AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for a while.. After reading all of your posts, I was intrigued.

One day, I was at a formal dinner, seated accross from a very successful businessman (commercial Real Estate Developer, 9 figure net worth). We were chatting and the issue of technology today came up. He mentioned that he had just purchased a couple of PVR's and that it was one of the best things he had ever done.

He really liked some shows but refused to waste time sitting through commercials and messing w/ a VCR. He then said, his time was too valuable and the $$ he spent on the PVR + subscription, was more than offset by the flexibility it afforded him.

So, 2 weeks ago, I purchased my 5040 from buy.com and absolutely love it(except for the no signal detected issues).

I am absolutely amazed that I didn't buy one of these sooner and lament all of the time I've spent watching commercials and adjusting my life (on occaision) to network programming. Sure, I could have used a VCR, but then I'd have to remember what is on and when and frankly, my VCR isn't working so well these days.

All I do now is search for my favorite shows/topics, set the unit and walk away. I watch what I want when I want and w/ no commercials.

Thanks!

michael

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
And, come back if you have problems. The *least* we can do for someone that would read *all* our posts! :D

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Please don't ask what the USB port is use for... ;-)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Oh, and don't ask if anybody knows SonicBlue went bankrupt. :D

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you're going to love your new toy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes you will love your new toy....and pretty soon you will be like Lays Potato chips..."you can't have just one" I never watched much TV never wanted to sit and watch shows when they were on, until I got one ,now I catch many shows and watch them at a later date. You will also enjoy DVA. Welcome

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking of ordering a second unit, before the rebate offer expires.. I figure for $150.. I can't go wrong.

michael

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's really $400 when you consider the $250 lifetime subscription.

I'm also debating the same thing. I watched friends with my wife last week and she was so amazed that it took out most of the commercials. I'm already into the habit of not watching live TV.

The problem with 1 unit is that there are usually two shows i want to record during prime time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frogster
It's really $400 when you consider the $250 lifetime subscription.

I'm also debating the same thing. I watched friends with my wife last week and she was so amazed that it took out most of the commercials. I'm already into the habit of not watching live TV.

The problem with 1 unit is that there are usually two shows i want to record during prime time.
Thats why I got a 2nd one ...so the wife could have her own...she was a hard core VHS user and now she loves her replaytv and set s up all her shows to watch later . go for it..you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scmguru
...So, 2 weeks ago, I purchased my 5040 from buy.com and absolutely love it(except for the no signal detected issues)....
Like others said, welcome aboard. Tell us exactly what no signal detected issue you are having and maybe we can help.

Sometimes when people refer to the no signal detected problem they are talking about the blue screen you get between channel changes if you try to channel surf the old fashioned way; I'm not sure why anyone ever channel surfs with a PVR anyway, but in any event that issue can be fixed by changing replay's 'fine tuning' settings for your channel box so that the screen remains black until the singal is tuned in.

Other times people are referring to the fact that the replay is more sensitive to having a good signal then other devices are and will give you the blue no signal detect screen unless the signal is pretty good. If that's your problem, that can usually be fixed by reducing the number of splits in your cable or getting a good quality rf amp for your cable. (But note that cheap rf amps may have no impact or even make the problem worse.)

·
Registered
554 Posts
It IS amazing, how I never watch live TV anymore. One of the selling points for me originally was the "pause live TV" feature. I never realized that the technology would change the way I watched TV altogether. I watch many more shows than I ever did before and NEVER have to sit down and schedule my life around a time schedule.

The main reason I have TWO machines is the streaming aspect of the technology. My second machine sits in the bedroom and takes care of the occasional conflicts that I come across. Since I just HATE sitting in a bedroom and watching TV on a 13" tube from across the room, I can now sit in the Den and watch EVERY thing on my 60" TV and in comfort. Just stream from the bedroom to the den and I am in Video heaven!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
And as diverjones said, you haven't lived until you have a home network with multiple Replays and running DVArchive. It's as much a quantum leap over a single RTV as was originally going from VCRs to Replay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.