AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I cant play them until October when we move into our new home that's being built... well, maybe I can play them end of september if the HT is finished :)

I've looked at various speakers first hand: Monitor Audio, Saphire Audio, Polk, KEF, B&W, Martin Logan... My favorite speakers to date would be something along the lines of the B&W Nautilus speakers... But unfortunately, they're waaay beyond my budget. Well, the SWAN's are my next favorite....

Man o man are these some sexy looking speakers... glossy rosewood, hand rubbed black laquer tops and bottoms...

I got a whole 7.1 set up minus their sub... I went with SVS for a thumper. But, for $3180 delivered... this is easily in the top 5 value pick of the best $$$ I ever spent on "Big toys for big boys"!

I know a lot of you have Rockets and other speakers... but if you've never seen a set of Swans first hand... if you ever get a chance to, I highly recommend it. The look alone might just change your mind.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Congrats!!!

and I know the exact feeling.....as I read your post, it was like you were me a few months ago:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=swan

click on my sig for some pics, and again congrats!!!! ;).....to date I have yet to hear a better speaker under $3k for the mains....the Nautilus 804s are the only ones that have a better sound.

enjoy them and please post some pics.....

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats Mark!

I am in the same boat, my place is being built and I will be ready to buy sometime in November. I've read nothing but great reviews about Swans. I have yet to actually hear these speakers. I need to go audition these babies (Diva 6.1 - audioenvy.com). I am in Central NJ. I hear that the Diva 6.2s will be out very soon. What setup did you go with?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I am interested in listening to these speakers for my 6 an 7 channels. Do these guys sell to retailers? I cant find anybody on the web in my area or anybody elses area? I would not purchase any speaker without hearing them. Can anybody help me with some info where to hear these speakers? Also, what type of Amp/Pre-Pro or Receiver did you guys use for your audition?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy
I am interested in listening to these speakers for my 6 an 7 channels. Do these guys sell to retailers? I cant find anybody on the web in my area or anybody elses area? I would not purchase any speaker without hearing them. Can anybody help me with some info where to hear these speakers? Also, what type of Amp/Pre-Pro or Receiver did you guys use for your audition?

Thanks

www.theaudioinsider.com is the retailer here in the US....the parent company is www.swanspeakers.com which are made by hi-vi (in china).

you can try to find someone local close to your area at www.audioenvy.com ....

if they don't you can always purchase them and return them if you don't like them....Jon Lane is very good at customer service, and their return policy is good. You have 30 days to trial it....;)

given your AV, you will hear as good if not better a sound than those 704s at a fraction of the cost. The Nautilus 804s are better though, so you will need to audition them

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My home wont be built til end of september, maybe beginning of october... as soon as I get the HT room set up, I'll definitely post some pics.

$15,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but is certainly budget minded for a complete HT includind furniture... I think I did a pretty good job getting some pretty nice stuff saving money through the powerbuy, internet sales, etc... I know some of you have spent 2-3 times as much! :p

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
www.theaudioinsider.com is the retailer here in the US....the parent company is www.swanspeakers.com which are made by hi-vi (in china).

you can try to find someone local close to your area at www.audioenvy.com ....

if they don't you can always purchase them and return them if you don't like them....Jon Lane is very good at customer service, and their return policy is good. You have 30 days to trial it....;)

given your AV, you will hear as good if not better a sound than those 704s at a fraction of the cost. The Nautilus 804s are better though, so you will need to audition them
ssabripo,

I tried your link for www.audioenvy.com . I received a web error, not able to go to that website (I will try tomorrow.)

I really don't like to buy from "Online Retailers" especial if I have never listed to the product. The reasons why, a) Product gets damaged in shipping: I need to wait for the insurance credit to but the speakers again and other assocated issues. b) During the warranty Period: If I loose a driver, I need to send the unit back for repair. The retailer I bought my speakers from will service the unit and they are 5 miles away and they stock spare parts. c) If I don't like the speakers: I need to ship them back and wait for my refund. With my speakers, because of the kevlar, it took three weeks to break-in, and there is a buy back upgrade program.

Hopefully, there is a Swan dealer in my area that can let me listen to these speakers and some type of service like this in my area.

A question from my original post (Audition, what type of equipment.) When you listed to these originally, what receiver or Pre/Pro and Amp?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
I tried your link for www.audioenvy.com . I received a web error, not able to go to that website (I will try tomorrow.)
Looks like there might be a site issue. I'm also getting an invalid host name message when trying to reach the site. Maybe, they didn't renew the DNS name for the site.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
ssabripo,

I really don't like to buy from "Online Retailers" especial if I have never listed to the product. The reasons why, a) Product gets damaged in shipping: I need to wait for the insurance credit to but the speakers again and other assocated issues. b) During the warranty Period: If I loose a driver, I need to send the unit back for repair. The retailer I bought my speakers from will service the unit and they are 5 miles away and they stock spare parts. c) If I don't like the speakers: I need to ship them back and wait for my refund. With my speakers, because of the kevlar, it took three weeks to break-in, and there is a buy back upgrade program.

Hopefully, there is a Swan dealer in my area that can let me listen to these speakers and some type of service like this in my area.

A question from my original post (Audition, what type of equipment.) When you listed to these originally, what receiver or Pre/Pro and Amp?

Thanks

you are right...the site is down! don't know what happened because I was there just earlier in the week :confused: ...probably issues with teh provider.

Yes, I completely agree that you should buy what makes sense for you and is comfortable for you! Seems like you are in a situation where buying it locally would make sense. What speakers does your dealer carry? if you read my review from the link above, you will see that what I found personally was that the swans are on par with the 704s, below the nautilus 804s, and slightly above the rockets 750 and axiom M60ti.....but again, to others it may be the other way around, so I really don't know what to say other than you should audition them.

My systems consists of a Yamaha DSP-A1 Rx, a Denon 3910 universal player, and custom made IXOS wires and interconnects.....this is what I used to drive the speakers.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
you are right...the site is down! don't know what happened because I was there just earlier in the week :confused: ...probably issues with teh provider.

Yes, I completely agree that you should buy what makes sense for you and is comfortable for you! Seems like you are in a situation where buying it locally would make sense. What speakers does your dealer carry? if you read my review from the link above, you will see that what I found personally was that the swans are on par with the 704s, below the nautilus 804s, and slightly above the rockets 750 and axiom M60ti.....but again, to others it may be the other way around, so I really don't know what to say other than you should audition them.

My systems consists of a Yamaha DSP-A1 Rx, a Denon 3910 universal player, and custom made IXOS wires and interconnects.....this is what I used to drive the speakers.
ssabripo,

Tried link again, didn't work. My pursuit of an HT speaker system took 1.5 years. I listen to, probably 10 different speaker manufactures from many different retailers in No/SoCAL area. I also reviewed the hardware that was used during the speaker audition. My final speaker choice was the B&W 703's for my front speakers. For the money, these had the best bang for buck. Most of my listening is Music. But also I wanted the vocals to be matched, so I bought the 700 center. I listen to allot of HT and DVD Audio. So I tried to match the rears (used the CDM-1NT's for the rears. ) I looked at the 804's, great speaker, but didn't see the bang for buck that I saw in the 803 speaker (my ears). With the money I save, was able to buy the ASW-750 SUB. My retailer I bought my speakers from handled B&W, NHT, Sonus and Legacy. My next purchase will be probably be a Rotel RB-1090 or the 200watt x 5 Sunfire amp ( Use in byamp mode for the L/R and then the last channel for the center.) I would like the front sound stage to be amp matched.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
ssabripo,

Tried link again, didn't work. My pursuit of an HT speaker system took 1.5 years. I listen to, probably 10 different speaker manufactures from many different retailers in No/SoCAL area. I also reviewed the hardware that was used during the speaker audition. My final speaker choice was the B&W 703's for my front speakers. For the money, these had the best bang for buck. Most of my listening is Music. But also I wanted the vocals to be matched, so I bought the 700 center. I listen to allot of HT and DVD Audio. So I tried to match the rears (used the CDM-1NT's for the rears. ) I looked at the 804's, great speaker, but didn't see the bang for buck that I saw in the 803 speaker (my ears). With the money I save, was able to buy the ASW-750 SUB. My retailer I bought my speakers from handled B&W, NHT, Sonus and Legacy. My next purchase will be probably be a Rotel RB-1090 or the 200watt x 5 Sunfire amp ( Use in byamp mode for the L/R and then the last channel for the center.) I would like the front sound stage to be amp matched.

Cheers

I think you are fine with the stuff you have to be honest with you.....going from the 703s to the 6.1 swans is not exactly an "upgrade"....the 703s are pretty much the 704s with perhaps a little less midrange depth, and they were nearly identical in sound quality of the Swans....

so I don't know why you would even consider looking to swans or any other ones for that matter.......for you to get a real "upgrade" you would have to goto the Nautilus 804s or the Anthony Gallo Ref 3s and such....

i'm kinda confused here..... :confused:

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
I think you are fine with the stuff you have to be honest with you.....going from the 703s to the 6.1 swans is not exactly an "upgrade"....the 703s are pretty much the 704s with perhaps a little less midrange depth, and they were nearly identical in sound quality of the Swans....

so I don't know why you would even consider looking to swans or any other ones for that matter.......for you to get a real "upgrade" you would have to goto the Nautilus 804s or the Anthony Gallo Ref 3s and such....

i'm kinda confused here..... :confused:
I can tell, did you read my first post? I am interested in the swans for my 6th and 7th channel speakers. Because I am not as cancered about the sound matching coming from thoes speakers. When I am ready for my next upgrade, I may go with the 803's or 802'S and 800 center channel. Then move the 703'S to the rears and the CDM's will replace my 6th and 7th channels. Maybe if I buy the swans (if I can find a local retailer), then I will move them into my boys room.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
I can tell, did you read my first post? I am interested in the swans for my 6th and 7th channel speakers. Because I am not as cancered about the sound matching coming from thoes speakers. When I am ready for my next upgrade, I may go with the 803's or 802'S and 800 center channel. Then move the 703'S to the rears and the CDM's will replace my 6th and 7th channels. Maybe if I buy the swans (if I can find a local retailer), then I will move them into my boys room.

I gotcha.....my bad for the confusion :D

well, if that's the case, I would not worry about the 6-7 channel spkrs....the amount of effect/sound coming out of these is really not imperative. Any of the speakers would do great, and honestly the swan 6.1s would actually be an overkill...but if you plan to move them to the kid's room (lucky kids!), then that would be fine...

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The AudioEnvy site is hosted on the same server and administered by the same guy who admins the AV123 site. Since the AV123 site is also down, I'm sure it is server related, and Steve is working feverishly to get it back up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.