Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just cam back from auditioning Martin Logan Mosaics--WOW!!!!!!

The sound was spectacular especially the MIDS they were SPECTACULAR!. They were driven by a NAD reciever.

My only problems is they are 2K (30% over my budget). I want to spend a total of ~2K (+ or - 200) for the FL, FR and Center Channel. Can anyone guide me in the right direction. What brands sound close to the ML mosaics and would be in my price range? I have been reading this forum quite a while and really impressed by the reviews tha Ascends and Swans are getting--Do they sound similar?

Please help :confused:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
My only problems is they are 2K (30% over my budget).
Well, if you can get the dealer to come down 15%, then you'll only be about 15% over your budget. It's a small price to pay if you're getting the speakers that you really want. Otherwise, you'll buy a lesser-priced speaker and always have that desire for the MLs. Then, when you sell off the old set and go for the MLs, your upgrade will cost more than 15%.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I fell in love with the Mosaics too. I don't know if Totems (Arro, Sttaf, Hawk) are similar (I am new at this), but they are right up there as my finalists along with the Mosaics. The advantage (for me) of the Totems is that they don't need as much space as the Mosaics, which ideally should be placed 2-3 ft from the back wall.

For me they have in common:

a) ability to disappear into the room

b) much more attractive than most speakers - high WAF

As for pricing, it's 3k for Mosaics + Fresco. With Totem you can go Arro + Dreamcatcher for 1.5k, then upgrade at any time over the next 12 months by paying the difference.

Personally the Hawks + Rainmaker center (3.4k) are taunting me... but Mosaics + Fresco are neck and neck...

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
tarigaad ...I head those ML's as well as a dozen+ other speakers at a local Magnolia,Goodguys,Bestbuy,Fry's,Circuitcity,Genesis Audio and so on....so far those are the best sounding speakers...and as you they cost more than I am willing to spend at this time.

If I did get the ML Mosaics...what surround speaker would work well with those?

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Fresco and vignette match the Mosaics - if I get the Mosaics I'd go Fresco center and Vignette rear surrounds. I've gotten that from 2 dealers as well as from a Martin Logan employee.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Tweeter is discontinuing to sell the Mosaics and so is selling them at a big discount if you can find some left (about $1,100 or so for a pair). I have the Mosaics and second the Fresco for the center. The Vignettes would be great rears.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
Well, if you can get the dealer to come down 15%, then you'll only be about 15% over your budget. It's a small price to pay if you're getting the speakers that you really want. Otherwise, you'll buy a lesser-priced speaker and always have that desire for the MLs. Then, when you sell off the old set and go for the MLs, your upgrade will cost more than 15%.

Good advice. Its false economy to buy an alternate when you're this close. Its very likely, you'll wind up getting the MLs anyway, so don't waste your money on some others only to sell them later to get the MLs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your responses. I took my wife to audition them yest. She loves them too. Once concerm we did have (since we listen to Hip/Hop and Reggae) is the lack of base. The audio shop was using a ML 12" subwoofer. What other subwoofers (room size 25*20*8) have you used?

daryl zero-- Which tweeter? If i can find them for that price I'll take 2 pairs. I am in NJ so no tweeter here and i dont see them on tweeter.com either

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spoke too soon found some locations in NJ calling them. Unfotrunately, they do not have them in stock. The clerk is going to call me back.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarigaad
daryl zero-- Which tweeter? If i can find them for that price I'll take 2 pairs. I am in NJ so no tweeter here and i dont see them on tweeter.com either
Sorry, I don't know. Just reporting what I saw on the Martin Logan forum site:

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum...=mosaic+review

And reviewing the thread the price was $688 each which is still great.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would suggest that you listen to many different recordings. Bring a huge variety of your favourties with you. Martin Logan can be extremely impressive, but you also need to explore their weaknesses. As you've mentioned, you are concerned about the level/amount of bass...if this is a make or break situation, you'll either want to look elsewhere or tack a good subwoofer on to your bill, which can be quite expensive as well. It's really tough to recommend alternatives to Martin Logan, as really, there aren't many - if you like that sound, you like it and have to have it. You may also want to explore Magnepans, and see if you enjoy them as much. You might enjoy their bass performance more, and they can be somewhat cheaper.

Aside from that go listen to every local dealer and see what they have. Listen, listen, listen. Take 5-10 of your most played recordings and buy whatever makes you smile from ear to ear for all or most of them.

-Craig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All,

I just procured 2 immaculate black Mosaics pairs (floor models 2-4months) for 2K from Tweeter. Thanks Daryl Zero for all your help. For that price evern floor models are worth it for me. I absolutely love the sound.

I would probably have to get a dual subwoofer (not sure?) solution (room size 25*20*8). I heard the Def Tech and Logan Subs at Magnolia; was not impressed by either. I want something that is crisp and clean sounding (not boomy). I also have to get the Fresco center. Anyone one know if i buy the silver fresco can i "convert" it to black (swap out the grill etc)?

More research to come (SUB & reciever).

Once again thank you ALL for your help.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
For a sub, if price is an issue, you could check out the PSB Subsonic 5i or 6i. I have the 6i which is pretty nice--got it below $500. It isn't top of the line or anything but both have garnered pretty good reviews.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.