AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my XBOX HD AV Pack from my EBWorld preorder....Now all I need is an XBOX.

The Pack comes with the av box, which has the following connections:

Video: RCA - Y Pr Pb

Audio: RCA - L R

Audio: Optical Digital

The pack also comes with a 5 ft. cable with 5 Male-to-Male RCA connections on each end.

-n

·
Registered
708 Posts
so it doesn't come with component cables or optical cable right?

do you have any pictures you can post? I just want to compare and decide whether to go with the HD pack or the Monster cable package.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Alan,

The firstgame to support high-def will be Test Drive which will be released early next year.

However, Maden 2002 will have "Wide Screen Support" which I would interpret to mean 480p.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just read the following on the official X-Box site on the HDTV AV pack:

The High Definition AV Pack connects the Xbox video game system to high definition-ready televisions. Supports 480p, 720p and 1080i component video signals for game play (NTSC only for DVD playback), analog audio inputs and digital receivers.

Does the line "NTSC only for DVD playback" mean that it does NOT support progressive scan playback like the packaging said just a few weeks ago?

If this has already been hashed out, I'm sorry...I just saw that line and realized my plans to buy an X-Box were just seriously altered.

Kevin

·
Registered
904 Posts
kevin,

there was a heated debate about prog. dvd earlier in this forum. I believe the final answer was that there will NOT be progressive DVD support.

jake

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Soycrema
OOPSS, SORRY I MEANT "PROGRESSIVE SCAN"

NO PROGRESSIVE SCAN FOR X-BOX
The xbox DOSE have progresive scan.. Just not for the DVD. But it dose has progresive scan for the games.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Will Microsoft please step forward and just let everyone know.... does it or doesn't it. I have seen no official announcement that it does not. I have seen in store pamphlets for XBox which stated it does support progressive scan DVD playback. :confused:

Some people have suggested it would only be a line doubler.

Hollywood Video has made the following statement,

"In Hollywood Video's October issue of the Movie Companion, we stated that Microsoft's Xbox would have a progressive scan DVD drive. Microsoft has since pulled the progressive scan capabilities from the Xbox but we were unable to retract it from the article before the Companion went to press. We apologize for this misinformation and have created a FAQ with up-to-date Xbox information."

In February the following statements were posted on ConsoleWire,

"While promoting the GeForce 3 graphics board, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang made mention of some of the Xbox's DVD features. He stated that the Xbox DVD drivers will support both Progressive Scan and HDTV output for better quality DVD playback. Microsoft has previously stated that the DVD playback features will have to be "unlocked" with the purchase of perhaps a remote accessory but has yet to confirm or deny these features.

"

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Guns,

The unofficail list is of which games are and aren't supporting wide-screen is changing everyday.

It now looks like Halo will have widescreen support.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
67 Posts
Somebody on this board was saying that they played Halo on an HDTV and it was 4:3. Another person also confirmed it. So far there is nothing to really disprove that since no review states it is 16:9 and on the back of the Halo case it says nothing about widescreen support.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had kept up with that previous thread about progressive scan support for DVD then visited the local video game store where the box clearly stated Progressive Scan on the HDTV AV Pack.

Multiple magazines defining the X-Box hardware clearly stated Progressive Scan support.

I moved from not planning on buying an X-Box to getting ready to line up to buy one.

I think Microsoft has stated it clearly--albiet somewhat hidden--on their website that the X-Box does NTSC for DVD. I read that to state clearly and definitetly: "I won't be buying an X-Box." I didn't buy the Playstation 2 because of that and I won't buy the X-box for that reason.

There is something sinister about including a DVD player, a powerful graphics card and DVD software, then turning OFF progressive scan output.

I guess I can understand the logic--they don't want us to buy this for just the DVD functionality--but at $299, plus the DVD Pack, plus the HDTV AV Pack the price is somewhat high, compared to new progressive scan DVD players on the market. So I was going to buy it for the GAMES, too! I had planned on getting Halo and DOA3.

Oh well, nevermind.

Kevin

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the "Official XBox Magazine" I read that MS had to take progressive DVD output out due to "some licensing issues." Whatever that could be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It will be hacked in a fortnight. :)

On 16:9:

I've heard that Fever, Halo, DoA3, and Azurik support widescreen. Halo is the only one I'm not positive about.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.