AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Pannie with my G11 from Alan last July, so I must be in the early batch.

A promised, the message stated that the 751 was ready to ship unless I wanted the 752 lens, which will ship 3rd week of July. I chose the 752.

Also as promised, Shawn has put together a nifty little comparison between the 751 and 752 here .

O Happy Day. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Please note that I'll be making further updates to the calculator later today. The P752 aspect ratio adjustment is now simply integrated into it's tilt (it actually performs better than an internal adjustment). I'm going to have the calculator show the combination of Panamorph tilt and projector tilt for a given vertical offset and aspect ratio, as well as show the relative distortion levels for each.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think Shawn just goes through old posts and picks people who have already stated they are going to wait for the 752 and then offers them the 751. It looks like product is moving but no one ever gets anything. Did the next guy in line get a chance to say no to the 751 that you said no to days ago? Nah,I don't think this could be true either...could it?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I think Shawn just goes through old posts and picks people who have already stated they are going to wait for the 752 and then offers them the 751."

Ouch!

I never thought of that. I'm either too trusting or too gullible I guess.

I do hope you're wrong though.

Chris

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I have found that life is less stressful if one tends to think the best of people rather than the worst. I think that, based on what we know of Shawn, he deserves a little more credit.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I have faith in Shawn and trust I'll eventually get my Panamorph, I'm just curious about the pace of progress.

Its been two weeks since Infocomm and progress seems to be very slow. I believe Shawn is working 24/7 on the 752 to meet the 3rd week of July date. Assembly of 751s should be proceeding without delay but Shawn has had problems with manufacturers in the past.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
How many have actually gotten a Panamorph or email from Shawn?

So far I think I've counted three.

Also, what projector do you intend to use it with?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Due to lack of posts, I would have to assume that only two Panamorphs have actually been delivered so far.

Is this true?

I supposed two is better than zero.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I received an email from Shawn on Friday asking which

version I would prefer.

I've never expressed a preference in any post to the forum.

I requested the 752 too. In his email he said "about 3 more

weeks" for it.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wake me when they're ready.

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
574 Posts
Has anyone wanted and received the 751? I have thought that the 751 was the one that I wanted until I ran his Panamorph comparison calculator - I then determined that the 752 was for me.

I just assumed that there would be less keystone distortion from the 751 when mounting the projector level with the screen top. However, when I ran the test and entered in the 3.8 degree projector tilt, I found that even though the image needed to be raised more using the lens tilt on 752, that the 752 created less keystone distortion. I'm not sure how this is possible given that the lens on the 752 has to tilted up considerably more to align the image with the top of the screen.

Does anyone else have an installation where the projector cannot be raised any higher to allow for 0 projector tilt? If so, please let me know which model you are getting.

Thanks, Brian

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi Brian

I am in the same boat as you. I can't raise my projector enough to allow for a zero tilt either. I am planning to get the 752 after running the numbers on Shawn's lens calculator. I agree with you it looks like less distortion even with the tilt than with the 751.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks fr8flyr,

I'm interested to see how many others have found out the same thing. I haven't seen but one person who wants the 751, especially after the new calculator. I know that I was planning on getting the 751 till I entered in numbers as you just did.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
55 Posts
In response to a subtle email in which I gave delivery instructions for the 751, Shawn responded that I was the 20th person in line, and as people in front of me either opted for the 752 or received the 751, I'd move up the list. According to Shawn almost no one wants the 751 (besides me), so I should be receiving good news in the near future. If Cygnus is going to start delivering the 752 in a few weeks, then any day now should see a stork carrying a bundle of joy to my house. At least it shouldn't be later than the end of the second week in July, should it? I mean with the 752 shipping by then, and all....

With my luck, the 752 will begin to ship the day after my 751 goes out. That is okay with me as long as the day before the 752 ships isn't some time in September, in which case I'd be mighty upset by having to wait on the 751 for an additional two months while the 752 is perfected.

Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
For those keeping track of dates and places in line, I signed up for the Panamorph buy on 30 June 2000. Shawn's reply that I was 20th on the list was dated 25 June 2001.

If Shawn is reading this, can I have the 751 that you offered to Chris Clay, who signed up at least a day after I did?

jim

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It would be nice for Shawn/AVS to clarify the procedure and give an update of the current status. Deja vu?

------------------

Ken Elliott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.