AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man does it look good out of the box. But, this being my first plasma display, I am looking for any good do's and don'ts.

I am using the pdp5002 card in it and have my AV Reciever (Denon 3803) out the component connection to the display via source 2 (rgbhv bnc connectors). Everything else is connected to the Reciever.

Questions:

Calibration, how important is it and what to use for the do-it-yourselfer?

Burn in - what is the general rule of thumb with length of time a still image is on the screen?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I wouldn't worry about calibration and tweaking it too much yet. I'd give it a few weeks or a month of break-in time (and time for you to get used to it) before you start tweaking.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
985 Posts
You do want to set the contrast and brightness settings appropriately now, since plasmas are most susceptible to harm in its first months of use. Get a copy of Video Essentials or Avia for diy settings. At minimum, some dvd's come with a little THX Optimizer menu (I know it's on Toy Story) that helps the average joe like me.

Still images? Maybe 2-3 hours? Hard to say.

#1 thing: Contrast Down.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Redz:

Congrats on the new toy! I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

If you notice a green cast on any of your inputs. try turning down the RGB High settings in Integrator Mode. Most Pio 50" panels suffer from this problem.

A proper calibration with the right equipment makes an amazing difference. It may be worth it to you sometime in the future. Put 200-300 hours on it first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
sorry if this is a stupid question but i haven't seen the 503cmx up close yet...i'm planning on helping my friend set up his 503cmx tomorrow night....he has the pioneer card as well.....he is also planning on running component out of the receiver to Input 2 of the 503cmx via component to BNC cable.....my question is, doesn't Input 2 on the Plasma have 5 BNC connectors? how will I know which 3 to use to attach the cable's BNC connectors?

·
Registered
163 Posts
congrats on your 503 CMX. i've had mine for about two months now. i adjusted the settings according to the levels specified in this forum under the model specific thread on the pioneer. i then used video essentials and i dont think i adjusted anything more. i also have a denon, the avr 3300 and have some sources looped through the receiver and some directly to the monitor. i have my tivo straight to s-video and dvd player straight to input 2 component. i've yet to see any green that many have complained about and having a light source behind the screen definitely helped the black levels. thanks to all the things i've picked up here on avs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.