AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, like in the discussion i had about splitters here on the forum a few weeks ago, i didnt have much time but i finally bought and recieved my new Coax splitters, i bought the Antronix balanced 3 way splitter, -5.5db loss on each leg, and an antronix 2 way splitter with -3.5db loss on each leg.

I was ready to install them yesterday but before i did i went on my BEDROOM tv and wanted to make a note of the signal strengthes of the channels, i remember nbc hd had only 3 bars and so on.. so i was gonna make a note, out of nowhere, the signal strength of nbc hd is 1 bellow FULL, i swtiched to tbs hd, and it has FULL Signal strenght(full bars.. ) same with wpix , fox hd and all the locals,

how is that possible? i didnt change anything in my configuration, could it be time warner increased the signal to my apartment?

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
Maybe another tenant called the cableco and reported a problem which was probably identified and resolved.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see, so i didnt install the new splitters i have, i shouldnt right? i mean if its workin fine then just leave it yea?

here are my diganostics as of today, did anything change since my last post? (improve/decrease.. )

Again, i didnt change anything, i was about to install my new splitters which just arrived as i was advised and i checked the signal to note down and i see that now there are full bars and what not..

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18302414

i see, so i didnt install the new splitters i have, i shouldnt right? i mean if its workin fine then just leave it yea?

Yeah, if you like how it is, don't touch it. I've screwed up a few things by not adhering to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" doctrine.

Quote:
here are my diganostics as of today, did anything change since my last post? (improve/decrease.. )

It would help if you linked us to your "last post." Some of us don't like to hunt through the archives when it isn't our question.
If I remember right, you had good stats before, too, so I don't think much will be accomplished.

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
What were you expecting the splitters to do for you? Depending on your system, your leg could have been rebalanced as Ratman previously suggested. The levels are basically the same even though they are on different frequencies, and that is the way it is supposed to be. No reason I see for you to mess with anything.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Note the signal levels may vary some on different days and time of day/night since coax typically has more loss in hotter temperatures.

I see lower signal level during the day (warmer) compared to at night (colder) every day on my cable modem - varying 5dB or more.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/18303043

What were you expecting the splitters to do for you? Depending on your system, your leg could have been rebalanced as Ratman previously suggested. The levels are basically the same even though they are on different frequencies, and that is the way it is supposed to be. No reason I see for you to mess with anything.

the thing is that in my apartment configuration i have a 2 way splitter splitting the signal coming into the apartment, one leg goes to my living room hdtv , the other leg goes into a 4 Way splitter which is in my bedroom, now, one leg from the 4 way splitter goes to my bedroom hdtv, the second leg goes to my Time warner cable modem, the third leg goes into my second bedroom tv, the 4th leg is unused,

So i was told i should buy a 3 way balanced splitter and replaced the 4 way splitter with and that it will give me an increase in signal quality,

Now when i was recommanded that i was checking on my HDTV the signal strength recieved from the coax going into the tv(im not using a cable box.. )

And it was 4 bars out of 8, so i was sure it was defintley the splitter loosing me signal quality. now i recieved my splitters and i was ready to install the new 3 way splitter instead of the 4 way but i checked the signal strenght in the hdtv and its now either FULL on some channels or 1 below FULL signal.. i dont understand how it could of happened..

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18302414

Again, i didnt change anything, i was about to install my new splitters which just arrived as i was advised and i checked the signal to note down and i see that now there are full bars and what not..

Your downstream power level decreased, which is to be expected. What's really cool, though, is that your SNR improved. You're not transmitting on a different upstream channel, which has improved communications from your modem to the CMTS. Probably less interference.

Here's another vote for leaving it alone. If you ever do decide to change out the splitters, you will already have them in your box of totally useless stuff.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/18304427

Your downstream power level decreased, which is to be expected. What's really cool, though, is that your SNR improved. You're not transmitting on a different upstream channel, which has improved communications from your modem to the CMTS. Probably less interference.

Here's another vote for leaving it alone. If you ever do decide to change out the splitters, you will already have them in your box of totally useless stuff.

gotcha, i mean its really interesting.. i guess the cable company did something and increased my signal or something..

·
Registered
22,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18304699

i guess the cable company did something .

I guess they did.

Stop the obsessing, leave it alone and enjoy your service.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18304754

I guess they did.

Stop the obsessing, leave it alone and enjoy your service.

yea i understand, its just that i recieved my new splitters in the mail and i was ready to install them and now i see that theres no need anymore lol.. oh well..

cheers

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Ebay them. I imagine there's another lamonsasa who has a great picture but is obsessing over whether replacing his splitter with an identical splitter will make it better. Easy money.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/18304842

Ebay them. I imagine there's another lamonsasa who has a great picture but is obsessing over whether replacing his splitter with an identical splitter will make it better. Easy money.

lol
the only reason why i bought the new splitter is because i was told in the other thread that the 4th unused leg is loosing me un ncessecary power and so i wanted to take advantage of all the power, and then when i checked signal levels on my hdtv it was horrible, 3 bars out of 8, so i figured that it must be the splitter.. but now the levels out of nowhere have jumped up ,its very strange.. who knows..

·
Banned
7,723 Posts
In all honesty, since you have the new 3 way splitter, you may as well get rid of that 4way and put the 3way in its place. It certainly won't hurt anything, and may give you just enough headroom that should a problem arise later, you won't need to be concerned with it.

The one thing you fail to mention, is if the unused port on the 4way is terminated or if it is just open/left alone. If it is not properly terminated it is very possible to have interference get into the system that will affect signal quality. Cable TV is designed to be a closed system, and any breaks in the integrity can affect you and/or others in the system.

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
His 4th is port is unterminated. He initially thought it was a (the?) problem. He was instructed to buy/try one. Also he was educated about splitters many times.

Nonetheless, he no longer has any problem and whatever was "the problem" has been resolved while still using a 4-way splitter with an unterminated port.

Have fun and read some of the "history".

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...562&highlight=

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, any further discussion is just going to make him paranoid. He'll imagine he has some problem and start asking questions again.

And believe me, you don't want that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts