AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was finally delivered to my dealer, and I immediately went and picked it up myself. Even though my GrayHawk screen won¡¦t be installed until next Tuesday, I just couldn¡¦t wait and projected it to my slightly pinkish white wall.

My DVD is Sony DVP-9000ES, interlaced out to a Faroudja NRS (1280x720), then RGB (5xBNC) to the projector.

Woo, the picture is very good already, colour is rich, contrast is very good, though black is just reasonable (should improve with the GrayHawk screen). Since it is night time here in HK, I can turn down all light sources, and the brightness is more than adequate and in fact very pleased to my eyes. (I once watched the Sony 11HT in similar lighting condition, and found the Sony too bright and tiring) The image is very film-like while not shy on details, resolution is very good and you have to go to about 5 feet from the screen (wall) to see the pixels. By the way, I am projecting to 80¡¨ size and viewing from about 12 feet distance.

I will try to view it again during daytime tomorrow where I get more ambient light in the room, and also try to go direct from the DVD player using progressive output.

The model I get is the Japanese model where all labels are in Japanese (even the remote !), but is easy to figure out what they mean. Also, VERY GOOD news (for me at least) is the OSD can be changed to English ! Though the manual remains a heahache.

I paid only US $6,000 including the shipping cost to HK, very attractive indeed.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hi Cam,

Congratulation. You got the excellent equipment. Faroudja NRS should be the best video processor for digital projector. I've watched Pioneer AX10+NRS+LT150. The picture was so beautiful that close to the HDTV. I don't think Z9000 could be used in the room with ambient light. I guess the brightness should be similar to LT150 which also has 800 lumens.

------------------

CKL

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Cam:

Nice setup! Believe it or not, I started out projecting on a pink wall too and it was a lot better than I expected. You'll see a drastic improvement in black level and contrast when you get your Greyhawk.

Dan

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
cam- Congratulations on your Sharp XV-Z9000 projector. I look forward to reading more of your comments after you have used the projector and the Greyhawk arrives. I can't wait to see the Sharp in person.

Spero D.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Cam- I just purchased the same exact combo (Z9000 and 720 NRS) but will have to wait about two weeks to get it! Please keep posting on this thread and let us know how everything is working, maybe even posting some settings that you determine for the Z9000 and the NRS. There's quite a few color settings on the Z9000, let us know which one you settled on. I'll be using a 100" diagonal 16:9 GrayHawk with total light control so I think the Sharp will be plenty bright. Can't wait to hear more! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
cam- How is it going with the Sharp? Anything else you can add? Did you get the Sharp ceiling mount as well?

Spero D.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I tested the projector again during day time, where sunlight was coming in from the back windows in the room, I have curtains but not thick enough. As expected, the image suffers with pale colours, but still watchable, even the battle scene in the beginning of the Gladiator. Nevertheless, there should be some light control in order to have a decent image.

I also tried to go direct from the dvd player, with both interlaced and progressive output. Overall, the internal de-interlacer is quite good, as least on par with the Sony 9000ES, and they have one 3D progressive mode which I think is even better than film mode. However, the Faroudja NRS is still superior of all, the F gives the most natural colour and slightly more 3D image, though to save extra 3K+ I can live with the internal one quite happily.

The fan noise is rather low, as I haven’t connected to my surround system (ie. silent image) and the projector is sitting on my coffee cable, I don’t find it bothering.

The focus ring on the front of the lens is a bit too loose.

I forgot to mention rainbow effect last time, definitely a non-issue, can consider it as gone.

There is however a problem with PAL source on the 5x RCA input when the source is 720p / 50Hz, it can not sync, only the VGA input can. I seem to remember that it can sync with the source of 480i, so our european members please be awared.

The S and composite inputs allow you to choose different video broadcast systems, but the internal scaler gives too saturated and unreal colour as compared to the Faroudja. I believe that can be improved by tweating with those image parameters.

Please note that this is all observed without a proper screen.

I will have a tailor made and cheaper ceiling mount. By the way, it is using the same AN-TK202 mount as some older models (eg. XG-V10W), so an alternative should be easily found.

Regards,

Cam

[This message has been edited by cam (edited 09-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by cam (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
I can live with the internal one quite happily.
Good to hear and a hats off to Sharp on that.

Quote:
The fan noise is rather low, as I haven’t connected to my surround system (ie. silent image) and the projector is sitting on my coffee cable, I don’t find it bothering.
I recently saw and heard the Sony 11HT projector recently here in Ausralia and paid close attention to the sound level of the fans as they are supposed to be the same db as the Sharp 9000. If the Sharp has the same level of noise I will be extremely happy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
The focus ring on the front of the lens is a bit too loose.
I remember a little trick that Bill C. once told me over on the Bigpicure on how to focus my Sony 400QM LCD projector correctly. Have some stand righ up next to your screen and when you see a pixel look absolutely square it is focused correctly. You may be able to try this with the Sharp? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
I forgot to mention rainbow effect last time, definitely a non-issue, it can consider it as gone.
I haven't seen many DLP projector and therefore have not paid attention to the rainbow effect so it is good to know it is as good as gone on the Sharp.

Quote:
There is however a problem with PAL source on the 5x RCA input when the source is 720p / 50Hz, it can not sync, only the VGA input can.
Is this when using PAL progressive etc? I have heard a rumour that the Sharp XV-Z9000E (i.e. the European version will not have this problem.)

Did you by chance see any banding on any images?

Spero D.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just tried few more things regarding to PAL source.

What I found:

1) On 3xRCA component input: both 480i and 480p is ok. (480p is through my Skyworth 1050p)

2) On VGA input: either NTSC/PAL source is always displayable, I said displayable because through the Faroudja NR, the signal rate displayed by the projector when playing PAL source is actually 800x600, I don't know why (my PAL source both TV boardcast or DVD is 4:3) ? May be this is a Faroudja problem ?

On NTSC source, both RCA or VGA inputs can accept 720p.

BTW I have not seen any bending of the image.

Cam

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nitoni,

In fact when I tried out the PAL dvd, the signal type displayed on the projector doesn't say 480P (I just use it to describe DVD source for convienence), it is blank on the resolution column, and on the Horizontal freq, it is 15.6 and 31.2 KHz for interlaced and progressive respectively (I guess this is 625 x 25 and 625 x 50). The vertical freq is 50 Hz as expected.

Cam

·
Registered
30 Posts

One thing to remember...

When listening for fan noise it seems most projectors are somewhat quiet on a coffee table or down low. You will USUALLY hear considerably more fan noise once you ceiling mount it, if you go that route.

Johnny

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Hi Cam,

It's because the projector will be hotter in ceiling mount position because hot air goes upward. So many projectors will span the fan faster or even turn on some extra fans to move more air around for better cooling. That's why in ceiling mount position the fan noise may be louder.

Btw, did you get my email message?

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi there

I saw the Sharp at the High-End Expo in Switzerland.

No comments can be made on picturequality, because the set-up was terrible.No calibration,no light controled room ..........

They where showing the DTS Demo disc with U571 and Haunting.

What troubled me the most was the strong banding/solarization on faces and dark scenes.

When I asked the rep if it was a prototype or the final model, he said that it was the US-model!!

Is this realy the case ? Does the Sharp show these banding problems and if yes, can the problem be eliminated by using an other source or doing a calibration ?

I am not trying to be picky, but the banding was so strong it couldn't be overlooked!

Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
491 Posts
Anthony,

What was the feed? 480i, 480p, 576i, or 576p? And from what kind of source?

If the feed was a PAL progressive signal, it should be obvious by now, given several independent reports, that the models targeted for NTSC markets do not perform satisfactory with PAL signals. That would be bummer since the price for the Japanese model is so attractive compared to the European model.

If it was fed a PAL interlaced signal, couldn't the banding problem be related to the internal scaler and how it handles PAL signals? And could you elaborate some more on the nature of the banding effect?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Anthony that banding problem has me worried. However why haven't other US owners, reviewers noticed that problem?

Spero D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my Sharp 9000 too and I am VERY pleased. It beats the Seleco HT250 I had hands down, partly because of significantly more pixels in 16:9 format.

My only complaint is that I feed multiple sources into the video 1 component video input and there seems to be now way to have present video settings to deal with different sources from DVD, HDTV and SAT.....any suggestions? I have not played with the Gamma software yet and hope that this can help the issue.

Regarding the mention of banding, I had this problem with my HT250 and Farudja NRS, but do not see this or the pixelization on this model.

ron

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi there

The signal came from a new Sharp DVD-Player. It was only 480i!

I'm almost sure that it was NTSC. I don't think the DTS Demodisc exists in PAL.That's why I was surprised to see the banding on a NTSC signal.

As for elaborating the scene. I saw the effect especially in Haunting. When the girl is in bed (the scene where the window bursts in slow-motion) and you have a close up of here face, shadow of cheeks look digitized.No smooth texture but more of a digital looking ......difficult to describe.

I used to see this on the older DLP models but have improved lately with the newer Projectors. That's why it seemed so odd to me, seeing the Sharp with the same problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.