AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Panasonic GT50 model. I watched Clash of the Titans and was not impressed at all. I'm guessing animated movies is what really does the trick? I want to see that pop out on my TV and just didn't see it in this movie.

Is there any settings you recommend? I saw this pop out setting that went from 0 to 4. Is this a setting based upon preference only? Like how much 3D can your eye's take before it's awkward? Any suggestions would be great on movies with excellent 3D and/or settings for 3D.

·
Registered
53 Posts
These seem to be some of the universal fav's around here:

Under the Sea

Resident Evil Afterlife

Legend of the Guardians

Tangled

Both Journey movies (Center of the Earth and Mysterious Island)

Despicable Me

Monsters vs Aliens

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Drive Angry

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Did some reading. Looks like there is a few good ones out there. I'll give that one a look too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco  /t/1415628/just-got-my-3d-tv-which-movies-should-i-check-out-to-get-the-full-effect#post_22131701

These seem to be some of the universal fav's around here:

Under the Sea

Resident Evil Afterlife

Legend of the Guardians

Tangled

Both Journey movies (Center of the Earth and Mysterious Island)

Despicable Me

Monsters vs Aliens

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Drive Angry

Thank you. It's amazing how many horrible movies I will watch just for 3D effects!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Try to avoid 2d -> 3d conversions like Clash.

For live action shot in native 3d both Journey movies have good 3d.

IMAX Deep Sea 3d and Under the Sea 3D are good.

The Polar Express 3D is good 3d.

I also recommend World War II in 3D for it's historical look at 3d.

td

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so when I see that icon pop up on my TV (2D --> 3D) that is telling me it's a conversion?

One other thing to ask. I have AT&T Uverse and was watching TV and saw a pop up that said "3D Detected, switch to 3D mode to watch". Not sure how that happened as AT&T doesn't have 3D Tv from what I read.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That sounds more like the 2d -> 3d conversion ability of your TV, which provides only a hint of depth to a standard 2d picture and isn't worth using IMO, you want full 3d from films that were filmed with 3D cameras, everything else is a conversion and much like the aforementioned function, is a bit lackluster.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up a few today. I watched Open Season in IMAX 3D and really liked it so picked that up today too. I recommend this one for 3D.

·
Registered
721 Posts
New to the 3D world as well. I borrowed a few discs yesterday from my library. Popped in two of them to check it our. IMAX Under the Sea is amazing. Many times my family and I were reaching out to touch the various creatures. (We had to share one pair of glasses, more are on the way.) Another one I tried was Cars 2. There was good depth, but not a lot of popping out from the bits I watched. Also have Cave of Forgotten Dreams, but haven't tried that one yet.

Watching on 96" screen with DLP Link projector (Vivitek Qumi) and HDFury 4.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I suggest watching Avatar if you can get your hands on the disc. It was filmed using 3D technology and it uses it perfectly. It's very realistic during some scenes, especially when they are in the forest.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yep, I would say of the movies I have seen Avatar and Tangled would be the two that had the best 3D. Not the most pop out mind you, for that others are better.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Captain America: The First Avenger is a solid post-conversion and a good title to get if you want to see a comic-book movie in 3D; it has a good sense of depth for most of its running time and a couple of nice pop-out effects.

Alice in Wonderland is another solid 2D>3D conversion that was shot with 3D in mind; a very imaginative movie chock full of interesting visuals.

As others have said, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Journey 2: Mysterious Island are two of the better live action titles available in terms of 3D. The stories are pretty goofy and the acting is, as expected, over the top but the visuals are top notch and both movies have plenty of pop-out effects.

Hubble 3D and Space Station 3D are two of the better live action Imax 3D titles and feature lots of great imagery from space; the 3D really suits these kinds of features well.

Giants of Patagonia is another Imax 3D title with some pretty intense dinosaur shots that will probably make you jump out of your seat once or twice.

The Universe: Seven Wonders of the Solar System is another fun 3D title that can be had for cheap and features lots of good CGI 3D imagery.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1415628/just-got-my-3d-tv-which-movies-should-i-check-out-to-get-the-full-effect#post_22134870

How To Train Your Dragon is another fantastic 3d title with killer audio as well.

I agree. I would also try tron legacy, hugo, transformers 3, and underworld 4.

Jacob

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. Have tried some. Not really blowin away with the 3D. Is there some settings that help? What is the preferred viewing distance? Seems the closer I am the better it is but I don't sit that close to any TV.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711  /t/1415628/just-got-my-3d-tv-which-movies-should-i-check-out-to-get-the-full-effect#post_22141596

Thanks. Have tried some. Not really blowin away with the 3D. Is there some settings that help? What is the preferred viewing distance? Seems the closer I am the better it is but I don't sit that close to any TV.

what blu ray player do you have?

do you have the 2012 set? you will need the 2012 3d glasses for that.

I own the gt25. I have to use the older 3d glasses for it. I own two of the 3rd generation glasses.

Jacob

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711  /t/1415628/just-got-my-3d-tv-which-movies-should-i-check-out-to-get-the-full-effect#post_22141596

it depends on what you are looking for. are you wanting towatch the type of 3d that pops off your screen or the 3d with lots of depth? if you are looking for pop out than watch sammys adventure.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad711  /t/1415628/just-got-my-3d-tv-which-movies-should-i-check-out-to-get-the-full-effect#post_22145763

I'm looking for pop out. Thanks.

and I do have the right glasses jacob, thanks

the modern 3d is more about depth then pop out.

Jacob

1 - 20 of 62 Posts