AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been eyeing these for a while at work while we were gutting the building to switch over to HD. Both of these sets were used in production for monitoring the audio of our newscasts. upon researching it seemed like these speakers a lot of people absolutely love the sound quality of and I didnt see very much negativity toward them. I figured it would be a good start toward a better quality sound system.

Sadly though both sets need the foam surrounds replaced (I am workign on ordering the kits now). I tend to like DIY projects and fixing / building / making things so this seemed like it was right up my alley
I found a couple sites that pointed to a seller on ebay so I may get the kits there (I think about $35 shipped for the 4410 kit). I also need to cleanup the cabinet of the 4410s as they are a mess!!!!

I'm by no means an audiophile, nor do I claim to be one... but I do enjoy nice clean full sound... I'm also a single dad who is broke most of the time so I can't be spending a lot on this setup! But I am looking for a decent amp to match up with these speakers.

I mostly tend to listen to music at night to relax or really when the mood hits. One minute I may be listenign to the Beatles, the next Papa roach, the next Jay-Z lol, sometimes I crank up music when cleaning or working out. chances are the audio source will be my main desktop PC which currently has a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium. I do play games occasionally on this system as well as watch movies, so the 4410s woofers should provide enough bass for both tasks as well. of course I say play games occasionally and yet have a high end gaming rig with eyefinity lmao (hey even if I only do it occasionally I want to do it right lmao)... but I digress, back on topic

For a while I was using cambridge soundworks FPS 1000 speakers and then ran across a Pioneer SA-3000 amp and TX-3000 tuner for $10 at a yard sale. I set it up with a set of JBL 2500 bookshelf speakers I had gathering dust. It sounded OK and it did go loud but the bass was really lacking and the highs were really shrill to my ears... almost to the point where it hurt to listen to stuff sometimes. I ended up finding another set of speakers at Goodwill which were more modern pioneer speakers, and those seemed to sound a little better in some areas, but still wasn't enough (which is why I started eyeballing those speakers awfully hard knowing they were on thier way out).

Anyway, in addition to the speakers, I also got a hold of two hafler 1500 amps and a hafler pro 2400 (I think it was a 2400) amp. I did a quick bench test with the hafler amps and they really didnt seem to push the speakers at all... it just didnt go very loud...... It could possibly be though the adapter I made (heaphone jack to two XLR) may be wired wrong... I think someone had told me to to make pin 2 hot and pin 1 ground with pin 1 and 3 connected together. I have a feeling that pins 1 and 3 should not be connected and may snip it to test and that may be my whole problem there.

I connected the speakers to the Pioneer SA-3000 which I beleive is only listed at 40W per channel and in the terms of volume levels it was loads louder but I didnt want to push the speakers too much for now since the foma surrounds need replaced. This was using a headphone jack to two RCA adapter.

So, at this point I am looking for suggestions on possible older amps to keep an eye out for that might be picked up cheap, or possibly a new amp that I could save my limited funds for. Also let me know any advice on replacing the foam surrounds, and if my guess on the XLR cable is correct.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
For a good thread on the topic of surrounds, go here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d-Step-by-step

While at the Lansing Heritage site do a search for 4410 and 4408 to find lots of info about your "new" babies. YOu can also find threads about JBL cabinet care there.

These will be great speakers when all set up. Avoid playing them until the surrounds are fixed or you could end up having to recone instead of refoam--a much more expensive operation.

·
Registered
22,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari /forum/post/20868469

been eyeing these for a while at work while we were gutting the building to switch over to HD. Both of these sets were used in production for monitoring the audio of our newscasts. upon researching it seemed like these speakers a lot of people absolutely love the sound quality of and I didnt see very much negativity toward them. I figured it would be a good start toward a better quality sound system.

Sadly though both sets need the foam surrounds replaced (I am workign on ordering the kits now).

The Lansing Heritage forums are the best source of info on the drivers.

There are a few variants on both of those models, so you'll want to get the driver part numbers off the back of the driver. Surround kits are easy to find, I recommend http://www.speakerrepair.com/ for reliable service and kits. They will sell you a kit or do the re-foam for you.

For amps, get the most clean power you can afford, cause these speakers can handle it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.