AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got my Sony 1030Q. I received it in fairly good shape except for a large crack in the outer casing right over the top of the red CRT. This caused an already confusing trial and error calibration to be even worse. I think when that crack occured it threw the red raster out of alignment so that the red image was tilted about 15 degrees to the left. After loosing it up and readjusting it I was able to make more progress. Now I have a fairly watchable image but I can tell it is nowhere near where it should be. It seems slightly out of focus, but by eye it seems as good as I can get with focusing the lenses on the crosshair pattern. Also or some reason the is a off color line about 2 inches across running down the left side of the image. Kinda distracting, however I only notice it on 2.35:1 films like LOTR.Anyone have any ideas what this could be? I kinda gave up for the night on the calibration after getting a decent image. Would getting Video Essentials or AVIA help me calibrate this more accurately? I imagine my only being able to use a composite signal doesn't help matters much either though. But thats something I have to live with until I can afford to upgrade. So really I'm just looking for any advice on how to get the image cleaner and more vibrant. Especially on daylit scenes. For some reason right now dark scenes look 50% better than daytime scenes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I was pretty much just shooting in the dark with the 1031Q installation guide. So i am sure that to get the best possible image i'm going to have to up my iq a little and possibly invest some money into the project. Thanks for any help I get.

Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just ran into a couple more issues I wanted to add. First was playing Star Wars Episode 2. Periodically The picture would shift from light to dark like when you hook 2 VCR's together and try to tape a Macrovision protected tape. I don't see any reason why it would be doing this, Unless it's because of my having to use a phono to BNC adapter. That I suppose is quite possible though. Also after having it on a few hours (not sure if heat or time are the source of the problem though) The red gun would kick on really hard and make everything red tinged. After a few second it returns to normal and so on and so forth. Any ideas on any of this? So far i'm kinda regretting my decision on this projector. But i'm hoping for the most part my issues can be solved. Guess we'll see though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 1030Q, so I can't help much with the basic issues, but I would think that shifting light and dark picture that you're seeing is probably macrovision related. I used to have an Ampro 2000, and when connected to either the composite or s-video input, it would do this. One way to know for sure would be to put in a disc that doesn't have macrovision. I think this is the case with Video Essentials, if you have access to it.

I think someone who knows the 1030Q will soon post with help on the other issues.

Matt

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
JBosch,

If you are feeding it with composite, then in all likelihood you are seeing macrovision problems. Feed it with RGBHV to avoid this problem.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
jbosch,

Sorry I cannot help you on the Sony issues as I am a Barco man myself. The flashing you are seeing is in fact Macrovision related. From my understanding many older projectors are affected by the signal just as if you were copying a tape. Although others may weigh in, you may need to invest in a Macrovision remover (problem is they are usually only composite and rarely S-video), a Time Base Corrector will work (problem is $$$, they average $300 used on Ebay) or a VCR Friendly DVD Player. These are DVD players that don't output Macrovision. Many of these are cheaper Chinese or Korean made players that you can enter a secret code or update the firmware (via a CD-R) to remove (or rather don't add Macrovison). I own a CyberHome 500 which allows you to turn off Macrovision but you have to enter the code for each DVD you play. You can find out more about hackable players at www.nerd-out.com. Keep in mind that many of the cheaper players have certain issues common to cheap consumer electronics. You can also purchase mainstream DVD players that that have had their hardware modified to remove macrovision. One site that sells them (I have no affiliation but have seen satisfied customers post about them) is www.jvb.nl .

Miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would I go about feeding it a RGBHV signal? I can't find any kind of adapter that will convert from component to that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
 Key Digital makes them.

Do a search for transcode in this forum for others.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
There is an automatic gain control switch you can turn off inside the projector to make it stop haing problems with macrovision.

Search this forum for 1031q and AGC, it's about the same pj.

Troy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks for trying to help me guys. However this red issue isn't going away and what they told me to do when I called CRT Cinema led nowhere. Even beyond any of these other issues. This makes the pj pretty much unacceptable. After talking with them it seems I may have an option of returning it to them since it was damaged in shipping. Hopefully since it was I can get some help for return shipping. It looks like from there I can either get it fixed if possible or exchange it for a different... maybe a better model without some of the other issues. What would my next step up in quality be for my needs? I won't have a great deal of money so unfortunantly so no G90 or Marquee 9500LC Ultra for me as of yet. lol Would a 1031Q be a step in the right direction for me? Would having that solve most of the issues i'm experiencing? I know that it's ability to use a line doubler is a giant plus. I don't mind CRT's at all. The size and weight really aren't an issue I have a completly dark room, and I pretty much enjoy tweaking on it to get it right. So I really don't want to go to a digital. I love having the blacks you can only get with one of these. Would the 1031 be something to try to get ahold of? Or would be best off doing something else?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Get an electrohome ecp... Skip the sony unless that is all you have room for. It's only advantage is it's size and it isn't that much smaller.

Troy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.