AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gorgeous!!! Couldn't be happier with the quality. No problems at all with the shipping, no dents, no scratches.

I'll post a more detailed review once I get a few more movies under the belt. One thing I noticed is that the High Power really helps with any kind of light coming into the room.

One thing I need some help with. For some reason my calculations didn't work and the picture does not fill the whole screen. I fill it height wise but not length wise. I have about 1 1/2" on the left and right side that doesn't fill the screen. Can I paint this area black? It would have to be something that can stand up to being rolled up. It really bothers me when I see that white area not being filled. :(

· Registered
87 Posts
hey, blkwrxwgn......

Is this a Draper or Da-lite? Which fabric?

What PJ are you running?

And how far from you screen are you sitting?

Sorry for all the questions!

Just trying to get the big picture (sorry for the pun!)

Considering a Da-lite High Power for my new HT room.

Have a Draper Targa (92" diag.) Matte White.

Looking to go 106".

Terry M.

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might want to read the title of the thread again. ;)

· Registered
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blkwrxwgn
One thing I need some help with. For some reason my calculations didn't work and the picture does not fill the whole screen. I fill it height wise but not length wise. I have about 1 1/2" on the left and right side that doesn't fill the screen. Can I paint this area black? It would have to be something that can stand up to being rolled up. It really bothers me when I see that white area not being filled. :(
This is curious. I'm assuming this is a 119" 16:9 screen? Da-lite lists the dimensions of this screen as 104" X 58." This computes to a 1:79 ratio which should not produce 1 1/2 " gaps on each side for a 1.78" image.

If you screwed up your calculations on your throw you would not be able to fill the height. Since you can fill the height the width should fill in accordingly. Have somebody help you measure the exact width and height of the white viewing area. Divide the width by the height to find your ratio. It should be within .01 of 1.78. If not, then Da-lite messed up their calculations, not you.

There was just another thread somebody posted here about their screen's measurement being off. The measurements on one of Darinp's screens was screwed up as well. I'm considering ordering a high power and would not be happy with anything but the correct 1.78 ratio. Hope this really isn't that common. Looks like AVS is good at taking care of these sorts of problems though if you got it through them.

Please check and let us know.

Thanks,

Brent

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahahaha

teh OT men hath found me???

well grap on my tired. :)

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BJM,

No it was me and Evan Powell at Projector Central actually. His throw distance calculator for the panny is WAY off and I mounted my projector a little closer just to make sure there was enough room out the back for the fan. Ooops.

Just measured it and the screen is right on size wise.

· Registered
414 Posts
I would recommend moving the projector rather than trying to paint the screen. The paint will probably flake off or mark the screen somewhere you don't want.

I love my High Power too!

· Registered
513 Posts
Quote:
BJM,

No it was me and Evan Powell at Projector Central actually. His throw distance calculator for the panny is WAY off and I mounted my projector a little closer just to make sure there was enough room out the back for the fan. Ooops.

Just measured it and the screen is right on size wise.
That's why I posted this a while back: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...22#post2031722

I'm still confused though. If you can fill a 16:9 screen vertically from top border to bottom border with a 16:9 image from a 16:9 projector then it's not your throw that's wrong. What am I missing? You sure it was a 1:78 image that wasn't fitting the screen? Maybe one of Disney's wacky 1:66 ratio's?

Any body else have any ideas?

Brent

· Registered
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BJM
The measurements on one of Darinp's screens was screwed up as well. I'm considering ordering a high power and would not be happy with anything but the correct 1.78 ratio. Hope this really isn't that common. Looks like AVS is good at taking care of these sorts of problems though if you got it through them.
Brent,

I did have one that was way off, like 10" too tall. However, I think the ones that didn't have glaring errors like that have been right, although my memory could just be fading.

And yes, AVS is very good about taking care of these things.

--Darin

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll mess with it a little more tonight and see what is going on. The only thing I can think of is that the angle of the projector might be doing this. I don't think that's it because i'm not using any keystone correction and you can barely notice that the picture is off a bit. I really don't know...........

· Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
hahahaha

teh OT men hath found me???

well grap on my tired. :)
yes, you cannot hide your fame. everywhere you go, someone is watching you. sti in ice anyone?:D

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no idea guys. I'm really stumped. I watched another movie last night and it was AWESOME. I love the high power screen material. Really good stuff and can't really say much about it other then there is nothing to complain about...........except...............I can't figure out why it isn't filling the screen. Since i'm not using any keystone correction there is maybe a 1/2" difference between the size of the picture from the top to the bottom, you wouldn't even notice it if the picture actually filled the screen. So right now at the top corners there is maybe a 1" gap that isn't filling and at the bottom it's about 1/2".

Really strange.

· Registered
414 Posts
Try measuring the screen and the projected image. One of them must not be 16:9.

That might direct you to where the problem is. The only fix will probably be to overscan a bit onto the black matte of the screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.