AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing my new Hughes HIRD-E86 platinum HD receiver and so far I like it a lot more than my DTC-100. I'm still learning and am interested in any little tricks out there that other owners know. Also my E86 tried to update it's software at midnight, I rather it not update it self, so I pulled the plug, does anybody know how I can keep it from changing/updating the software? or what the new software does?

Thanks Dean

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Dean: Next time the software wants to update, let it! Your menu probably operates a little sluggishly right now. The 5099 update speeds up the menu. You have the best STB in existence in my opinion. Read the manual and you will see many great features on this unit. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I will be glad to answer them, but the manual is pretty thorough.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dean,

All in all a great box, but you must keep it well ventilated. I have had problems with mine due to excessive heat buildup in an enclosed cabinet. I am using fans now to keep it cool. If you search the forum you will find a few threads that speak of this problem. Keep it cool and you'll be in great shape. Note that the box stays warm even when off.

Let the box take the 5099 update too. It speeds up the menu and gives you a few more options than 5046 firmware and it also corrects some problems associated with the 5085 firmware.

enjoy....

Ralph

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just replaced a Mits HD SR5 (high def input fried during lighting strike) with the Hughes E86. It, in all respects, is the same box. Instruction manual identical except for "Hughes" name and label vs. "Mitsubishi". Operation, menus, remote, etc. identical.

5099 Upgrade occurred in early morning hours after STB hooked up and activated. Had to reset guide by going to Local and reinstalling zip code and cable company.

No problems with operation - pix quality fine and response to commands from remote are quick.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deanzsho
I just finished installing my new Hughes HIRD-E86 platinum HD receiver and so far I like it a lot more than my DTC-100. I'm still learning and am interested in any little tricks out there that other owners know. Also my E86 tried to update it's software at midnight, I rather it not update it self, so I pulled the plug, does anybody know how I can keep it from changing/updating the software? or what the new software does?

Thanks Dean
Just curious, why would you not want the software to update?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Eventually, the update will be downloaded by your STB - from reading previous posts, and my own experience, it did two things: 1- changed the turbo tune to make it easier to change favorites; and, 2 - on Mits STB, took away the option as to gray or black sidebars. It also allegedly, sped up the program quide.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I just got the recevier, and it either came with, or upgraded to 5099 that night. I have an option for black sidebars (I hate gray), so were you saying it added the option or took it away? If it took it away, mine is still black (for now) and better stay that way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got mine from best buy for 499 and the oval dish for 150. I like the box except for how warm it gets, even when the power is off, but this is normal I guess. I had a tough time finding a good spot to locate the dish because of all the trees. Can someone please tell me if these signal strengths are good enough. Sat 101 is 92 and Sat 119 is 82 at the highest. I am not worried about the 101 but the 119 I wish I could get better. I am hitting the top of trees I guess and I haven't had a rain storm yet so I don't know how that will effect it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, I let it take the update and it is actually faster, mostly remote control entries it seems. Messed up my off air signal, was hell to get it to go back on but I finally figured them out. I love this box, it rocks.

Dean

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
82 is fine for 119. If it was hitting trees, it would be bouncing from 82 to 0 as the wind blows. If its a steady 78-82, you are in good shape.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Davenlr
82 is fine for 119. If it was hitting trees, it would be bouncing from 82 to 0 as the wind blows. If its a steady 78-82, you are in good shape.
You are in great shape! I only get a 60-65% on B at full strength and almost never lose my signal. I get pretty strong reception on B down to about 25-30%, any lower and lose the lock. If you decide to add the Sat. C kit, with your strong signals you should get a signal somewhere in the 90's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.