AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flew in on the redeye back from Las Vegas and CES early yesterday and since I got back home around 9AM I had just one thing to do before going to bed: While I was in Vegas I got a message on my voicemail saying my SVS sub had arrived and to call to schedule delivery. So I called once I got home and was told they'd drop it off about 1PM. Woke up 12 hours later (very sleep deprived from being at CES---got maybe 4 hours each night) and there at my front door was a box almost as big as the door itself. Well, maybe not but it was huge! And lucky me because the MBM-12 was sitting right next to it and happened to arrive on this same day. Two hours later, after some improvising and a call to a friend to get the SVS into the family room both subs were setup (still have to do the SPL meter and equalization though so I just finished the basic setup).

Since my center channel has gone missing for a little while
I couldn't really watch a movie all that well but boy could I hear the difference that my two new subs make. The bass is so incredibly clean and deep. To be completely honest, it's just as good (100%) as the demo of the PB12-Plus/2 that I was given in SVS's suite in Vegas. I was very surprised considering how much larger my room is. Without a doubt I have fallen in love with the movie experience all over again. I get a sense of excitment that was never in the room before. The Klipsch speakers I have are incredible---will be even more so once I get my two extra surrounds to complete the 7.1 system next week along with my awesome Klipsch RC-64 center channel---but these subs from both SVS and HSU simply push it over the top to a point that makes you forget that you even had to go to the bathroom 20 minutes ago. And I haven't even scratched the surface. I still have many DVD's and music CD's to listen to as well as properly configure both subs with a SPL meter and either the Velodyne SMS-1 or SVS's new AS-EQ1 ---- will I even need a SPL meter and the Avia DVD if I get the SMS-1 or AS-EQ1?

As far as the differences between the MBM-12 and PB12-Plus/2: I really only got to spend 30 minutes listening to both so far so it's hard to say. But from what I've listened to so far the PB12-Plus/2 lays the primer base for the room and the MBM-12 finishes it off and gives it that final touch. With just the Plus/2 playing it was great but I felt like I needed just a tad of that extra umph and that's what the MBM-12 delivered.

Can't wait to spend some more time with my new friends.

One question: I was planning on selling the Klipsch RT-10d sub that I replaced with these two new ones from SVS and HSU but I got to thinking maybe I should consider returning the MBM-12 and using the RT-10d in its place. I'm going to test it out tomorrow and see how it sounds. Any downsides to doing this that you guys can think of since the RT-10d isn't a mid bass unit like the MBM-12?

Here's some pictures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukkis /forum/post/0

Congrats on the purchase. Looks great.

Now all you need is a second to join the rest of us in the 'twins' club.

EDIT: I just couldn't resist. My second PB12-Plus/2 in Rosenut is on its way tomorrow. Should be here Thursday or Friday.

· Registered
1,044 Posts
Congrats Denon, I am happy for you because I know you have been struggling over making a decision between SVS & HSU. I decided to go with an HSU once I file my taxes and make sure Uncle Sam isn't taking anymore $$

Great pics, continue to post your impressions!

· Registered
8,755 Posts
Really like the Rosenut finish versus the rosewood. Nice. Not sure you'd want to paid the 10-d with the SVS given the huge difference between the two subs. You could consider using the sub to augment the bass from your fronts/centre or rears.

· Registered
1,212 Posts

· Registered
3,041 Posts
let us know thoughts and opinions.......

i saw you were watching lotr from the one picture......try return of the king when the elephants come STOMPING through.........that will test out that sub and blow your mind!

· Registered
7,338 Posts
Nice job there Denon.... Great pics, and Im glad your happy.....

Id also be interested in hearing more about the second sub integration...

That Sub looks so Familiar.. !!!!
she's a monster Hey...

May I ask you what you wrapped your wires up with here, as I also have to hide some wires running on my floor..

Or anyone have some suggestions for wrapping wires running on the floor.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Is it just a difference between the premium finishes and the black poly finish or did SVS rearrange the back side of the sub? Looking at these pictures I see your amp and ports are the opposite of mine.

· Registered
709 Posts
Well done Denon, and great pictures! Have you tried experimenting with the MBM-12 placed sideways behind the couch (crossover no higher than about 90Hz)? I would be interested in getting your feedback on that. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

· Registered
4,633 Posts
You didn't mention how you have the +/2 tuned. Since you have the MBM to boost the mid bass, I would suggest you plug two ports on the +/2 and turn the subsonic filter to 16Hz. I kept mine at 20 for quite awhile, but I am now trying 16. After getting used to it, I think I will keep it this way.

Maybe Peter can concur, but you might try placing the MBM on a small area rug to isolate it from the floor. Some members have complained of noise when they use a down-firing sub (sans base plate) on hardwood floors.

Nice touch of protecting the innocent by blurring your family photos.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

I still have a lot of experimenting to do so thanks for the suggestions. Because much of the technial stuff on the back of each subwoofer, mostly the SVS, is over my head I was thinking of finding out if someone from Sound Advice could come over and properly configure and equalize everything. Do you guys think that might be a good idea? I think the time I would spend on trying to get everything just right is worth the $200 or whatever it would cost for Sound Advice to do it for me. I'm going to find out if they do this kind of thing and if they would bring an equalizer over like the Velodyne SVS-1. If so I think it'd be worth while to go that route considering an SVS-1 would cost me about $500 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/0

Really like the Rosenut finish versus the rosewood. Nice. Not sure you'd want to paid the 10-d with the SVS given the huge difference between the two subs. You could consider using the sub to augment the bass from your fronts/centre or rears.

I don't think I quite understand what you mean. Are you saying I should consider placing the RT-10d between my two front speakers to pump up the bass in that area? That confuses me because the PB12-Plus/2 would only be a few feet away from that spot. I really only have room for two subs (those two locations that are being used by the MBM-12 and PB12-Plus/2 in the pictures) without things getting messy and start to mess with the way the room is setup. I got an amazing deal on the RT-10d (lets just say it was less than $800) so I was thinking since it's so much more powerful than the MBM-12 that I might want to utilize it. I'm just wondering what kind of downsides I would see by pairing the SVS and Klipsch RT-10d, if any---considering the RT-10d isn't a mid bass unit like the MBM-12 it would be replacing. If that makes sense...

Quote:

I'm thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

let us know thoughts and opinions.......

i saw you were watching lotr from the one picture......try return of the king when the elephants come STOMPING through.........that will test out that sub and blow your mind!

Thanks. I've got the trilogy so I'll be sure to try it out. So many DVD's to test.... so little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/0

Nice job there Denon.... Great pics, and Im glad your happy.....

Id also be interested in hearing more about the second sub integration...

May I ask you what you wrapped your wires up with here, as I also have to hide some wires running on my floor..

I think it's this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Cord-Control-C...&s=home-garden

I'm actually going to head out to Lowes tomorrow and see if I can find a good solution for better concealing the cable to the MBM-12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marcks /forum/post/0

Well done Denon, and great pictures! Have you tried experimenting with the MBM-12 placed sideways behind the couch (crossover no higher than about 90Hz)? I would be interested in getting your feedback on that. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that later today and let you know how it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/0

You didn't mention how you have the +/2 tuned. Since you have the MBM to boost the mid bass, I would suggest you plug two ports on the +/2 and turn the subsonic filter to 16Hz. I kept mine at 20 for quite awhile, but I am now trying 16. After getting used to it, I think I will keep it this way.

Maybe Peter can concur, but you might try placing the MBM on a small area rug to isolate it from the floor. Some members have complained of noise when they use a down-firing sub (sans base plate) on hardwood floors.

Nice touch of protecting the innocent by blurring your family photos.

I'll give that a try later today as well. As far as a small area rug goes to place under the MBM-12, will any area rug do or should it be a certain kind?

· Registered
709 Posts

Quote:
I got an amazing deal on the RT-10d (lets just say it was less than $800) so I was thinking since it's so much more powerful than the MBM-12 that I might want to utilize it.

I'm not sure I follow, Denon. Why would you think the MBM-12 is less powerful in comparison (in the mid/upper bass region that it is specifically designed for)? The MBM has massive headroom in that region, more than even most large dual driver subwoofers.

Regarding the throw rug, anything is fine. The important part is to make sure that you don't hear any buzzing of the feet on the hardwood surface.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:

I'm not sure I follow, Denon. Why would you think the MBM-12 is less powerful in comparison (in the mid/upper bass region that it is specifically designed for)? The MBM has massive headroom in that region, more than even most large dual driver subwoofers.

Regarding the throw rug, anything is fine. The important part is to make sure that you don't hear any buzzing of the feet on the hardwood surface.

Peter, I really don't know enough in the area of subwoofers to really say much of anything that's educated so it was just a guess.

The MBM-12 has 350 watts and the RT-10d has 700 watts RMS so that's all I was going off of. The RT-10d also has (3) 10" woofers whereas the MBM-12 has (1). And to really compare the MBM-12 costs $399 whereas the RT-10d is $1,599 so it's a huge difference price wise and I was just thinking with that much of a price difference that the RT-10d would be a better sub.

And no buzzing on the feet of the MBM-12 so far even without a rug. I stuck those fat rubber washers on the bottom of the feet (was I suppose to do that?) so I think that helps.

· Registered
709 Posts
I completely understand now why you thought what you did, Denon! There might be three 10's, but we really have to look at the efficiency of the two products in that region to determine what performance differences there would be (note however that two of the 10's are actually passive radiators used for deep bass duties, so only one of the 10's is utilized for mid/upper bass duties). The MBM with it's ultra light cone woofer is much more efficient at reproducing the mid/upper bass vs other true subwoofers. That's why an MBM-12 with a single 12" woofer and 350w RMS power has higher headroom in that region than three VTF-3 HO's with three 12" woofers and 1500w RMS power!

Using the rubber feet is fine when not using the throw rug, but I would recommend using a throw rug. With a throw rug, you don't need to use the rubber feet.

Thanks

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:

I completely understand now why you thought what you did, Denon! There might be three 10's, but we really have to look at the efficiency of the two products in that region to determine what performance differences there would be (note however that two of the 10's are actually passive radiators used for deep bass duties, so only one of the 10's is utilized for mid/upper bass duties). The MBM with it's ultra light cone woofer is much more efficient at reproducing the mid/upper bass vs other true subwoofers. That's why an MBM-12 with a single 12" woofer and 350w RMS power has higher headroom in that region than three VTF-3 HO's with three 12" woofers and 1500w RMS power!

Using the rubber feet is a good idea when not using the throw rug. If you use a throw rug, then you don't need to use those.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Peter. So what exactly is the difference between low, mid and upper bass? I've heard many on this board talking about how low a sub will go and the low frequencies but I don't really understand it. I've just trusted those on the board here to steer me in the right direction as far as which sub(s) to get and so far I haven't been let down but I'd really like to know what it is we're all talking about here. Please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is this whole 20hz low frequency business about? I tend to learn fast so once I know I won't ask again.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:

I just couldn't resist. My second PB12-Plus/2 in Rosenut is on its way tomorrow. Should be here Thursday or Friday.

I definetly want to keep the MBM-12 after playing with it a bit more and realizing just how big of an impact it makes, quite literally
, so I was wondering if there'd be any downside to placing the MBM-12 on top of my second PB12-Plus/2 that is coming. Would the subs interfere with each other?

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.