AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this player to replace an Oppo DV980H and I've never been happier with a switch in my entire life. The Marantz does exactly what it says it will in the manual, without endless firmware upgrades, and it doesn't change its mind about how you're supposed to toggle the various disc settings to make everything work from disc to disc.

Its picture quality is vastly superior to the Oppo, the reproduction of audio tracks on DVD's and CD's is audiophile-grade, and, best of all, the Marantz is far more robust to different formats. (Most of my personal DVD backups of old VHS recordings wouldn't even spin-up in the Oppo, and the ones that did would play about one frame in every twelve or fifteen of video, making the whole thing look like clay-mation.)

And before you ask, the price has come way, way down: I paid about four hundred for mine. But, you know, this Marantz is so far superior to the Oppo that you'd be better-off paying full retail for the Marantz if you had to.

Send me a PM if you'd like to hear the whole story.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_or_man /forum/post/14167099

I bought this player to replace an Oppo DV980H and I've never been happier with a switch in my entire life. The Marantz does exactly what it says it will in the manual, without endless firmware upgrades, and it doesn't change its mind about how you're supposed to toggle the various disc settings to make everything work from disc to disc.

Its picture quality is vastly superior to the Oppo, the reproduction of audio tracks on DVD's and CD's is audiophile-grade, and, best of all, the Marantz is far more robust to different formats. (Most of my personal DVD backups of old VHS recordings wouldn't even spin-up in the Oppo, and the ones that did would play about one frame in every twelve or fifteen of video, making the whole thing look like clay-mation.)

And before you ask, the price has come way, way down: I paid about four hundred for mine. But, you know, this Marantz is so far superior to the Oppo that you'd be better-off paying full retail for the Marantz if you had to.

Send me a PM if you'd like to hear the whole story.

Nice to hear that. I knew you would. I have the VC6001 and just love it. Congrats.

frenchmon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts