AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't believe the Zenith 520 has a firewire connection. But it does have DVI. Is there a DVI to firewire converter or something? Or I am just screwed? Are there any STB's out there that have firewire out so this will work?

BTW, I don't have a DVHS player yet, but I'm looking at the possiblities. I would love to be able to record HD content from my DirecTV HD box. But I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sadcaper
I don't believe the Zenith 520 has a firewire connection. But it does have DVI. Is there a DVI to firewire converter or something? Or I am just screwed? Are there any STB's out there that have firewire out so this will work?

BTW, I don't have a DVHS player yet, but I'm looking at the possiblities. I would love to be able to record HD content from my DirecTV HD box. But I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Thanks!
Firewire is intended to carry the DTV encoded data stream, tapping in after a tuner but before the decoder.

DVI is an uncompressed video display stream (HxV pixels @ nn Hz) which is the output of the decoder -> video subsystem. 1920x1080 @ 30 Hz = >180MB per second of raw data (assuming 24-bit colour).

No DVHS could handle that massive data stream without first doing a HD MPEG-2 encode. That would be very expensive and never likely to be available unless analogue HD recording is also allowed to occur.

So, while theoretically a DVI -> Firewire converter could be created, in reality it would serve no useful purpose for DVHS or HD-PVR.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
DirecTV has up to now embraced DVI/HDCP as the only digital output pathway for their reference designs. However, it was casually noted a few months ago on this forum--by some in the know--that this stance may very well be relaxed in some not-too-distant future, meaning that we could see Firewire deployed in support of recording/timeshifting to D-VHS decks. I'll see it when I believe it. No timeframes, no firm validation--still just rumor/speculation at this stage of the game. FWIW, the only current HD STBs that support Firewire are OTA only.

That said, the ONLY mechanism to record HD from DirecTV is the 169time Firewire modification for the 1st generation RCA DTC-100 STB. If you want to learn more, go to www.169time.com, but understand that it is expensive and still undergoing a bug shakeout.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.