AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 2d picture is pretty breathtaking though I am not sure if it is a whole lot better than my 2010 VT20. Honestly the size makes a world of difference. This TV is for my bedroom which is large so the distance to the tv from the head of the bed is around 18 ft. Even at that distance it is plenty fun and way better than my previous LG 42". That one now moves to a nice cozy cardboard box in the attic.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. the 2d picture is very nice. breathtaking is frankly the apt word. The colors are very nice and the extended color gamut makes a world of difference. just toggle that option and the color depth just pops IMO. The movie mode honestly suffers from some poor default settings. Even the Standard option (my most unused option on the VT20) looks better than movie IMO. In standard mode after fiddling and adjusting some settings frankly I was in paradise. The blacks are great. Again i don't find them that much darker than my 2010 VT20 but definitely in some scenes it creates a deeper sense of depth than the latter.

Guys, honestly i think we have reached the point of diminishing returns - BIG TIME in the case of pursuing deeper black levels. Honestly unless 0 black levels come out and it feels that the TV is virtually off in dark scenes, i couldn't further care about this minute increments that these TV companies do in their annual model updates.

2. 3D MOVIE quality is great for movies. Couldn't really find any crosstalk in the 4-5 3D BDs that i checked out. The brightness is great throughout and the sammy app for downloading 3d trailers off the net is going to keep you stocked with new 3d content for some time.

3. Games in general left me VERY underwhelmed. The lack of a smoothing option like the Intelligent frame Creation in the Panny VT20 makes games seem really juddery and jerky. The response time is 40ms and compared to my VT20 thats about double. But I'm no professional gamer so the response time isnt a big deal but the lack of smoothness via added processing is definitely missed especially in games like Crysis 2 where the frame-rate takes serious beatings often.

Games in 3D just SUCK!!!! Apologies for the avoidable language but honestly the amount of cross-talk that i saw in kill-zone 3 made me dizzy. present everywhere, this single biggest hurdle for 3D technology in general (IMO) really messes up the experience. I was so busy trying to adjust my eyes, i couldn't even look where i was headed. I don't know why the cross-talk adjustment options didn't help matters one bit.

So to wrap things up - the 2D picture is definitely worth talking about but the main thing is the size. At 64" the picture is truly impressive and for a bedroom/smallish home theater solution a perfect substitute for a projector. The 3D definitely requires work in the gaming department. 3D in movies works fine.

·
Banned
568 Posts
I read your review shortly after you posted it, and you've got some pretty useful info about your exp with 3D. ...I've never used a 3D TV before, but was surprised by how much you disliked the quality of the feature: but for the record Killzone 3 probably isn't a very good test for it (neither any other console game), the best test would be via a PC game. I'm a console gamer myself, but I really don't know how well the console games are able to effectively display a "flawless 3D image."

I esp liked your comment about being able to download 3D content straight though your TV, that's def a bonus feature imo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow /forum/post/20902339

I read your review shortly after you posted it, and you've got some pretty useful info about your exp with 3D. ...I've never used a 3D TV before, but was surprised by how much you disliked the quality of the feature: but for the record Killzone 3 probably isn't a very good test for it (neither any other console game), the best test would be via a PC game. I'm a console gamer myself, but I really don't know how well the console games are able to effectively display a "flawless 3D image."

I esp liked your comment about being able to download 3D content straight though your TV, that's def a bonus feature imo.

Glad you liked it.

So do you think that the crosstalk in games is caused by the content? If so then when can we expect proper 3d implementations or are they even possible?

Also I have a PC with a 120hz Dell alienware monitor and play plenty games in 3d on my dual gtx 580s. However there too there is plenty of crosstalk. So I dont see a clear way t get rid of crosstalk unfortunately.

·
Banned
568 Posts
Unfortunately there will always be a bit of cross talk due to the nature of two images displayed on one screen...as opposed to going to a theater and having two independent projectors each displaying their own part of the image. I'm not well versed in 3D, but I sure do enjoy a 3D film @ the theater. I'm sure there've been some topics about 3D, but I haven't followed them.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow
Unfortunately there will always be a bit of cross talk due to the nature of two images displayed on one screen...as opposed to going to a theater and having two independent projectors each displaying their own part of the image. I'm not well versed in 3D, but I sure do enjoy a 3D film @ the theater. I'm sure there've been some topics about 3D, but I haven't followed them.
I disagree. All they need to do is double the resolution and fix the glasses to only be able see one half of the pixel pairs. Then you get the "movie theater" effect without two separate projectors. Of course, I don't see 3840x1080p screens happening very soon.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I was going to get this set until you said gaming sucks on it. I thought Plasma lag was very low?

Dare I go to LED?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.