AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switch from 480p, to 720p, to 1080i and the difference is neglible at best. Is that what I should expect? Are my expectations too high? I fully expected this player to at least approach the pq of hbo/showtime/etc hd cable channels. Is it my settings? What am i missing?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Is this DVI connection? Oppo does not upconvert via component (480p only). What is your Panny native resolution. If it's EDTV (853x480) then upconversion does not add any benefit. If it's 1024X768 or 1368X768 then 1080i should be better. Upconversion does not equal HDTV. DVD content also play a role with better transfer looking better than older, poor transfer. Try a good transfer DVD like Superbit Fifth Element (check the DVD software section of this board for more recommendations).

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey
Is this DVI connection? Oppo does not upconvert via component (480p only).
I think you meant to say 480i.

Assuming the DVI connection and all that, and your LCD is at least 720p, then it is quite likely the scaler in your TV is about as good as the scaler in the player especially on a smaller screen like yours.

BTW, upconverted DVD will NEVER look as good as HD.

Dave

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
The Panasonic scaler is a pretty good one. I could tell by how good 480i DVDs were playing in my 50" RP-LCD, that it would be unlikely that an upscaling player would do any better.

You have learned an important lesson. Don't always believe the hype.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I own this display and am very satisfied with it. I have yet to see any SDE at all, and I have yet to be dissapointed at the black levels because of a lack of depth in a scene. I'm not surprised that this display has a good scaler because it makes my crappy standby DVD player look good and looks crisp when I use custom resolutions from my PC. I plan on connecting a DVR to the component inputs and sticking with SD cable awhile longer. I'll use the HDMI port for an S97S. I hope I can see some difference using the HDMI upscaling with this display, but whatever improvement I see will most likely be because my current DVD player is so craptastic.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
then it is quite likely the scaler in your TV is about as good as the scaler in the player especially on a smaller screen like yours.
:eek: its no movie theater, but its hardly small. my wife told me it was a good size :p

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker
I fully expected this player to at least approach the pq of hbo/showtime/etc hd cable channels.
Why? You can't create data. Interpolation, at best, may look better, but it can't replace the actual pixels that would be there with inherent HD resolution.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker
I switch from 480p, to 720p, to 1080i and the difference is neglible at best. Is that what I should expect? Are my expectations too high? I fully expected this player to at least approach the pq of hbo/showtime/etc hd cable channels. Is it my settings? What am i missing?
Well, it is my opinion, and I realize that many fellow forum members here would strongly disagree, that upconversion is overhyped on this forum, hence I am not at all surprised that your expectations were set to high. :)

Nevertheless, I think that a digital connection is definitly the best way to connect a DVD player to a digital display device. Which such a connection there are no DA/AD conversion steps and no signal degradation using cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Why? You can't create data. Interpolation, at best, may look better, but it can't replace the actual pixels that would be there with inherent HD resolution.
Interpolation algorithms tend to sharpen things. Now the "sharper is better" mantra is not one I particularly agree with. :)

Sure text and lines can benefit from sharpen algorithms but clouds, skin, forests and particuarly out of focus objects in the background, which are a significant part of any movie, do not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I have been waiting for my s97s for over a month now as it is on back-order. I have learned not to have big expectations from it either. I also have a crappy dvd player with components attached to my Pio 5050. The scaler on the pio does an incredible job. I don't think that when I get the s97s, that there will be a noticeable difference. To me anyway. Just like htpcfan said " digital connection is definitely the best way to connect a DVD player to a digital display device". Since my pio has 2 hdmi, I would like an hdmi DVD player.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Why? Because if you read these forums enough, you find MANY posts touting "near HD" or as good as HBO HD (especially on D*). The hype here (from some) is out of control, creating unrealistic expectations.

(For the record, to my eyes, HBO HD on D* has higher resolution but more noise than an upconverted DVD.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same display and I just purchased the S77S. After getting the player menus and display set up correctly and connected through HDMI, my wife told me she noticed a subtle difference between 720p and 1080i. My wife is a good control for this experiment because she could care less, and usually hates it when I fiddle with the menus during a movie. When she told me to turn it back to 1080i because it was "better" I have to assume its a higher quality picture because she doesn't even know what 1080i is. I am very impressed with this display and player in either TBH. LOTR extended edition is amazing... I keep popping in different extended disks from the whole series and skipping to my favorite scenes. I have compared scenes from a HTPC guide that used LOTR and my setup and the results are very similar, and actually has finer detail on textures of the elvin cloaks. I can even see small groups of hairs on the characters blowing in the wind with decent detail. (mouse over the LOTR picture to see the post HTPC video processing that I compared my S77S to)

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_5

It really wasn't until after I purchased the S77S that I realized that everyone in the LOTR was having a bad hair day. I am very happy with the purchase. I was about to invest in a HTPC setup to upscale and process video, but I would have spent far more and probably have suffered greatly from Ijustboughtcrapitis.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJacksAmygdala
My wife is a good control for this experiment because she could care less, and usually hates it when I fiddle with the menus during a movie. When she told me to turn it back to 1080i because it was "better" I have to assume its a higher quality picture because she doesn't even know what 1080i is.
IWE (Indifferent Wife Effect) is truly a powerful, inconsistent, and mystic phenomenon when it comes to home theater. Last nite while trying to teach my MX-500 remote codes from my MX-700, IWE first was agitated that I would spend an inordinate amount of time on such a seemingly meaningless task rather than talk about "her day", then after I explained how the MX-700 can download codes but the MX-500 cannot IWE frustratedly suggested buying another MX-700 - lose/win?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.