AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a chance getting home from work to power up the H76.

Pretty nice, what I expected.

SDE is noticable at 1.0 - 1.1x.

Blacks are ok, about the same as the DT-300 I used to have, image doesn't have the depth of the HT1100. If I were to do it all over again might have just kept my HT1100 and got the lens would have been just a tad more $ then the refurb H76.

Very sharp, seems visablly sharper then the HT1100.

Thats all I have time to write for now, more will come later. For 720p its a good deal but those looking for black level and don't sit as close as I like to sit should look for better contrast.

This PJ is SUPER quite.

Chris

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've been keeping up with your projector comparisons.

A little disappointing that blacks are similar to the DT-300. When I had the DT-300 I wished the blacks were a little better. But it's good that the H76 is a very quiet projector. That DT-300 was a jet engine to my ears.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was a little dissapointed with the blacks out of the box.

However, my big peave with projectors is seeing screen door and this projector pretty much fixes that issue.

If your sitting more then 1.5x away I would have just stayed with the DT-300, but thats too far for me. I like 1.0x-1.2x.

However, if your bothered by the noise of the DT-300 then this pj would be pretty nice, very quiet. This is non-issue for me cause of A/C and HTPC and xbox are all bigger noise makers.

Also for someone who plays video games on the projector the higher rez of the projector is a bonus and will be when xbox 360 comes out.

Its the cheapest HD2 chiper out there so for those who need the high rez and decent but not great black level this is the PJ for you.

Chris

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
At first the noise from the DT-300 didn't bother me that much until I realized that I was trying too hard to really like it and keep it since I was wowed by the HUGE image being projected (106'' diagonal) in front of my eyes for the first time in my house.

At approx 1.8x screen width I was sensitive to SDE with it. So I figure I'm going to have to go with with a 720 projector.

·
Registered
51 Posts
KramerTC: My experience of DT300 is quite opposite to yours. I was bothered by the noise first and decided to return it. Then I decided to watch a few movies without bias and realized I cannot go back to my LCD anymore. In order to reduce the noise, I place it in a large TV cabinet with one side open and add foam to the cabinet walls which made it virtually silent. After I can make it silence, I got lazy and just placed on my coffee table. I can still hear the noise but not bothered it anymore since I know I have the option to make it silence.

Now I connected DT 300 to my HTPC, the picture is absolutely gorgeous.

BTW, 1.8x for SDE on DT300? Movies? Man, you must have super sharp vision! You probably do not want an LCD then.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I should have been more clear when I said I was sensitive to SDE. It wasn't present all the time. I saw it in sky shots and bright scenes in general. I also think the texture of the Graywolf it was paired with was "muddying" the picture a little bit. English is not my native language so I turn on the subtitles often when watching movies so I don't miss any nuances in the dialog. The SDE was also very evident on the subtitles.

My vision is 20/20 but I also think I am very finicky :)

I haven't tried LCD yet. I'm hoping that the D5 panels will do it for me or at least help bring the price down some more on the value 720P DLPs.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping to save some bucks and go LCD HD with a z3 or z2 but from what I've read they have the same SDE as a 576p DLP. I have seen a panny 500 in person but it was last year so not a good comparison. But for people senistive to SDE its basically a real small screen, sit far away, or go with 720p DLP or better.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.