AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure I understand the big deal about flexibility of placement...it's only another foot or two to play with, right? Like y'all keep talking about how this Epson 8350 offers great flexibility of placement, but I'm looking in the manual and the lens shift seems rather hamstrung, with the horizontal moving along with the vertical such that you can't max out on both simultaneously....

Just not really sure what the big deal is with placement flexibility...seems like a convenience of only a foot or two...? Besides, sounds like y'all have dedicated set-ups such as theater rooms and "man-caves"....

Is placement flexibility, so-called, really worth an extra hundred to two or three hundred dollars when all else are more or less (or more than less!) equal??

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have jsut spent the last 7 hours screwing around with a cable suspension mount system after replacing my Optoma HD70 with an Acer H5360. (i know not high end, but still)

Due to different throws/zooom, and the lack of a horizontal shift, I couldn't simply replace the new PJ on the old mount. As the mount is built in, (silly me not taking this into consideration when we built the house) and needing to move the projector forward by 5.58 inches and over two inches to secure into a ceiling stud, then adjusting the pitch/focus/zoom/ focus, adjust/ more pitch, less pitch, get the pitch lock it in, whoops too much, bring it up...

i know have the top of the field even with my masking but have a 5 inch gap at the bottom.

Going to work on fixing that gap tomorrow but i think i got a good idea of where to go with it.

It would have been much easier to manage with lens shift and a steel stud system..

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
It all depends on what you are doing, your room limitations and knowledge limitations. If there are no limitations that prevent you from using a fixed offset projector, then you don't need lens sift and larger zoom. If after a year of having your projector installed, you figure out you want to try a high gain Dalite HP screen, you will need to lower your projector to just above head level ..oops, can not really do that with out lens sift so you would have to table mount the projector to get max gain of that screen. I prefer the picture of DLP over LCD and until the room limitations or cost of lens sift DLP model stops me, I will stay with fixed offset. So in the end, you have to understand which display technology you really like best, then look at what your plans are for the install and figure out what will be best. If you don't want to figure out all the details, go with flexibility so you can sit back and enjoy the movie.

Example: I have seen (on this site) pictures of a living room setup using lens shift where the projector is mounted on the side wall behind the seating and the screen is in the center (living room set up) You would need a unit with a large amount of lens shift to pull this off. This was done because there was no back wall in the open floor plan and the projector would be in the way mounted in the center of the room.

Here is the thread..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=lens+shift

·
Registered
729 Posts
Placement flexibility can be really important, and that mere "foot or two" can rule out some projectors for a given room. We have an RS15 in the living room in our primary residence, where a High Power screen fabric required that the projector be mounted at eye level on the back wall of a 20 foot deep room. It took the long throw of the RS15, along with some lens shift, to handle that room. More recently, we needed a projector for a yet deeper room (again, with High Power fabric) for our villa on St. John. Another RS15 wouldn't cut it (there were also limitations on the screen size). The recently released Epson 8350 fit the bill perfectly. In that case, we needed both the very long throw of the Epson (which is the longest of any sub $10K projector), as well as its extensive lens shift, to make the installation work.

By the way, all projectors have to trade off vertical vs horizontal lens shift if you use a lot of either.

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts