if there are any easy/obvious damaged components (like an inline fuse or something that's obviously fried) but if it ain't easy I'd junk the thing. Good excuse to get a new TV! :eek:

I unplug my most precious (PCs & data) & expensive (HDTV) gear in a storm, and have a plan/intent to get SurgeX or BrickWall protection when I can get-up the juice to spend ~$500 on such gizmos. My homeowner's insurance has a $2,500 deductible. :eek:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not to be a jackass, but what were you expecting hooking up your electronics directly to a wall outlet. You need to have at least some REAL surge protection! Get a Belkin or Monster or Panamax or something. They're only $30-$50 and your stuff won't get fried.

That's rule number one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan
I unplug my most precious (PCs & data) & expensive (HDTV) gear in a storm, and have a plan/intent to get SurgeX or BrickWall protection when I can get-up the juice to spend ~$500 on such gizmos. My homeowner's insurance has a $2,500 deductible. :eek:
Unplugging is clearly the best solution, but you have to be there to unplug it. :)

A surge suppressor will at least provide some protection when you're gone.

I don't believe ANY suppressor will completely protect the equipment if you happen to be unlucky enough to take a direct hit on your power line but at least it will absorb some of the energy. I guess that's when you find out if the insurance the suppressor manufacturer offer will actually pay up. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Panamax A/V surge protectors claims to cut off power as soon as it detects that something is coming, I guess sort of like how the ocean pulls back in before a tidal wave. They wouldn't offer a $50,000 warranty unless they believed in that....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked all the inline fuses, they are intact.... What is the next step, Ive got the tv out in my lab, If it catches fire, It will be no worse than it currently is, being that the tv is dead.

When i press the power button on the remote, or on the front of the set, nothing happens. All fuses seem to be intact.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh, Thanks Ngamer007 for being totally not helpful.... Does anyone on here fix these things, or have a repair manual, so i can fix it myself. Even if other electronics are weakened, it makes no difference, id like to get as much life out of this set as possible, since it was free, and i cant afford to buy a new one, but i can afford cheap electronic components, and i can solder.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Service manuals don't have much television "theory", they go on the assumption that you already know alot about the set, so it is schematics, parts lists, and service set-ups for complete memory wipes. You are better off chalking it up as a loss, you might spend lots of money on parts to find out that more than you thought is broken, money-pit.

Mike

p.s. not trying to be a jerk, just being realistic. or call a service center. most charge a flat "parts-dependent" fee of about $300.00. In home might be a bit more.

p.s.s.s. there are many more fuses than you think, they are "pico-fuses" they look like little resistors, mostly on the deflection board. if you don't know what a deflection board is... then I would call a proffesional becuase playing with t.v. guts can make you D.I.E.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651
Call your homeowners ins first.
In today's cutthroat insurance market, I think I would chew off my right arm before making a homeowners insurance claim for anything under $10,000. You will pay for it in higher premiums the rest of your life. Most importantly, you run the risk of being dropped by your current policy holder and be deemed uninsurable by other carriers. The insurance world has changed, not in our favor.

I would chalk it up to learning an expensive lesson about protecting your equipment and move on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I am well aware of the dangers posed by flyback transformers and capacitors and other HV things in television sets, I mess around with coils and capictor bank toys, like quarter shrinkers, and things of that nature, far more dangerous than a television. I saw on the schematic on the inside of the set that there were some fuses labled on the drawing, that i couldnt find on the board, Perhaps they are the pico fuses you were refering to... The model number is : 46ux17k ... It is a hitachi Ultravision. I dont get the feeling that the lightning strike was too bad, some other devices on the same circuit were undamaged, and they were far more sensative devices i would think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do know what the deflection board is, Ill check that out, I may have to dig the ol scope out of the closet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninvited Guest
In today's cutthroat insurance market, I think I would chew off my right arm before making a homeowners insurance claim for anything under $10,000. You will pay for it in higher premiums the rest of your life. Most importantly, you run the risk of being dropped by your current policy holder and be deemed uninsurable by other carriers. The insurance world has changed, not in our favor.

I would chalk it up to learning an expensive lesson about protecting your equipment and move on.
I agree, homeowners can be real nasty with claims if you aren't careful...

I hope you get your TV fixed enlight.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Good luck, don't hurt yourself

this question is slightly off topic, but between Monster, PureAV, and Audioquest (I think) how good are these Surge Suppressors? (Not counting price) How well do these protect from lightning? From what I heard is that Monsters are good, however their weakness is in that they cannot take multiple surges. (from a Magnolia guy)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnakster
Good luck, don't hurt yourself

this question is slightly off topic, but between Monster, PureAV, and Audioquest (I think) how good are these Surge Suppressors? (Not counting price) How well do these protect from lightning? From what I heard is that Monsters are good, however their weakness is in that they cannot take multiple surges. (from a Magnolia guy)
PureAV PF60 is a very good one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldnt even so much care if they did protect from lightning, provided they were good about paying on their guarantee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.